Author Topic: "Starving" Predators?  (Read 4336 times)

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
"Starving" Predators?
« on: November 02, 2013, 01:53:29 am »
About a week ago I was roleplaying my horse character on a custom map, and there was a pack of wolves roleplaying also. The pack only had three members online at the moment, and as I read their roleplay posts, I noticed that they were starving. They ask if they can kill my character (and become alive again, of course), and I accepted.

So we begin the chase, and luckily for me they weren't powerplayers or anything like that. They were semi-realistic wolves, literate, and I could tell they were trying really hard to make the whole hunt fair.

But the only thing I noticed, is that they seemed to easily run up to my character and bite her as she was running at top speed. I didn't say anything (I was going along with it), but I was wondering, "Aren't these wolves starving? How can they be so strong if they are so low on fuel?"

So it comes to the point where my horse is standing her ground. They are able to jump up all the way to her neck with no difficulty, they never seemed to get tired in rp or anything. It's as if they weren't even starving at all. (And yes, they did eventually kill my character. xD)

I never actually ended up saying anything to the wolves about this, only because it was a fun and great roleplay. But... shouldn't people be a little more realistic with the state of health their characters are in in any kind of roleplay? Post your opinions and experiences of this below~

Farewell everyone<3

Offline Tigerheart08

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • Tigerheart08 in-game
    • View Profile
Re: "Starving" Predators?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 02:38:06 am »
Agreed. I almost always make my character weaker than I would prefer because of the way I create them, and then others assume I'm  bad at RPing because I can't kill a full grown wolf as a cat xD

Follow the damned.. I have lost the way again

Offline Birdi

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 25
  • Whatcha lookin at chump?(Ingame user: Birdi)
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 03:15:03 am »
I totally agree with you guys, although I do this too. I don't really have a habit of remembering how hungry my character is, and not many people in this game have actually been starving/in poverty or something like that. It is sometimes hard to understand your character if you've never truly been in a situation like it. I never make my characters weak when hungry. Why? I don't know, it's a habit. I guess it's never occurred to me how you actually feel when hungry, so I just dismiss the thought having never thought of it. Sometimes I remember and squeeze it into my post, but not naturally.

Offline peete

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Pineapples...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 02:21:04 pm »
Maybe they were so hungry they used up the rest of their energy to kill you.
No Jk but really...

Or maybe they didn't take the time to Rp about the adrenaline going through their bodies....There's a few things that could explain why they did that (even if they didn't realize). But yeah if they were to understand those hunger effects it would've been more realistic like you said.

INACTIVE BECAUSE OF INTERNET ISSUES...

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 03:14:20 pm »
I have always thought this.

Most animals in the wild need food to give them energy, am I correct? Now, when animals lose energy/don't have a lot, they become weak, and this makes it more difficult for an animal to hunt, if they're are carnivore or omnivore that is. Due to this starvation, depending on the species, an animal could become sick, or even die. Now, this is were I ask myself, where is the extra energy coming from? It's not like they're drinking an energy drink while running.

Here's what I think:

Usually when I'm in an RP as a carnivore, (to others) it seems that a herbivore wouldn't really be that (how to I put this) important, or "roleplay altering". Once, I was in a RP and we were hunting a rabbit because there was no other meat around. So, there we were, running after the rabbit at full speed, totally ignoring the fact we're all starving, and yet, we catch it, and somehow, the "rabbit" feeds the whole pack. .-. In reality, it would be impossible for a small rabbit to feed a whole pack, it probably won't even fulfill one wolf's hunger.

I also think this is a way to keep the RP (again, can't think of the right words. -.-) alive (that is if your the predator). I guess a RP without instructions on how to "hunt" can get pretty boring to some I guess.

Offline meeeea

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 04:56:59 pm »
I never really thought of this, but think again, this doesn't really affect the RP, does it? A lot of people forget about these minor details when fully immersed in a RP, but it doesn't matter to them since it's not something that would ruin everything. That's my take on things.

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 08:15:09 pm »
I remember playing WQ, and when you were near starving, it was very hard to hunt, and you became very slow.
You really should have said something to them, because once you are starving, human, animal, or no, You get very weak, tired, and can start seeing things due to lack of energy, nutrition, and general neccesity from the food that you eat.
Sorry if I got a little techincl but I pay attenton a little to much to survival stuffies xD 

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 05:06:28 pm »
I agree with you all on the subject. Anything that is starving is usually weaker in general. Sometimes, it's a useful tactic to think about the last time you were hungry. How did you feel? Same thing for any living creature that gets hungry. They feel weak and less active.    

I never really thought of this, but think again, this doesn't really affect the RP, does it? A lot of people forget about these minor details when fully immersed in a RP, but it doesn't matter to them since it's not something that would ruin everything. That's my take on things.
Yes, that could be a factor, too. Sometimes when you are in the middle of fun, you tend to let logic just float away. But, then, it's actually more entertaining to play the starving predator and the defending prey in a creative, yet rational way. No matter what you are, it's all about keeping one another entertained while being fair.  
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline peete

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Pineapples...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 06:32:05 pm »
(I felt like adding another thought on this):

Okay so while it would've been realistic for the wolves to act weaker due to hunger, if they actually did, wouldn't it make the Rp freakishly short? Imagine; the wolves are so weak but attempt to chase down the horse...

Well of course the horse would get away assuming it's healthy if it's running at full speed. Well the wolves wouldn't go back to try and outrun the horse again because they've used up their energy. ~The End~.

So I guess you have to level out the realism or otherwise it would be too realistic, boring, and short...unless you like to Rp like that. :P

INACTIVE BECAUSE OF INTERNET ISSUES...

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 08:14:36 pm »
(I felt like adding another thought on this):

Okay so while it would've been realistic for the wolves to act weaker due to hunger, if they actually did, wouldn't it make the Rp freakishly short? Imagine; the wolves are so weak but attempt to chase down the horse...

Well of course the horse would get away assuming it's healthy if it's running at full speed. Well the wolves wouldn't go back to try and outrun the horse again because they've used up their energy. ~The End~.

So I guess you have to level out the realism or otherwise it would be too realistic, boring, and short...unless you like to Rp like that. :P
You do have a good point there, Devil. However, I'm sure if any type of predator were to be starving, they would desperately do everything in their power to get food, so I don't think they would just give up the hunt. But if the whole "chase the prey and corner" plan wasn't working, people would get their character to think of a better plan. Then it would get interesting. ;3
Farewell everyone<3