Author Topic: Triple Crown bound?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Jackkdaw

• The Fabulous
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 138
  • actual cannibal
    • http://jackkdaw.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile
Triple Crown bound?
« on: May 18, 2014, 03:20:44 pm »
'Allos.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering how many of you floofs follow the great sport of horse racing- mostly because I'm still super pumped about yesterday's Preakness run by the Kentucky Derby winner, California Chrome.

For those who don't know much about it, each year in horse racing there are three huge races. The Kentucky Derby, the Preakness Stakes, and then the Belmont Stakes. All three races together are called the Triple Crown. No horse has won all three since Affirmed in 1978. Which is why it's such a big deal that the Kentucky Derby winner this year (California Chrome) won the Preakness. This means he's one step closer to possibly becoming the first Triple Crown winner since '78!

I absolutely adore horse racing. Those horses are pure athletes, and I admire their power, energy, and beauty.

So, anyone else a fan of the Sport of Kings?
If so, how do you feel about California Chrome- or horse racing in general?

I, for one, think he's got what it takes to beat the odds and take the Crown. Consider me a "Chromie" I'm rootin' for the big guy in the Belmont two weeks from now! <3

In-Game as: Jackkdaw
On DeviantART as Jackkdaw
sig by me

Rizzla

Re: Triple Crown bound?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 03:38:09 pm »
Considering both of my parents were jockeys, yeah, I watch horse racing quite a bit. I think Chrome's got it in him, as well... Go chromie! xD
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:07:24 pm by Rizzla »

Offline Jackkdaw

• The Fabulous
  • Honored Hero
  • actual cannibal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 05:33:44 pm »
Considering both of my parents were jockeys, yeah, I watch horse racing quite a bit. I think Chrome's got it in him, as well... Go chromie! xD

:O Whaaaat? That's so cool! I'm a little jelly to be honest. ;3
Good to see another racin' fan around here!
sig by me

Offline Spottedbears

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • mister sandman, bring me a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 07:30:18 pm »
i love horse racing! i go to saratoga almost every sunday in the summertime, and sometimes three times a week! my dad's girlfriend works at the races, to we get a table early! (tables.. oh gosh, the RUSH for tABLES!)

the thing about tables is that you gotta get there RIGHT when the gates open or you'll have to stand all day. if you get a table you can sit there and wait til the next race, eat snacks, and then get up (but leave your stuff there) and head to the track! if you don't have a table.. good luck staying there for hours, unless you have a friend. it's super duper fun!

sorry for the tangent ;n; but yeah! i can't wait to see the winner of the triple crown.

thankfully, i live maybe half an hour from the saratoga racetrack : D so i can go all the time
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 11:16:04 pm by Spottedbears »

Art by me!
DA: Chrome-domey
Tumblr: Cassiopirate
Need preset, animating, or map help? PM me!

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 10:31:39 pm »
Oh indeed I am. I've been watching the races and I can't wait for the Belmont stakes soon. California Chrome has definitely been a fun one to watch as well. It's nice to see that some floofies around here are also tuning in :)

Offline liontamer1

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • I wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 11:32:59 pm »
I don't really like horse racing. I think it's cruel. Horses are forced to run when they are still colts/fillies, and are often given drugs.

My mother worked at a track in her early twenties. She has quite a few nasty tales.

Anyway, I think Chrome has it in him to win. You can see that in both races, his jockey wasn't letting him go completely. He still had some energy in the tank.

Even though I don't support racing, I wish best of luck to Chrome, his rider, his owners and everyone in the industry.
\
Take me, I am not afraid

Offline Jackkdaw

• The Fabulous
  • Honored Hero
  • actual cannibal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 11:41:13 pm »
Oh indeed I am. I've been watching the races and I can't wait for the Belmont stakes soon. California Chrome has definitely been a fun one to watch as well. It's nice to see that some floofies around here are also tuning in :)

Wooo, glad you're rootin' for him as well!

I don't really like horse racing. I think it's cruel. Horses are forced to run when they are still colts/fillies, and are often given drugs.

My mother worked at a track in her early twenties. She has quite a few nasty tales.

Anyway, I think Chrome has it in him to win. You can see that in both races, his jockey wasn't letting him go completely. He still had some energy in the tank.

Even though I don't support racing, I wish best of luck to Chrome, his rider, his owners and everyone in the industry.

Aye, it did used to be a very shady industry; however, currently there are rules and laws in place that prevent drugging. The horses are well taken care of- well, the have to be in order to perform their best. While I'm not doubting for a second there are still those messed up tales behind the scenes, for the most part the horses are considered athletes and treated as such. They're racing as colts/fillies simply because that's when they're considered to be in their racing prime. Now, I'm not speaking from experience or anything, that's just what I've come to learn in my years of following the sport. ;3

Heh, I've noticed that as well. I'm very excited to see what's in store for Chromie! :D
sig by me