Author Topic: Apterwyrms [Dragons]  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Whirlybird

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Apterwyrms [Dragons]
« on: March 29, 2015, 03:48:03 am »
While these guys aren't a species in themselves, they are a subspecies. I made a chart to make it easier to read, you can find it below!

Species: Dragon

Subspecies: Apterwyrm

Also known as: Chubby wingless dragons, Bouncy ball dragons, Apters

Lifespan: 300-500 years

Weight: 3-5 tonnes

Height: Between 5-6 ft. at the shoulder

Length: Between 20-30 ft.

Communication: Basic draconic. Warbles, chirps, squeaks and trills are common sounds made within the subspecies.

Colors: Bright green, blue and red are most common. Orange, white, and yellow are rare. Purple and pink are extremely rare. Black, grey and brown are non-existent. Spines and horns can be any metallic color [ie. silver, gold, bronze etc], always lighter in shade. Tongues and innards are commonly azure blue, though orange and yellow are sometimes seen. Blood is always silver in color.

Markings: These are subtle and natural looking, and are always a darker shade of the coat. Dapples, dorsal stripes and spots are common.

Build: Wingless. Generally rounded bodies, with round faces, foreheads and jaws. Muzzles are shortish, with slight overbites common. Nostrils are set wide apart. Four legs, with hind legs longer than the front. Large paws with short toes. Fore paws have three toes with a dewclaw, while hind paws have four toes and a dewclaw. Claws are sharp and thick. Small, rounded, flexible ears. Few Apters are born without visible ears. Eyes are large and rounded, and have a bright playful look to them. Large, rounded layered scales, with larger plated scales running from the neck to the base of the tail. Short rounded spines along the jawline, and run from the head to the tail. Some have spines on their elbow joints. A [usually] short pair of horns, any shape [ie. rounded, curled etc]. Apters have thick spadeless tails. While Apters are not 'fat' dragons, they are not lean either. They do have well-built muscles in their legs, chest and tail, but many affectionately call them "chubby" otherwise.

Natural skills: Their long legs give these dragons great jumping power, think something similar to a mountain goat. In that respect, they are also excellent climbers; their large claws and long muscled tails provide grip and balance respectively.

Magic abilities: Each dragon has control over one magical element. The dragons' skin is resistant to whichever element they possess. They can also summon small elementals corresponding to their element, and have breath powers to match. Minor control over the elements natural state is also common [ie. water magic controls lake/river movement, air magic can create small whirlwinds etc].

Pictures:
Here's my boy Aine, without a custom skin.

Here's Aine again in a colored skin. I will add markings later, he is supposed to be dapple [coloring this took far longer than I thought]. This lovely skin is credited to here. The second one is just showing off his blue tongue.

Though I do wish we could make our characters chubbier~</3.

If anyone is interested in making one of these chubs, please let me know! Also, please tell me if any of this is hard to read or understand, I will answer any and all questions. Or, if you think of something to add or improve upon, please feel free to let me know as well. Thanks! ~<3
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 10:57:13 pm by Whirlybird »
You can also find me on Chicken Smoothie under the same name, Whirlybird.

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
Re: Apterwyrms [Dragons]
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 02:15:01 pm »
mmm, these sound rather cute, hoohoo.
ye've given quite good information'n i am sure others will enjoy readin' about 'em too.
{to upload pictures, you must go to an image hostin' website; tinypic.com is good. once ye're there, ye' can upload the picture'n then copy the [img] code(also known as the forum code). ye can then paste it on ye're post'n if everything goes alright, others will be able to see the picture.}
i cannot wait to see those pictures!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 02:20:36 pm by thedumbmutt »
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline Whirlybird

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 05:55:12 pm »
Why thank you! I thank you for the info as well, it seems simple enough. c: I'll be posting some in-game pictures shortly, then I'll likely draw another one.
Cheers!

You can also find me on Chicken Smoothie under the same name, Whirlybird.

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 07:20:57 pm »
oooh, ye're welcome darlin'.
[= glad i could be an aid!
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!