Author Topic: hey furries i have some questions  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Algebra

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • missalgebra
    • View Profile
hey furries i have some questions
« on: October 26, 2016, 04:17:28 pm »
i see furries everywhere, especially in FH. personally i'm not too fond of those who dress up as animals for personal enjoyment-but you do you. i was just curious on what a furry is and i decided to make questions and hope for some answers. i'm being 100% serious no joke. I personally don't enjoy watching adults wear animal costumes and act cute and fuzzy. Please be aware i'm not attempting to be rude, just stating a personal opinion that can be fixed I suppose; it's just I never personally met a furry despite ones online, and they have some odd...obsessions.

Once again I deeply apologize if I come off too direct or rude.

why do you do it?

when did you find out you were a furry?

don't you find it odd or weird?

why do you find enjoyment out of it?

doesn't humanized animals seem taboo?

do you get judged or harass for being a furry?

isn't is sweaty in there? aren't you riddled with skin tags?

READ BELOW

I am not personally directing this post to anyone, the title clearly says 'Hey Furries', therefore the post is directed to those who are furries. In no way did I mean this as an insult, and you shouldn't take it as an insult in general. I was asking questions for those who are furries because I was curious. I tried my best to NOT come off as rude but I suppose i'll be a little more careful next time. 8)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 02:33:59 pm by Algebra »

Offline Melon

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 35
  • God in their worst form.
    • jennfelde
    • View Profile
Re: hey furries i have some questions
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 01:42:52 am »
What the people say below is awesome.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 02:26:34 am by Wintersong »
Attempting to get more active. Enjoy the day!

Cheers!

Offline Kalaban

• Experienced Traveler
  • #TooLazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 02:36:38 am »
From my standpoint; we are not at all furries, but I can see where you are coming from. Animals, people playing them.... furries is established from stereotypes lodged in your head, etc.

I'm not saying there is not furries in this game, I'm saying that we do not in essence put ourself into a character and call it us. Every character I've seen from members in Feral Heart is a different person entirely inspired by their personalities. They have different beliefs; but enough personality from the creator that the creator can relate and roleplay with their creation.

Think of it as... creating characters for a movie, or book; in essence.

Does that help you understand? (Trying not to come off as a bit rude even though being called a furry was insulting to me.)
In-game Username: Kalaban

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 03:32:21 am »
I don't consider myself a furry but I have been labeled as one so I'll try to answer this to the best of my ability with my knowledge on the subject.

People who are considered as "furries" usually are just people who really love animals and anthro animals in general. I know that there is a very sad stereotype that many of them "like" animals in inappropriate ways (which I will not go into detail nor should anyone else)... This often is NOT true and is grossly exaggerated by people who just don't understand them. As with any types of "fandoms" there will be those folks who take things to weird and inappropriate extremes but most furries are simply people who innocently love animals and or like to pretend to be them because of it.

It's not hard to understand why furries love animals as animals are so beautiful, interesting, and different from humans. Some furries go as far as creating "fursonas" or animal characters that they personify with their own characteristics or just characteristics they perhaps like or wished in themself. Some of them even buy fursuits of their character(s) or various "furry" characters. These fursuit wearers aren't much different from people who cosplay anime or characters of other various things. For most furries being someone or something they are not is simply fun... For others perhaps an escape. There is a sense of innocent freedom and fun that comes with wearing a costume and "becoming" someone or something else.

In my eyes furries are basically like animal cosplayers. I don't hate them, and I don't think there is any reason why anyone should. They're a terribly misunderstood group of folks. I believe that as long as no one is doing anything morally wrong and they're happy then there's nothing wrong with it. Maybe the furry style is not for everyone but there's no need to knock it or those that dig it because of that ^^

Honestly I actually love the fur suits and think they look really fun and cool. I wouldn't be ashamed to say I would love one of my own character if I could afford it and yet alone found the right time and place to run around in it xD (If that makes me a furry then so be it I'm a furry and darn proud lol)

Answering your specific questions though:

1.) why do you do it?

1a.) I don't consider myself as a furry but I do have a "fursona" in a sense and in that case I do it or have him because he serves as my internet face. I don't want strangers knowing my actual identity but I like to personify myself through a character I like and created. It's a form of expression and just fun. Though I'm not my character he has personality traits that resemble me. I have grown closer to my character and value him more now because over the years he has come to represent my stay on Feral Heart and thus all that I've experienced and held dear in this community. Many have come to recognize my character as "me" so he has become much more to me than just some made up character. In a way he's like a personal mascot. It's hard to explain.

2.) when did you find out you were a furry?

2a.) Some people around here have called me one although I've never really considered myself as this thing but rather just as someone who loves animals and created a silly character because of it.

3.) don't you find it odd or weird?

3a.) Not at all. So long as people don't take it to the extremes of totally abandoning their identity, hurting others, and or doing inappropriate things. It's like any other fandom or hobby.

4.) why do you find enjoyment out of it?

4a.) Probably for the same reason why anime cosplayers enjoy what they do. It's just fun to pretend and be someone or something you're not or could never be.

5.) doesn't humanized animals seem taboo?

5a.) Nope. Humans are animals. Humans and animals share a place on this same planet. Animals have played a huge role in our existence and evolution. Many cultures before have humanized animals in folklore and legend. Furries can be seen as people who just love, respect, admire, and praise animals for all that they are. Taboo to me is if they're doing cruel and or inappropriate things to animals. Wearing a costume of a fictional humanized animal, pretending to be a humanized animal etc is not taboo. Silly? Maybe to some sure, but not taboo.

6.) do you get judged or harass for being a furry?

6a.) Due to the negative stereotypes put on furries I've seen othsrs teased and bullied for it. Even I've been ridiculed from some trolls who mistook me as a furry. It's quite immature and sad really.

7). isn't is sweaty in there? aren't you riddled with skin tags?

7a.) I've never warn a fursuit but I would imagine that it's all dependent on the individual and the materials used, how long they are in it etc... As for skin tags, those don't come from fursuits or sweating? Skin tags can develop from numerous different reasons. Seems a bit odd to suggest them as though they are some sort of exclusively fursuit related thing.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 03:40:58 am by SoulScarredStray »

Offline Algebra

• Curious Wanderer
    • missalgebra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 02:11:02 am »
Some of us may be furries, but not all of us are. I may be overreacting, but some of us may like being furries or furries while some may not. 

The post was directed to those who are furries, not saying all people at FH are furries x)

Offline Algebra

• Curious Wanderer
    • missalgebra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 02:22:48 am »
@SoulScarredStray
Hopefully I reply correctly.

Thanks for your input. I never correctly understood furries, and assumed it was more for inappropriate uses. I, myself, find enjoyments with animals as well but the comparison to an animal and a cartoony, standing character doesn't make sense to me.
I like how you compared that enjoyment dressing up as one is as equal to cosplayers; since I cosplay a lot.

Most importantly, thank you very much for providing information and personal intake. I never understood furries and thought it was more involved inappropriate desire. I apologize for my assumptions getting the best of me. x)

For those who read this post and the original post. I do not mean to come off as rude! I was curious and thought i'd get answers from here. You all changed my mind of what furries are and the majority who do it for good and how there are stereotypes. Love you all! Hopefully my point came across :) !