Author Topic: Your Favorite "Talking Animal" Books (Redwall, Warriors, Watership Down, etc.)  (Read 9330 times)

Offline Abomine

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • I'm that weird chick who's obsessed with deer.
    • View Profile
What are your favorite fantasy/fiction novels in which animals (especially talking ones) are the main characters?

Here are some of mine:

Watership Down by Richard Adams

Fire Bringer by David Clement-Davies (author of The Sight)

Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker

Redwall (the first book, which I think is the best) by Brian Jacques

Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

The Call of the Wild and White Fang by Jack London

The Plague Dogs by Richard Adams (author of Watership Down and Shardik)

Bambi: A Life in the Woods by Felix Salten (this is the awesome book the famous Disney movie is based on)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:29:51 pm by Abomine »

To Isengard! To Isengard!

My deviantART

Offline GhostingHowl

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend.
    • View Profile
Im sure I have more, but I'll just put one for now:

This is a series and when I read them while I was younger I really loved alll of the books. They had elements of adventure, mystery, and romance. :3
Avi has some other great books as well!

Offline Abomine

• View Profile
I saw that book on the library shelves when I was in elementary school, and I honestly regret not picking it up, because I'm currently on a hunt for really good "talking animal" books (it's a large part of the reason why I started this thread in the first place.

I look at the cover of that book and it reminds me of this movie:

My deviantART

Offline GhostingHowl

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
Ah yes the secret of NIMN, that movie was actually based off of a book (which is better than the movie imo). The movie and the book were fairly different.

While Im here I might as well post a couple other books as well~

A book series I really want to pick up! I havent read them yet, but I know they are good.

I am sure that people have heard of this because of the movie, but the books have a lot more depth and are a great read! They are pretty short though there are a lot of them.

Offline FeralFireHeart

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • ~ I Desire Fire ~
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
This book is still sitting on the dusty shelf in my bedroom:

I tried to read it once, but the words were as complicated as someone on FH doing a really really serious Wolf Rp~

Offline Cerizen

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Forum Lurker
    • View Profile

I picked this book up at the local library one day. I loved the plot and how the villian wasn't just evil for the heck of it.

[there's a time and a place for mucking around.]

Offline Abomine

• View Profile
Ah yes the secret of NIMN, that movie was actually based off of a book (which is better than the movie imo). The movie and the book were fairly different.

I knew the book existed, but I've never read it. I really want to, though. I mean, if the film alone was fantastic, then I can only imagine how awesome the book is!

This book is still sitting on the dusty shelf in my bedroom:

I tried to read it once, but the words were as complicated as someone on FH doing a really really serious Wolf Rp~

If you're not interested in that book, by all means send it my way lol! I've been curious about that book because I hear that it's kind of like Watership Down in that it's a book with a cutesy premise about a bunch of adorable woodland creatures dying in horribly brutal ways.

My deviantART

Offline GhostingHowl

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
If you're not interested in that book, by all means send it my way lol! I've been curious about that book because I hear that it's kind of like Watership Down in that it's a book with a cutesy premise about a bunch of adorable woodland creatures dying in horribly brutal ways.

LOL that about sums it up!! XD
There is a cartoon for it on youtube as well! I actually really enjoyed it.

More books~

I reccomend both of these!! There was a third book as well... but that one was kind of meh honestly. It was also extremely confusing and hectic. Not nearly as good as the first two imo.

This is another of his books, but it actually isnt connected to the other ones at all! It is extremely awesome though!! Its about prehistoric bats basically.

Offline Abomine

• View Profile

I reccomend both of these!! There was a third book as well... but that one was kind of meh honestly. It was also extremely confusing and hectic. Not nearly as good as the first two imo.

I heard about those books, and it's certainly intriguing to see bats portrayed as good guys for once. Wasn't it also adapted into a cartoon show?

My deviantART

Offline GhostingHowl

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
Yes it was! The cartoon was okay. It changed some of the book, which I didnt like, but it was still enjoyable to me. Then again, I am not very picky when it comes to certain things.

More books!! I am starting to run low though @_@

All by Bill Wallace as you can see! I read all of these in middle school and I loved them!! Then again I was younger then, so they might be a bit juvinile for anyone over 15 years. No matter how old you are though, they are all enjoyable for their cute main characters :3
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 04:16:36 am by Ghosting »