Author Topic: Another Animal MMORPG?  (Read 9104 times)

Offline antherax

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 19
    • View Profile
Another Animal MMORPG?
« on: February 11, 2014, 01:59:21 am »
Before I begin, I'm not trying to offend anybody, but here me out on this.
On the "Other Games" Section, it seems everyday there is a new topic for some homemade MMORPG with animals.
They usually contain this
1. Create you own animal (usually including wolf, or cat)
2. Hunt Prey!
3. Have PVP
4. etc.
They all seem the same. I mean, if you want to make a game, but keep in mind how much work a game is. Have you SEEN the credits for a game? Some games take decades to develop. Code is one big thing. I feel like a lot of games are going way too ambitious with their projects. Most of these are only made by a team of just a couple of teens. Look, I'm glad you want to make your own game, but can you try something new?
How about 2D Side Scroller?
A First Person shooter? (however that would work out, how about an anthro dog who wields a gun..?
You know what I WANT to make? I turn-based Tactical RPG with Warrior Cats. That sounds refreshing, I suppose? Yeah, a lot of people seem to like MMOs,
but it's always fun to try a new genre.
Again, I'm not trying to hurt your feelings or discourage you, but I would really like somebody to try a new type of genre, and something that they might actually be able to handle.

Anybody else share similar thoughts? Or have a objection to mine....?
dead account

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
Re: Another Animal MMORPG?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 03:22:11 am »
I will not argue with the intentions of this post and what it wants to say since I agree with it.

But I do believe a good majority(not all) of the game threads that gets put up are pretty much modified versions of Impressive Title servers, since the game became open source a few years ago people have come and gone with their IT games and servers, the base for many of these things already exist in that game and it's probably a good place to start if you want to learn more or less about how it is to code for it or just host one in general.

Another thing I believe is important to put out there is that we all can see great potential in a bigger MMO animal game just like IT was and FH still is, many people have throughout the time thought about all these fancy ideas, additions and experiments that could be done with a game like FeralHeart so it's not surprising that people want to make new ones or put their own spice onto it, in ways FeralHeart is a big chat room more than it is a game depending on how you turn the table and just look on the attention it has gotten over the years and constant flow of users joining in on it, this even though it has remained fairly the same all this time with lack of updates and additions.

This probably causes people to want to try their own thing, their own animal game, and posting in an Animal game related forum about it sure would spike at least some peoples ears since pretty much all share a similar interest for it around here. This is why I believe there's so many games with the similar content and based around the same ideas.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline shusuke

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 11:07:29 pm »
When it comes to games the main issue that I see is that it's often run by people who are very young and always intend to "have the game out soon". The average development time of a game from a professional company is anywhere between 2-5 years, depending on the deadline they've set for themselves.

Another part about it is that games usually aren't fully announced until there's something going for it. Like, you would hear someone saying "working on a new ___ title", but you don't see exactly WHAT it is until there's some actual footage of the game most of the time. A lot of these in-development games that pop up are simply the idea and not much more, which can put up a lot of pressure because there is just so, so much to be done with making a game. So much.

There's also times where these games steal material for their forums or game or don't give proper credit or even permission to use it, or that the models being used for the game are so high poly that they shouldn't even be used for the kind of game they're aiming for (or are stolen as somewhat alluded to before).

The most annoying part of them is probably when there's 'staff applications' for these projects. You want to make a game...but...are asking a programmer to help you...? For free...? It doesn't work like that, mate.

I enjoy that people have imagination and want to make games out of it but...the sheer underestimation that people have in how hard it is to make a game and all of the little things that go into it incredibly irk me. It's not like making paper planes, it's folding thousands of origami cranes. And the weird lack of understanding in that is just...eehhhhh

Offline antherax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 02:47:04 am »
The average development time of a game from a professional company is anywhere between 2-5 years, depending on the deadline

hard it is to make a game and all of the little things that go into it incredibly irk me. It's not like making paper planes, it's folding thousands of origami cranes. And the weird lack of understanding in that is just...eehhhhh

Exactly. Yes. I always see them asking for coders, modelers, and other stuff. If you can't do that, good luck making a game. The people who make these games can only pretty much moderate. I swear they make these games just to be the big boss. It's nice you want to make a game, but seriously, save us, and YOU the trouble, and don't make one. It will most likely be too hard the person making it.
dead account

Offline shusuke

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 10:11:02 am »
Another big thing is that it's not just the ability to create the game that's important, but public relations and the ability to interact with the fanbase/community of the game maturely and not to get too caught up with emotions. It's human to slip every once in a while, yes, but if you can't own up to your mistakes or if those slip ups or constant then odds are you aren't mature enough to be in the position to run, admin, or let alone maintain a game.

A lot of these teams I see pop up are incredibly young and haven't reached a level of maturity where they can handle the pressure or the patience to learn the skills required and eventually crack and abandon the project because of it. Or they take offense to heartfelt advice or tips as harsh criticism and leave because it doesn't exactly meet up with something they agree with.

I think the major problem however is that they simply set the bar too high when it comes to the game they make. They envision it in their heads, with perfect controls and everything they see. Yet at the actual workdesk it becomes frustrating because there are limitations with hardware and programs that have to be considered in order to make the game just as good, but also playable. As I mentioned before though I often see models with far too high a poly count to be workable on computers in an online setting. An animated movie? Sure! A one player game? Absolutely! An online MMO with potential of the models being in large crowds? ...Yeah you're gonna wind up cutting off a lot of potential players due to computer demand, there.

Asking people for help, however, I can slightly understand. I first started looking into modeling when I was around 15-16, and Blender sat on my computer for a good year from me being impatient with it before I took a deep breath and just practiced and modeled again and again. My models went from being sloppily low/high in poly to a nice inbetween and my UV map organization is decent and easy to understand.
This level took me 4 years to reach and I modeled near constantly. I originally didn't want to do it because I knew how much time would have to be put in for it, but it was worth it. xD

For people that do have some of these skills (particularly in the learning area maybe) that do sign up for these games to help, I somewhat feel a little sorry because of just how much the workload is for these things. An example from me is my work for Aro'kai; I model, animate, and texture things (and concept art; the more ideas to discuss from multiple angles the better; everyone on the team does concept art), from rocks to NPCs to the player models, and the amount of work required for all of it is astounding. xD Each little thing done just sets up more work to be done before it's completely finished, and even then - as a developing game - there's the chance where things can easily change and cause that work to be wasted (from the idea being scrapped) or for something to be edited, and that itself leaves everything 'up in the air'. There's never something that's truly 100% done because of how open everything is.

So then when it comes to these games that pop up it is slightly frustrating and even worrying because there is so, so much work put into these things and with staff applications it's really hard to come by people who would actually do things (for free, no less!) and as those learning I worry about them getting frustrated and giving up because it's not going at the pace they want it to go. This stuff takes time and a far amount of patience and skill D : And I worry that potential dreams may be shot down because they simply aren't ready for the burden.

Offline antherax

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 12:08:46 am »
This topic.Yesh.

What I find a little irratating is how some people say that they'll have all these amazing features like PvP, actions, and stuff
Then they say they need staff.
Okaaaaaaay then.

So they are literally just depending on their staff to make  models and code in features or whatever....

Most projects I see are abandoned, 'in-progress', or just meh.

People, please understand stuff like games can take a looooong time, and can be frustarating or not as perfect as you wanted. Take Poke'mon for a example; they probably planned and started development on Pokemon X and Y a year ago, so they would have things to announce before they finished it up and tossed it out for fans to buy.

Just three words..
Games. Take. Time

I dont want to discourage anyfluff, but this is just from my view. The only projects I really stalk are Aro'kai and Moonrise warriors.
THIS. I couldn't agree more. If you want to make a game, find. Try and use a pre-made game engine though, try a impressive title server first.
dead account