Author Topic: Linux or Windows?  (Read 1578 times)

amazzingrace

Linux or Windows?
« on: January 03, 2018, 09:56:49 am »
Hello! My laptop is on it’s end. Soon I will have to buy a new one.
I have a few questions about it!
Do you suggest Linux or Windows operating system? I always had windows but I saw lots of gaming laptops use Linux. Do you know what’s the difference between those two and how is Linux (if I decide to buy a latop with it) going to affect Feral Heart? Am I still going to be able to install items and textures, and make presets? I used Windows ever since I got my first computer, so switching to Linux is a new and unknown thing for me.

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 170
    • View Profile
Re: Linux or Windows?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 11:57:38 am »
Linux is the most popular operating system for web servers. It has more of the features that web designers will expect due to its popularity. Linux enables users to access (and alter) the code to the very kernel that serves as the foundation of the Linux operating system. So - I believe that when you say you've seen 'most gaming laptops are Linux', it could be that users have altered the laptop itself for gaming specifically, because it's rather easy to get to the code. Windows however, it's a lot more difficult to do this, as you'll need to be a member of a select group, and - if not a member - you'll never have access to these codes to make such alterations. So, with Windows, what you get is what you get.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 02:29:02 pm by Scallywag »

© short ' cakes on Discord ♡

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 03:53:26 pm »
Moving this over to the Off-Topic Discussion board as I feel it fits better there. c:
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 04:12:55 pm »
Windows for your own ease.

Linux requires... A lot of practice and knowledge.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline konjac

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 06:09:34 pm »
I'd say Windows, just because you're used to it and that you have had one before, therefore making it easier to use. Linux is a little tricky.

Offline Vilivikhorith

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • \n\n\n\n
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 03:53:29 am »
I don't really know the current state of Ubuntu (the Linux distro I'll assume the laptop you would get has, considering its widespread popularity), but most big distros (I used to use Mint 17) try to be easy to use like Windows (some even mimic its GUI layout) nowadays. Of course, as soon as you are confronted with a very complicated problem, you may have to open a commandline-interface. There's also plenty of technical support forums for Linux, so if you're willing the learn along the way, it's not too bad, but yeah, gotta be patient when bad luck strikes.

Since the laptop comes with Linux, you probably won't have to worry too much about the driver maddness (Display working wonky, poor performance, not being sure what one to install, proprietary driver vs opensource driver...) that can ensue.

Wine support is also much much better in Linux than Mac OS, so I doubt you'll have many problems there. FeralHeart runs just fine for me in Wine. Infact, many Windows games run pretty good in Wine. If you got any other games in mind, I suggest you check out the Wine Application List before you make a choice, if any other games are a deal breaker for you. (https://appdb.winehq.org/)

Another option down the road would be to dualboot the two operating systems, but get ready to install/configure some bootloaders! Or just use Windows. Up to you, but both seem pretty viable for FeralHearting.

amazzingrace

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 03:39:16 pm »
Thank you all for the help! And since I always had Windows I'll go with Windows xD Just in case!

Offline epithelia

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 08:37:00 pm »
Win-win-windows!

Valar.Morghulis

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 09:47:27 pm »
Win-win-windows!

Yeah I know. No need for any more replies and help! I worked on Linux last few weeks in college and I am not a fan of it.
Also please do not necro old threads like this, since my answer has been given long time ago.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:49:34 pm by Valar.Morghulis »