Author Topic: Crusoe's guide to installing FH on Linux  (Read 5340 times)

Offline Crusoe

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
  • Top Kek.
    • View Profile
    • My Github Page
Crusoe's guide to installing FH on Linux
« on: May 04, 2015, 10:48:55 pm »
Hello everyone! Been a while since I posted anything, but here I have returned with a tutorial on how to install FH on Linux. Let's get to it!

First, you're going to need to install Wine on your Linux. What is Wine? Wine is an open source program for Linux and Mac that allows you to run executable files (.exe files) on them. This tutorial will show how to install Wine as well as how to install FH on Linux.

FOR UBUNTU AND DERIVATIVES:

1. First, open up your terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T On most Linux distros)

2. Copy and paste the following commands in this order:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y wine1.7

3.  And there you go! Simple! You just installed Wine on your Linux Distro. (Note: May be different depending on your Linux distro. I have tested this on Ubuntu, Lubuntu and Linux Mint.) Now we'll get into running FH.

4. Download the FH Game Setup from the site and open up your terminal again.

5. Type in the following command:

cd home/YOURUSERNAMEHERE/Downloads

Then type this: wine FHsetup

Hit enter and the FH Install should pop up. Go through all the install steps. When you're installing DirectX, it will tell you the installation has failed. No worries, you will still be able to play FH using the OpenGL Renderer.

6. Once FH is done installing, find your virtual C drive. It is typically found in you home folder. Look for a folder called ".wine" If it is not there, you may need to enable View Hidden Files in your settings, or you can press Ctrl + H and it should show up. Once inside the folder, go to the folder called drive_c. If you did not change the install destination for FH, you should see a folder called FeralHeart. Open it and launch FeralHeart.exe and there you go! You may now play FH on a Linux distro. Sometimes, you may need to right click on FeralHeart.exe and set the Open With properties to Wine Windows Program Loader.

TIPS: 1. As soon as you launch FH, I suggest you go to the video settings and change your rendering subsystem to OpenGL renderer.

2. I also suggest configuring Wine's application settings to launch most applications in Windows 7 Compatibility. You can do this by typing in this command in the terminal: winecfg

Then, Wine Configuration menu should pop up. Under the applications tab, choose Windows 7. This reduced some of the lag I got when running FH using Wine.

3. If you're having some problems with running FH, try this command: sudo apt-get mesa

This should update your OpenGL Driver.

And, that's it! If you're having problems, please PM me and I'll try my best to help you. Later, I may or may not do a tutorial on how to install DirectX on Linux, for those who want to use the DirectX Renderer, which I do not suggest using, as it is a bit laggy.

UPDATE: SEPTEMBER 4TH 2015

I have tried this out in Linux Mint. Everything works well, and I was able to launch some Impressive Title servers as well! If your Linux distro isn't Ubuntu or a derivative of Ubuntu, then check winehq.org and find a tutorial on how to install it for your specific distro. I may add a tutorial for Arch Linux users soon after I test it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 03:42:42 pm by Crusoe »