Author Topic: What IS a Sparkledog?  (Read 21745 times)

Opaldragon

Re: What IS a Sparkledog?
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 10:21:36 pm »
I really don't mind sparkle dogs...  It's your character, so if you want it to look like a rainbow then go ahead and do it xD

Paltala

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 12:51:05 pm »
For me, a sparkle dog/cat are chars that have 3/4+ colours that are significantly different such as brown pelt, green body markings, red tail markings, blue head markings etc.
Some may say my main char (Pure white pelt, Dark blue markings all over and a Cyan blue tail tip) is a sparkle dog but is it really? 2 main colours that go well together plus an extra as a bit of an in joke with some friends/

Offline Raz.

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
  • aka Raz ingame.
    • View Profile
    • My DA page
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 02:31:13 am »
I don't think that your main character is a full blown sparkle dog, it's not normal yeah, but it doesn't look like rainbow barf XD

Offline Koylan

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • (4(\) � |2?4|) |_??7? Well? Can you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 05:51:35 pm »
I'd say anything with noticably unnatural colors can be considered a sparkledog (including the legions of red and black wolves), but even more so with neon, scene hair, and two tons of accessories. That said, I also think not all sparkledogs are bad; I've seen some that are really pretty and/or cool. My only pet peeve is when people combine colors willy-nilly with absolutely no concept of which combinations might induce vomiting. I swear, magenta-and-chartreuse anything should be banned...

^ Bahaha. I agree xD They hurt the eyeballs.
Sanctum, we want you!

Click to Join!

Yorky

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2011, 09:26:34 pm »
Here's MY definition of sparkle dogs.

A sparkledog that has unnatural colors maybe?

I really don't know ^^''

I really don't have a problem with them..
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 01:51:45 am by 43luva »

Paltala

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 06:02:27 pm »
@ Draak, I know my ex-main char (he died heroically while trying to save a friend, he left behind 7 pups, a mate and multiple friends, R.I.P Sarkardo) could have been perceived as a sparkle dog but my new main is complimenting shades of brown (dark pelt, lighter brown underpelt) with a bright blue mohawk (signify the powers that he has) with black markings.

Offline Raz.

• Finest Floof
  • aka Raz ingame.
    • View Profile
    • My DA page
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 01:54:35 am »
Yeaaaah that's borderline sparkledog, I say borderline because it's mostly normal and then BAM bright blue mohawk XD;

Offline Emerelda

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
    • My art on deviant art
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 03:06:29 am »
lol good example of a sparkle dog is at http://emerald-glaceon.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d46br3n though i think she's balanced look at her mustache. i was rly bored XD

to see more of my art go to http://emerald-glaceon.deviantart.com/

Offline DimensionGal

• The Poison Dragon's Tainted Lily
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
  • aka Kerrigan the Mapmaker
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 03:41:03 am »
To me... Sparkle dogs are anything that has eye-murdering colors lumped onto one character and/or can't be a convincing character to save their lives. Hallow-yenas are a good example of eye-murdering.

Unnaturally bright colors don't really make a Sparkledog or Glittercat - though it's hard to draw the line between fantasy and, as Draak put it, unicorn barf. Again, that's where the character comes into play.

If your character has a background with a reasonably developed past, somewhat formulated appearance, and a believable personality, you're Fantasy. (Or SciFi, whatever genre you prefer.)

But since formulated appearances can be lost on other people, most Sparkledogs and Glittercats have the following:

A background where they:
- murdered everyone in their pack for no reason
- their parents were murdered for no reason
- they have random demon/angel powers
- they're the last of their bloodline for no reason
- no reason for having no reason (aka the "I feel like it" scenario)

A personality (or lack of one) like:
- Angry/dangerous all the time, without probable cause
- "OMG I CULDNT LIVE WIT OUT MY MATE!!!1"
- Need to be the center of attention all the time
- Often throws their character off cliffs (or injures them in any other way) to get said attention
- Injuries Heal Immediately and they Never Die (aka "Infinite Phoenix Down" disorder)
- Don't want to follow rules set by RP they join
- Want/Need to be Alpha animal/be in control
- "*Rips your head off for stepping in my territory*"
- They flip out when you tell them you don't want them in your semi/realistic rp

My, I think I've rambled a little.
?Mapmaker serving 16,700+ Feral Heart users?

Offline Raz.

• Finest Floof
  • aka Raz ingame.
    • View Profile
    • My DA page
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 06:44:07 am »
I think there's also a difference between Scene and Sparkle things. Because sometimes you find totally unnaturally coloured things/eyeburners without accessories and iPods, arm band things and stuff and then there's the Scene things which are coated in hideous bright colours and every kind of piercing and stuff under the sun.
But sometimes they seem to mix and you get bits of both.

Here's an example I pulled from the front page of DA that I think is a mix of both...maybe leaning towards Scene because of the bandaid/patches, bleeding and piercings:  http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/249/c/9/commission_by_soliloquy_dragon-d494e08.png

Quote from: Kerrigan
Unnaturally bright colors don't really make a Sparkledog or Glittercat - though it's hard to draw the line between fantasy and, as Draak put it, unicorn barf. Again, that's where the character comes into play.
I agree here, considering with Dragons and Gryphons and any other fantasy creature, no one will ever know their true colour pallettes because they don't exist. So pretty much anything is a possibility.
>_> although if I see rainbow barf'd stuff I still call them Sparkly or Scene |D...and if they're turned into a gauge infested pierced pincusion.