• Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
Tails
« on: January 05, 2013, 08:50:21 pm »
Had another idea!

Today I was looking at the tails of my characters, and after a bit of anatomical analysis noticed something about the 'Wolf tail'. To me, it doesn't look much like a wolf's tail at all, more of a foxes tail. Allow me to show you;

This is a comparison of the tail of one of my wolf charies, with the tail of a real wolf. The difference being, the 'Wolf tail' model is a tad longer and sticks out more than the tail on the real wolf.

Now here are the foxes' tails. My fox charry here has the 'Wolf tail'. It is just about long enough, but could probably do with a bit more length, and it sticks out at the right sort of angle.

My proposition for the future is that the tails could be modified, for realism (for people who like that sort of thing), and more variety. The 'Wolf tail' could be changed to a 'Fox tail', as foxes are just as abundant as wolves in FH, and perhaps made a bit longer.
A new 'Wolf tail' model could be added that's a bit shorter and hangs down straight between the hind legs.

And that's my idea. It would be nice to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline donutforest

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Tails
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 01:26:57 am »
I agree! This is a wonderful idea ^^

Offline FeralFireHeart

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • ~ I Desire Fire ~
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 04:11:22 pm »
Y'know what, I kind if agree with you on dis.
The tails don't really look like what they're supposed to be at all :/
However, when my wolf characters are curling up on a rock, they do like the comforts of their long tails wrapping around them, so really, I don't like the idea of a scraggly realistic wolf tail, but it'll probably not end up looking exactly like that in the picture if there ever was a new tail update.
Yeah, I think this is a goooood idea (doubt we'll have any flipping' updates though any time soon).

Offline KibaWolf73

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 04:23:27 pm »
When I'm making a fox, I always use the wolf tail. When I make a wolf, I use the thin tail. Fair enough, yet it doesn't look realistic enough. I agree with this idea. Though, it shouldn't replace the "wolf" tail entirely, but maybe rename it as a kind of "Realistic Wolf Tail".

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 04:49:47 pm »
When I'm making a fox, I always use the wolf tail. When I make a wolf, I use the thin tail. Fair enough, yet it doesn't look realistic enough. I agree with this idea. Though, it shouldn't replace the "wolf" tail entirely, but maybe rename it as a kind of "Realistic Wolf Tail".

I like making realistic characters which is why I shared this idea, but I know not everyone is into realistic things so having a 'realistic wolf tail' and a 'non-realistic wolf tail' would be a good idea to give people of the option of being realistic if they want or not being realistic.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline Soakitup

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 10
  • Timberrrrrr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 11:37:28 pm »
To be perfectly honest, when I first joined Feral Heart I thought that when you chose to make a canine you were actually choosing to make a fox, not a wolf, because that's what the tail looks like to me. :p So yeah, I agree with you here, if it's not too hard to do.

Offline Miles101

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Praise Helix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 04:20:14 pm »
Personally I prefer the cartoon stylization of the current tails, but I do think a shorter tail would be better for wolves, and the current Wolf Tail could be changed to a fox tail.

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 06:32:30 pm »
I agree; I like making my characters realistic.
Farewell everyone<3