Author Topic: d3dx9_42.dll Missing, DXError.log, and DirectX.log  (Read 14163 times)

Offline Maltose

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • What?
    • View Profile
d3dx9_42.dll Missing, DXError.log, and DirectX.log
« on: July 07, 2012, 11:09:13 am »
Mmkay. Mmmkay. So. Ahem.

I recently got a new computer. It's got Windows 7 64 bit, which I have never used before. So, when I went to install FeralHeart, everything went smoothly until it tried to install DirectX. At which point I got this error message:
"DirectX Setup - An internal system error occurred. Please refer to DXError.log and DirectX.log in your Windows folder to determine the problem."
Oh, how many times I have tried to download different versions of DirectX. Alas, every last one begot the same result.

When I tried to run the game anyway, this error message appeared:
"System Error - The program cant start because d3dx9_42.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."
Nope. Reinstalling both DirectX and FeralHeart did not help one bit.

When starting the game a second time, I can get to the login screen. It automatically changes the rendering subsystem to OpenGL. (When setting it back to Direct3D9 and restarting the game, the exact thing happens over again.) However, all of the objects that would be in the background are missing, leaving only a view of terrain, sky, and water.

When I do log in, I can see my characters, but with absolutely no background. Just solid black. I can even create new characters with everything else perfectly in order.

Entering the game with a character is the same; nothing but black all around my character. I can still see everyone chatting/logging in and out. I can view movies and see nothing but characters. It seems I don't show up on the map for others, and that they only show up in movies. Not even my little gold dot on the map.

From what I've come to understand - Windows 7 comes with DirectX 11, and the game needs DirectX 9, which I can't get installed for some stupid reason because you can't have both or something.... (May be entirely wrong here. :<)

I've been trying to figure this out for so long, searching everywhere I could think of - but to no avail.
It's... super frustrating, to say the least. I feel like I must be missing something so obvious. I dunno if that's true.
Gahhhhh.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Offline SilverTW

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 54
  • Inactive account
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Re: d3dx9_42.dll Missing, DXError.log, and DirectX.log
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 11:57:45 am »
I have gotten a similiar problem, what I did was install d3dx9_30.dll, but try downloading d3dx9_42.dll and put the .dll into the main feralheart folder. If Try loading game, and if this doesn't work still, please show me with pictures what happens

Try redownloading the game if it doesn't work, download the patch
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 11:59:46 am by SilverTW »

This account is no longer in use, and any messages sent to here will not be read. If you need to reach me, head to https://softdiamond.net

Specialized in FeralHeart Maps,Presets,Objects,Mods,Markings,Textures and MORE.
Video Maker and more!

Offline Colors

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 01:48:02 pm »
I have never seen a problem like that, so I cannot give you solid and correct instructions, but I came with a silly idea that might work. Have you tried uninstalling the DirectX that your computer came with and then installing FeralHeart?
Colors

The path to heavens runs through miles of clouded hell right to the top.

Offline Maltose

• Forum Newcomer
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 08:28:14 pm »
I have gotten a similiar problem, what I did was install d3dx9_30.dll, but try downloading d3dx9_42.dll and put the .dll into the main feralheart folder. If Try loading game, and if this doesn't work still, please show me with pictures what happens
From what I understand, that's not a good idea.
Try redownloading the game if it doesn't work, download the patch
I've already tried this. Nope.
I have never seen a problem like that, so I cannot give you solid and correct instructions, but I came with a silly idea that might work. Have you tried uninstalling the DirectX that your computer came with and then installing FeralHeart?
DirectX 11 can't be uninstalled from Windows 7.

Thank you two, though. Any other suggestions? No one else with Windows 7 had this happen? D:

Offline wolffox

• COOL MOM
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 188
  • icon by T0XIIIC, sig by Bawfle <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 08:40:54 pm »
I had this EXACT problem awhile back with my old computer -- but I used OpenGL to play until I got a new computer (thank goodness) and it was fine. From what you've posted it seems like your computer isn't compatible with OpenGL and so that solution won't work so well for you.

What you can try to do is install DirectX 9 manually and if that doesn't work, I'm stumped. Here's a link for 9: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Also, what sort of computer do you have? I had a Dell Inspiron laptop that needed its hard drive replaced several times (3 to be exact) so that might have something to do with it as well -- in that it might be the computer itself that's defective and not your ability to install FH. xD

Let me know how things go.

Offline lobaazul

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 11:03:36 pm »
o ami me pasa igual

Offline lobaazul

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 11:09:02 pm »
lo del fondo negro ami me pasa igual pero tenai vista si qe me iva pero tenia 2 sesiones usario y invitado en el invitado s eme via negro y en el usario normal alo mejor es por eso

CloudFish

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 11:11:27 pm »

DarkForestLeader

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 10:46:24 pm »
ok it might be your sound card or you might have a VERY old video card, thats what happened to me literally a week ago that it did this to me. But i figured out it was that so try this! ^^

Offline Ingredient

• ~Dead men tell no tales~
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 366
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 11:25:27 pm »
After downloading the Direct X files, try downloading the d3dx9_42.dll file. Sometimes it works, i have the same windows as you ;)
Will be inactive due to work and exams.