Author Topic: IC vs. OOC  (Read 3628 times)

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
IC vs. OOC
« on: May 12, 2015, 12:52:53 am »
{ Greetings to you, fellow floof.
Many a day, I wish to saunter through the plains as Wolfie, or Candlestix; which begs the question I favor the most.}

IC vs. OOC
Definitions:
IC- in character; rolelaying as the character.
OOC- out of character; being your actual human self.
Which do you prefer the most? That is; do you prefer to be the utmost serious in your character and will not break character or, do you like to just simply chat? Or, are you a little bit of both?
Personally, I am IC for the most part, but I can be OOC when the time is right.

Please, make this civilized, I am in no mood for immature kids. That means; no dissing, nay-saying, or being discriminative against one another.
If you have any questions, be sure to ask!
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

DreamerDay

Re: IC vs. OOC
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 01:09:13 am »
The only time I have a OOC is when I'm confuse of a part that my partner just wrote. So, I would ask them and see what's happening. If can't just write something and not know what's going on, it's just causes unnecessary drama.

Anyway, I prefer IC. It is role play and I want to enjoy myself.

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 02:55:00 am »
Not sure really, most would probably see me as OOC but in a funny way I'd consider it IC just as much.

If I can elaborate a bit more on it though to make some sense out of it, I don't really have many characters and I do not roleplay much or break out of the ordinary sitting still observing chats flying by or just chit chatting with friends. In most cases I see the character I use as an online representation of myself, and the things they do and say comes without much thought. But even so it's still IC in a sense since it's a fursona that shares similar if not same traits, the only difference is that I don't constantly make fancy roleplay posts which most people probably think about when someone is in character.

Sure enough, a big kitty in FeralHeart is nothing like a person in real life, but who they are in my case wouldn't change much. As much as I'm aware of what these two definitions mean and how it impacts how one play the game, I feel like I try to make it less of a situation of IC and OOC when I log online, and more a matter of being yourself as the character you play as.

But of course I only really use 1 character too.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Kibacher

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • look into my eyes, what do you see?. Infinity
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 07:50:55 am »
I tend to stay in character all the time on FH

I'm never really OOC because I act different on all of my chars, basically the way they act themselves. The only time is when I'm talking about private stuff or being silly with friends. Just randomly chatting, but just like Red said. I still count that majority of the time as IC.

I guess thats just me, I only really have one major character that I use on FH
This may be a virtual world but our feelings are real

wolfdog01

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 11:41:20 am »
For me it depends on the character:
Maxwell: Always in character, hardly ever breaks
Grog: Usually goofing off OOC but uses ')' after every post
Thyme: Just whatever I am in the mood, usually OOC cause I don't RP her much

Although, like Koran said, I go on a specific character when I am in a certain mood because they are all a little bit of me, so yeah....

Offline Owly

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 9
    • Kryvul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 02:12:02 pm »
I usually do a fair amount of both. However, when you see me in the plains. I'm 99% OOC. I am only ever IC in my maps.
If I'm IC in Fluorite, chances are I'm either demonstrating a character to someone, or I've finally lost it.

Having many different characters. Each that was set with a certain personality. Sometimes I change because I want to, or because one is showing a certain mood I'm in. Once again, it always changes, and it depends how I feel at the time.

But no, I am usually OOC on even my RP characters.

Offline Berrymutt

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • Huge Critical Role nerd
    • Berrymutt
    • berrymuttbb
    • Berrymutt
    • NickBerrymutt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 06:38:54 pm »
I am always OOC (I'm very boring ha), the only time where I would be IC is well if I was roleplaying. I am always myself unless said to play that character. I really can't see why people tend to stay IC when they aren't roleplaying...Because to me sometimes that is still considered roleplaying (In a way kinda)? You will only see me being in character if I am playing that character.

Avatar made by Ziboe. Signature Made By DOG-BOWL On DeviantArt.
Discord: Berrymutt#0225
Twitch: Berrymutt
Download My Presets

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 12:43:01 am »
It depends on who I'm with.

I have a group of people who I roleplay with, (not currently, but sometimes) and when I hang around them, I stay pretty consistent with IC.

Then some of my friends don't rp at all, and in that case, you'll find me primarily OOC.

And then, if I'm not interacting with anyone in particular, I find a way to combine the two. If someone speaks to me as an rp character, then I'll slip into IC mode. If someone says something in OOC, then I'll slip in OOC mode.

So yeah.

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 05:40:14 pm »
Heh, I got yelled at in my newbie days for not being OOC.
Good times.

But, yeah, I'm mostly OOC nowadays, though sometimes I will chat with the persona of my character in mind. I am only truly IC when I am roleplaying, or something of the sort.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Arkayy

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 40
  • YOU WANNA HAVE BAD TOM?!
    • arkayy.deviantart.com
    • Foxyhobobaggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 09:50:32 pm »
Ooc for the most part. I dont know i just cant stay in character randomly unless theres a definitive plot going.  And even then i tend to say stupid messages about by own posts xD Its fun for me to mix them up i guess.

U WANNA HAV EH BAAD TOM?!