Author Topic: FeralHeart's Beta Features (2010 ShadyVox interview)  (Read 2720 times)

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
Re: FeralHeart's Beta Features (2010 ShadyVox interview)
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 11:56:14 pm »
I watched these quite some time ago and it really made me think of what might've happened to the game if Kovu stayed. A lot different, that's for sure. I feel a lot of MMORPG vibes.
Back then Kovu was really fixed on a realistic vibe and didn't want to add wings or items, but he eventually gave in ig.

I remember you made a feather tail and the claws. It's awesome that you put work into the game. It must suck that you can't anymore, but I'm glad you put your work into another game cause you're really good!

Offline Ame88

• ❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄ Winter is a .' - ` , ' - . ` timeless ' , ` - '. ` , - ' . season. - ', - ` , ' - . ` , Everything ' , ` - . ' , ` . freezes. `_,_'_-_._`_,_-
  • Admin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 217
  • Yeah I believe in Bigfoot. Nessi and Kovu too!
    • Ame88thewolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 12:14:10 am »
These are really interesting! I've always wanted to know more about FeralHeart, and this just grabs my interest even more. Thank you for posting these here!

Profile picture by Telluric
Thank you ;u;
Bio | My Creations
Renegade Row | FeralHeart Resort

PocketMutt

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 02:42:27 am »
I remember watching this and taking away a different view than what most everyone else is saying. By all means, it's interesting to know more about the development and the people behind FeralHeart but I actually was kind of confused as to why they wanted to add story elements in the first place. To me, FeralHeart functioned really well just as it is. The experience is determined by the user's interactions and usage of maps- whether it be just casual talking with other users or becoming involved with rps. I didn't see any need for objectives created by/for the game since FeralHeart never made you feel like there was a priority in the first place to engage you with anything other than simply exploring and chatting. Maybe my expectations when I started FeralHeart are different than some because I never played or heard of IT beforehand. So maybe to previous IT players, FH felt empty in comparison to elements that IT had. I surely don't know why LKD left and maybe it's best we don't try to impose reasons but I can't help but feel there was this burst of wanting to make exciting features but recognition there was no real need for any of them (sort of along the lines of "if it ain't broke don't fix it"). FH is not a perfect game by most means but I really think it is at it's best form is when it doesn't dedicate itself to inlaid story paths or NPCs.

Offline Vwang

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 03:23:02 am »
Haha (coUGH the memories), I remember seeing this video like a few years ago and my little me got jealous because they didn't add shadows in the current game, I always wished that these features would be released but it might not be. Thank you for sharing it ^v^

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 06:24:44 am »
I believe these were a few of the videos I watched when they first came out that really informed me about FeralHeart. Such a trip down memory lane for me. It really is a shame that we didn't ever get to see some of the features that were presented and discussed in this interview. But, we've loved FeralHeart as it is since late 2011 when the last update Kovu released happened and I don't think that will change.

By all means, it's interesting to know more about the development and the people behind FeralHeart but I actually was kind of confused as to why they wanted to add story elements in the first place. To me, FeralHeart functioned really well just as it is.
I completely agree with you on this. As much as NPCs and a quest line would have been interesting to see in the beginning, it would have been a smarter move to focus on adding in more multiplayer features. Features like different character interactions, more equip items, more customization options etc. I don't think a lot of people would get much use of a single player mode unless it was being updated constantly and that would have been a lot to maintain. Multiplayer has always seemed to be the type of gameplay that IT and FH both had. I think I would have rather seen more expanding on the features that help multiplayer games captivating and successful than a single player option.

Seeing something as simple as shadows in the slideshow they show warms my heart. Thank you for sharing these.
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline Tigg

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Your right hand on 3D-Meshes
    • t-i-g-g
    • channel/UCKuFJTwBJf94Tq07oVBNMrA
    • TiggDarkfury
    • View Profile
    • Isla Thanatos Gameserver
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 06:55:37 pm »
I watched these quite some time ago and it really made me think of what might've happened to the game if Kovu stayed. A lot different, that's for sure. I feel a lot of MMORPG vibes.
Back then Kovu was really fixed on a realistic vibe and didn't want to add wings or items, but he eventually gave in ig.

I remember you made a feather tail and the claws. It's awesome that you put work into the game. It must suck that you can't anymore, but I'm glad you put your work into another game cause you're really good!

The feathertail actually went i game but got removed cause someone claimed copyright on it. On a feather. That sticks out of a butt. Yeah sure.

The claws are just a mod sadly, but i am happy so much people use them. I almost everytime see those on screenshots and it makes me happy!

Thank you for your kind words <3 i try to keep up my lil game as best as i can :3
Raptors were always a thing for me, so im happy i got these playable. Haaaa x3

Offline SpazPaint

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 06:54:33 pm »

As much as NPCs and a quest line would have been interesting to see in the beginning, it would have been a smarter move to focus on adding in more multiplayer features. Features like different character interactions, more equip items, more customization options etc. I don't think a lot of people would get much use of a single player mode unless it was being updated constantly and that would have been a lot to maintain. Multiplayer has always seemed to be the type of gameplay that IT and FH both had. I think I would have rather seen more expanding on the features that help multiplayer games captivating and successful than a single player option.

Interesting! I do agree that multiplayer modes usually last for a longer time, but story/single player modes usually come to an end eventually. People usually only play campaign modes once, then never play it again after they beat it. And with Kovu's dissappearing act and the staff not having the source code, keeping the story mode updated would've been a nightmare

However, I really enjoy thinking about what could have been!  ;D  What would the NPCs have sounded like? Or looked like? What was the story? Who was the villain? What were the rewards for beating it? So many possibilities could've stemmed from it. But for reasons unknown (to the general public, anyway), we have no clue.