Author Topic: Banning, lack of warnings, and target audience.  (Read 1583 times)

Offline angels_

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
Banning, lack of warnings, and target audience.
« on: August 29, 2017, 01:47:32 am »
I had no idea where to put this thread lol.

So, as a long time user of Feralheart, I've noticed an increase of bans lately, most of which being without warning or correction. I'm not a moderator and I never have been, but having been here for a while (since 2012), this is a bit worrying to me. The bans have been a bit lengthy, usually around a week long, and I feel like this is a bit harsh?

Specifically a situation where a friend of mine said the word -Removed by moderator- and got banned for a week without warning, and was told that the in-game rules should have been warning enough. But, isn't that what kicks are for? To be used as a warning by moderators for smaller offences?

Isn't the game's target audience supposed to be 13+ anyways? That would mean that the website/game isn't responsible for a child hearing/seeing profanity? Correct me if I'm wrong, but catering to people under the age of 13 for a game focused on roleplaying and chatting seems not right to me.
(I should mention, though, that at the time I started playing Feralheart, I was under the age of 13. But, I should also add that I should not have been playing Feralheart at such a young age, because I was not so knowledgeable about grammar, conversation and how to treat others in social situations.)

Once upon a time the community felt more mature(in a good way), and as I grow older, I'm starting to feel like the game is no longer welcoming to someone my age. Not to mention how it feels much emptier than it used to be.
Some friends I've made in-game years ago say that they no longer play the game due to the immaturity of the players and the stricter rules.

Other viewpoints, opinions and thoughts are welcome and encouraged.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 02:46:29 am by Morgra »

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
Re: Banning, lack of warnings, and target audience.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 02:46:09 am »
Locking this topic because it is against the forum rules to discuss bans on the public boards.
If you have comments, questions or concerns about a ban, please take it to another member of staff or I through private message.
Discussion on Bans and Reports

You are prohibited to make a thread or mention in a post about being kicked and/or banned from in-game or on the forum. If you were kicked and/or banned, then it was for a reason. If you have a question about it, however, then you are referred to a moderator or an admin. As for reports, do not go and make a thread reporting a user. When you are reporting somebody, you are to send a private message to a moderator or an admin for them to handle it. Any threads discussing a kick/ban or reporting a user will be deleted upon sight.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 02:52:36 am by Morgra »
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
Re: Banning, lack of warnings, and target audience.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 03:39:01 am »

Specifically a situation where a friend of mine said the word -Removed by moderator- and got banned for a week without warning, and was told that the in-game rules should have been warning enough. But, isn't that what kicks are for? To be used as a warning by moderators for smaller offences?

First off you're making it apparent that you have a lack of care in following rules in general when you clearly posted some content that had to be removed/censored by another moderator on this thread. Example or not we have board rules clearly written that state what is allowed and what is prohibited.

Next, yes the in game rules are clearly written in Lonely Cave to act as a warning to users. They're not their as decorations... they're there for a reason. We staff do not need to keep warning you guys of something we've already warned you of numerous times before you even started playing. When you signed up for Feral Heart you signed the agreement that stated that you read, understood, and agreed to our rules and terms of service. So if we decide to ban a user because they broke rules we have every right to because we have already provided you all with fair enough warnings. It's not our responsibility or fault if you decided to overlook and ignore these warnings.

As a well known quote states:

"Ignorance of the law excuses not and Ignorance of law excuses no one"

The bans have been a bit lengthy, usually around a week long, and I feel like this is a bit harsh?

Ban length is dependent on a number of factors. There is no set defined length of what is to long or too short. Ban lengths are issued in accordance to the severity of the situation and may be further adjusted as other aspects of the situation are taken into consideration. You can not fairly judge a situation where you are simply seeing one angle of, keep that in mind.

Once upon a time the community felt more mature(in a good way), and as I grow older, I'm starting to feel like the game is no longer welcoming to someone my age.

It's as if you're insinuating that adults can't be in a community that has rules? Or that a factor of being adult is swearing and being able to swear thus an adult can not enjoy a community that prohibits it. I'm an adult and can function perfectly fine in a community that has rules yet alone rules against profanity & or swearing. Also keep in mind that our rules simply state to keep those things out of the public chat... that means you guys are allowed to still do it in the private chats & maps.

So to be frank the rules aren't strict... they're specific and made that way so that the overall community can be friendly and everyone can enjoy themselves, not just the "mature" people.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 03:44:47 am by LordSuragaha »