Author Topic: Map Maker problems (Solved)  (Read 1281 times)

Offline lunadawolf

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Scrub
    • thelunadawolf
    • channel/UCYamRzARZPEPofnxzL1oDdQ
    • View Profile
    • Pack of the Intrepidus
Map Maker problems (Solved)
« on: August 17, 2018, 06:40:00 pm »
I've been having a few problems with getting into the map maker. I can't click on the 'map maker' button without having FH crash on me. I honestly have no clue why it does that. I've tried re-installing FH and everything but it still doesn't work. Does anyone else have that problem or know how to solve it?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 07:13:39 pm by lunadawolf »

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
Re: Map Maker problems
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 07:36:57 pm »
Check your particles folder, delete any files that are duplicates. You can tell by the _0 or _1 at the end of the name. Be sure to check the My_Objects folder as well.
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 07:28:12 pm »
Do you know if you dropped any terrain mask files into the terrain folder recently?  If the problems started after doing that, then the terrain you'd put in image is flawed.
I'm not sure the default ones can get corrupted and still have character selection screen work.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline lunadawolf

• Curious Wanderer
  • Scrub
    • thelunadawolf
    • View Profile
    • Pack of the Intrepidus
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 02:15:34 am »
There were no dublicates. I checked every file, so that can't be it.

As for the terrain mask files, I don't remember if i put anything in that but I do have one map downloaded, maybe some files could be interfering with the map maker but I'm not sure which ones it could be. Or if that is even the problem.

Offline Kastilla

• Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 08:28:13 pm »
There were no dublicates. I checked every file, so that can't be it.

As for the terrain mask files, I don't remember if i put anything in that but I do have one map downloaded, maybe some files could be interfering with the map maker but I'm not sure which ones it could be. Or if that is even the problem.

What map have you downloaded recently? Did it overwrite anything in the default or objects folder? Did you place the .fhm file in the Exports folder?

Offline lunadawolf

• Curious Wanderer
  • Scrub
    • thelunadawolf
    • View Profile
    • Pack of the Intrepidus
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 06:26:33 pm »
It's a group map, it's not available for everyone but I'm checking the downloaded map now and it does replace stuff from the object folder. There is also an .fhm file in the export folder.
I think that I have a backup lying around somewhere

Offline lunadawolf

• Curious Wanderer
  • Scrub
    • thelunadawolf
    • View Profile
    • Pack of the Intrepidus
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 06:32:54 pm »
I replaced it with the original files, Not a single map to be seen but the Map Maker still crashes

Offline Kastilla

• Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 09:45:02 pm »
Hmmm, curious.
Check your terrain folder, only the terrain folder. Do you see a temp.map file? If not, search your files for it. The temp.map is the temporary terrain that appears in the Map Maker when you load it. If it's not in the terrain directory, it doesn't load the default terrain. Also check that you have the temp folder in the terrain folder, it will contain tempGates.cfg, tempMaterial.cfg, tempObjects.cfg, etc. Again, it is the flat terrain that appears with the Map Maker initially.

If that isn't the case, then look for the default folder. Make sure that all the corresponding files are there as well, they appear to be regular map files (terrain and heightmap images).

The only other solution I can think of is looking in the resources.cfg that is located in the main FeralHeart directory. Open that up and check to see if there are "breadcrumb trails" that lead to the terrain folders and back.
(They look like: FileSystem=media/terrains underneath a [Terrains] )

Do you have any mods that could have altered your maps? Objects, particles, ENB or graphical mods? If so, manually delete them.

If all else fails, manually delete FeralHeart (press delete or drap and drop into the recycling bin) and all the files related to it (keep a backup of the group map, unless you have the download link itself). Sometimes the uninstall leaves files behind and when you reinstall it, they stick around and mess with everything.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 09:48:06 pm by Wolvie »

Offline lunadawolf

• Curious Wanderer
  • Scrub
    • thelunadawolf
    • View Profile
    • Pack of the Intrepidus
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 07:11:57 pm »
I ended up having to re-istalling FH completely. The Map maker works but I'll have to see if I can download any maps without having it break again.

Either way, thank you for all the help!