Author Topic: Preset Replacement Question [SOLVED]  (Read 3470 times)

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
Preset Replacement Question [SOLVED]
« on: October 12, 2016, 04:19:59 am »
Okay,

So I made a layered animated preset a while back and the exported .fhp ended up being over 5.5mb. I'd like to fit my preset in with the download for the Halloween Party coming up and it's above the file size limit that they included. I did some looking and came across this tutorial on what to do to shrink preset file size: Preset Texture Format/Shrinking Guide

I looked through my files and figured I could do my best to shrink it down some. The preset folder i'm using is #10 and I figured I could just reexport my preset with the smaller image files.

My question is: What exactly happens when you replace the image files in a preset's folder that has already been exported? Does the old .fhp become obsolete and turn you black/yellow? I'm sure this has already been discussed somewhere else but my situation is slightly different. My code shouldn't be changing at all, nor should my filenames but does that still turn you black/yellow if I were to replace those files with a new, smaller copy?

I will be reuploading the new .fhp to my Mediafire download link. I understand that's most likely needed. I'm just wondering this because not everybody is going to have the updated version. Will they see my old version or me black and yellow?

I don't really understand the way FeralHeart exports and compresses your preset files into an .fhp. If anyone has some useful information on this, or anything at all, let me know.

Thanks guys!

Edit 1: I think my code may change a bit due to me converting a few files from png. I'm not entirely sure yet
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 07:51:39 am by MorgraWolf »
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

ArcticGalaxy

Re: Preset Replacement Question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 04:24:57 am »
It shouldn't make you black and yellow, but I think you will have to re export it. But I've never done this before so I'm not positively sure.

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 05:14:34 am »
I've exported them thousands of times to the point i wore out the maker.  The old one gets over written, people with the old one will see the old one.  People with the new one will see the new one.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline Shazadah

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • Call me NaruWolf
    • http://shay-wolf.deviantart.com
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/Mid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 06:38:03 am »
Adding to Kuri's statement, editing a preset's images and/or codes will not effect the already exported preset. When you re-export a preset after updating or making fixes to it, what have you, the game will automatically overwrite the existing exported preset. This means, that whatever character is wearing the preset, will be updated to the new one on its own after the preset's been re-exported. And as Kuri said, those that have your previous preset will continue to see the old one until they download the new one. The only time a preset will appear black and yellow is when the image is missing.

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 06:47:50 am »
Thanks to everyone responding so far.

And as Kuri said, those that have your previous preset will continue to see the old one until they download the new one. The only time a preset will appear black and yellow is when the image is missing.

So, (hypothetical scenario) if I were to completely change the preset files to something else (different body texture, etc.), the old .fhp isn't affected and people will see the old one?

If I am missing a file in the preset's folder will the .fhp be affected? I.E. Does the .fhp work on it's own?

I understand what you mean in terms of it overwriting itself but doesn't the .fhp depend on the files in the preset folder, or can it work on it's own?

Offline Shazadah

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Call me NaruWolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 07:00:02 am »

So, (hypothetical scenario) if I were to completely change the preset files to something else (different body texture, etc.), the old .fhp isn't affected and people will see the old one?

If I am missing a file in the preset's folder will the .fhp be affected? I.E. Does the .fhp work on it's own?

I understand what you mean in terms of it overwriting itself but doesn't the .fhp depend on the files in the preset folder, or can it work on it's own?
The .fhp is a completely separate file all on it's own, and doesn't depend on any other files from elsewhere. Many people who want more than 12 presets will often switch them out with each other, exporting one with certain textures and then going back and changing the textures to something else and re-exporting it. But all without effecting the .fhp file itself. Once the .fhp file is made, it's done, and can only be changed by overwriting it like said before.

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 07:05:19 am »
The .fhp is a completely separate file all on it's own, and doesn't depend on any other files from elsewhere. Many people who want more than 12 presets will often switch them out with each other, exporting one with certain textures and then going back and changing the textures to something else and re-exporting it. But all without effecting the .fhp file itself. Once the .fhp file is made, it's done, and can only be changed by overwriting it like said before.

Okay. That makes sense. And what about the case where someone's preset is black and yellow or a piece of it is black and yellow. Is that because a file was missing when they exported it? Because as you said, the .fhp is independent so it wouldn't matter if a file went missing after the .fhp was created. Am I correct?
Thanks for your patience so far

Offline Shazadah

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Call me NaruWolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 07:23:40 am »
Okay. That makes sense. And what about the case where someone's preset is black and yellow or a piece of it is black and yellow. Is that because a file was missing when they exported it? Because as you said, the .fhp is independent so it wouldn't matter if a file went missing after the .fhp was created. Am I correct?
Thanks for your patience so far
The only time a preset may end up black and yellow even if it's been exported is if there was no image for that part of it to read in the first place, so essentially its blank. It's also possible for a .fhp file to become corrupt, I'm not sure what the results are of that but it could turn the exported preset to black and yellow.
You're welcome!

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 07:26:56 am »
The only time a preset may end up black and yellow even if it's been exported is if there was no image for that part of it to read in the first place, so essentially its blank.

And that means that there wasn't a file for the part when it was exported? Example: the mane. The person exported it without a mane texture, and added a mane to their character after they exported?

Offline Shazadah

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Call me NaruWolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 07:36:00 am »
And that means that there wasn't a file for the part when it was exported? Example: the mane. The person exported it without a mane texture, and added a mane to their character after they exported?
Mane is the same thing. If a body part on a preset (or the entire preset) comes up as black and yellow, it means that the code for it is there, but there was no image or texture for it to use. So that'd mean the person never made a mane texture for it, leaving just the body, head, tail, and eye textures.

If a preset comes up as solid white, with no texture or color at all, it means that the image for it is there but there's a mistake in the code, such as the image types not matching up with the actual textures or i.e. an extra bracket (I've done that once...).