Author Topic: Who's still making maps?  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Bloo.

• Space-Child ✌
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • nyoom
    • Bloopaloozer
    • Bloopalooza FH
    • aLittleProzium
    • Bloopalooza
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Who's still making maps?
« on: January 20, 2018, 04:54:31 am »
Hey all, I'm not sure if map-making is still a big thing here! Remember the Map Making contest from awhile back? ;3

Anyways, this topic is for all map-makers! I wanna hear about any of the following!

-What meshes do you struggle most to find for your maps?
-What's the biggest obstacle you face when map-making?
-Do you have a map-making pet peeve?
-Etc.

As for myself, I always use to find buildings you could walk into especially difficult to find, that and herbs for warrior cat maps lol
My biggest obstacle has been and always will be making the heightmap (: I am just no good at it haha
My map-making pet peeve is when your map crashes before you saved it ;w;

You are amazing <3

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
Re: Who's still making maps?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 08:12:51 am »
Worst mesh problem?  Meshes that either disappear or the texture is gone. Or they go out of alignment.
Obstacles?  making the weather work and not crash people when the sprinkle candy rains from rainbow clouds.  (Or any exotic weather cycles for that matter)

Lag.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 10:15:00 am »
1: Any mesh I've created are meshes I've struggled to find. A few meshes I haven't created but can't find are hospital meshes and prison-themed meshes(I'm making a map that combines both).
2: My PC likes to freeze, erasing all unsaved progress, I rarely save my progress.
3: EVERY time I have to move/rotate an object, I have to guess which button will move/rotate the object the right way.

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline Siarczek

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • Friendly Neighborhood Environmental Scientist
    • siarczek
    • siarczek-art
    • siarczki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 10:34:41 am »
I still make maps (my map thread is here), albeit slowly, since university classes take up most of my time.

1. I usually don't struggle to find meshes, although I do wish there were more realistic flower meshes out there. I had to create a heather mesh for my Misty Woods map.
2. My biggest obstacle when map-making is simply finding time and energy to complete it. I have a work-in-progress map pack that's been lying around since either 2015 or 2016.
3. As for pet peeves, I hate when a mesh shows up white when exploring the map in-game (but looks fine in the map maker). I've only had this happen to me with like two specific meshes though.

OCs | Art | [url=https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=62880.n

Offline turtlies

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • loves to lurk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 05:28:04 pm »
I enjoy making maps, but usually my procrastination takes over and I never end up finishing any of them... hopefully someday I'll actually be able to finish one of my million FH-related projects :P

I definitely agree about the buildings being hard to find! I'll try converting them sometimes, but most often the buildings end up being way too laggy to be usable. Otherwise the meshes I can't find are just... random stuff. I've taught myself how to use Blender and how to convert other objects, so usually if I can't find something, I just try to find one to convert or make it myself.

Mostly just finishing it. Or often I'll take on some projects that are a little too ambitious, so I only end up finishing 1/4 of it.

Water. I absolutely hate the feature for putting in water.... if your heightmap's good and the water is all at one level, then the Ocean option can usually work fine enough with some fixable heightmap errors, though can still sometimes be pretty annoying. But the option that lets you add in a square of water to wherever you want.... I will never get the hang of that. If the pond you want to put it in has a weird shape or is too close to a piece of land that goes down then there's annoying pieces of water everywhere and gah! It's a pain.

he/him
bro what if i put my feralheart cave next to yours.. bro what if they only had one flattened bush mesh to lay on and we had to share... haha just kidding... unless...?

Offline TheWalrider

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Matriarch of Robots | The Terminator
    • PanicAndParanoia
    • channel/UCIuCzhykv3QdoYj6kkWHq7w
    • panicandparanoia
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 05:56:02 pm »

I do the ones i can't find myself, rip my spare time.
Hard to find are very specific objects, mainly Lab ones.

My motivation, i finish like, 23% of the maps i start or i start rushing them and
then i delete them because they turn out ugly.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The water. The Portals. Multiple Masks. And the fact that there is no way to fix an
axis so you can just drag the object up with your mouse aaaAAAAAAA

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 06:23:17 pm »
Ooh, a mapmaker discussion! Fun, fun.

What meshes do you struggle most to find for your maps?
I like to pay attention to detail, and most of the things I can never find are usually the little detail-y things. These can range from a specific type of flower, a rusty/old bucket, and even some special effects (unlike the ones Glaive has done, more subtle than those). Yes, now that I think about it, some of it is particles.

What's the biggest obstacle you face when map-making?
When an object just won't go where it's supposed to. Thank goodness for the XYZ arrows or I would be pulling my hair out.

Do you have a map-making pet peeve?
When I have to delete extra particles! Ughh, it's worth it because then you feel like a Hackerman™.  Hmm, and also when the coordinates don't fit in the XYZ boxes. Though, it's not that far off but still annoying.
 Math skillz = rounding helps. Placing a tiny object where you wish to place the gate to/from Cape is a good idea, that way it's more "exact."

Can we all calm down for just a minute and thank Kov for adding the place on mesh, and "Own Collision" button.
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 06:43:57 pm »

Can we all calm down for just a minute and thank Kov for adding the place on mesh, and "Own Collision" button.

Yes.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 09:58:01 pm »
Unique props. There's so many plants, trees, and rocks available for download, it overshadows the themed subject matter. For example I don't see a lot of urban city meshes available despite being a pretty popular map idea.
What objects to put in big empty spaces. I'm a huge perfectionist and I want every part to look nice and inspired, but sometimes I struggle with ideas and tend to overthink it.
The navigational map on the top left corner. ;v; I downloaded a mod in order to move it to the opposite side.
How difficult it is to create realistic/accessible tunnels and dens.
Sometimes you have to apply a texture to a mesh manually and I find it so tedious. :<