Poll

Why cant we have wings? wings make me happy so we can fly WEE!!

Wings
No wings
I dont know

Author Topic: Wings-the only thing i ask for  (Read 25558 times)

Offline Narifia

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • "Watashi wa nagareboshi no senshi gozen--Vega!"
    • View Profile
Re: Wings-the only thing i ask for
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 10:06:47 pm »
I don't give a crap about having wings so that I can fly.

I want wings so that my characters who have wings don't look so naked. I have an original species that FH recreates nearly perfectly, except for the lack of wings.

If Kovu wanted FH to be so realistic, there wouldn't be so much unrealistic about it.

Forget functional wings. I just want them for decoration. Can't someone who is close to Kov suggest non-functioning wings that are just there for customization/looks? He can have his realistic "having to use your head to get around, explore, find things, etc." all he wants. I just want wings so my characters are complete, NOT so that I can fly around.

Besides, Kovu's logic has one serious flaw, because one of the camera angles allows you to basically leave your character's body and set the camera angle high enough so that you can explore everything aerially anyway. Moot point.

Sorry to be so blunt; I love Kovu's work, don't get me wrong. I just disagree with his logic on wings is all. If they're non-functional and just there to complete characters, then it doesn't hurt his views on exploration at all. It seems to me that adding non-functional wings would make for a compromise that could please the majority, Kovu included. You can appreciate and love someone's work and still disagree with him/her. That's what being mature is all about. I just wanted to make that clear.

Also: I don't accept the "realism" argument, and I won't unless it comes from Kovu's mouth directly. Even if it did, I would still argue; There's too much evidence of unrealistic things in FH for me to believe that argument. Arguing for "realistic creativity" doesn't work either, because realistic felines don't have dragon ears, and canines don't have goblin ears, no matter how creative you want to be. A large portion of the markings are unrealistic; you'd never see them in nature. I can't think of a single animal out there that has Skeleton markings, except for the Death's-Head Moth, but is FH a moth roleplaying game? Not without wings!

You can't have it both ways. You can't have some unrealistic things and then tell other people you don't want one unrealistic thing because it's unrealistic. If you just flat-out say "I don't want wings, even non-functioning ones" then I'll accept that based on the fact that it's your game. But I will not accept it based on an invalid argument.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:32:06 pm by Narifia »

"Night & Day
Sou sakende kizutsuite mo
Just Day By Day Ashita o mitsukeru!"
Do As Infinity-'Tooku Made'

TealSkeletore

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 11:27:15 pm »
When we see the lilac font, we know Narifia is in the building!

Nar, I suppose I agree with you. However the issue with non-functional wings is that, then once we have them, everyone will be asking to be able to fly! And it will just be the same thing all over again.

Offline Ziel

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • The Small Smilodon
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 02:19:10 am »
I've been reading it, and here's my two cents:

FH is in no way, shape, or form too realistic for wings. The lions look like something straight out of TLK, and you can have dragon ears, a feather tail, and brightly colored sparkley tribal markings.

My personal opinion is that if Kovu wants to let us customize our characters, he shouldn't inhibit us. Maybe you can't fly with your wings, but having them will work just fine.

If Kovu wanted FH to be realistic, I think he should make a more realistic mesh, get rid of the eyebrows and such, and also get rid of the ability to have unrealistic colors/presets. Sure, a lot of people will cry and complain, but if he wants FH to be so REALISTIC, this is the route to take.

That's my opinion. Let us customize to the extreme, or make us just like everyone else.

Offline Narifia

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • "Watashi wa nagareboshi no senshi gozen--Vega!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 02:26:05 am »
Lol Teal xD Yeah, I suppose this color does define me :P

Admittedly, I do see your point on this. But if it is made clear that the wings are for decoration only, and that the reason for that is to promote exploration, then how can people complain?

Also, exactly what I mean, Ziel :) Good points.

"Night & Day
Sou sakende kizutsuite mo
Just Day By Day Ashita o mitsukeru!"
Do As Infinity-'Tooku Made'

weylin

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 09:13:28 am »
I hate wings, and I've never used them, but I think that they would be a nice customization for those who have winged characters, and quite a few do.

Offline Motoko

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Augen auf- Ich komme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 07:28:19 pm »
Here's an idea:
on maps, enable a 'flight mode' via checkbox, this will be unchecked by default, so if people want to fly, make a map and go fly around it.
Caught quicksand grip
Pull me in
Whisper faith in sickness

WindzLaLa

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2011, 07:53:58 pm »
Paying for prests is a horribl.e idea; I refuse to pay for an awesome game. :c

Silentstep

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2011, 09:14:18 pm »
Frankly, I'm all for wings. One my of characters is a winged wolf anyway, and flying is so much fun. I wouldn't even mind paying to enable wings on my account, as long as they didn't cost much.

Offline GemWolf

• Avani's Ninja Agent
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • play rain world
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2011, 09:21:14 pm »
Well... this changes my opinion greatly.
I have to agree with everyone. Even non-functional wings would be awesome, and they have a point about the realistic customization. If Kov really wanted the game to be more realistic, we wouldn't have all the customization power we have. Yes, I suppose the meshes look improved, but that's really the only realistic feature...
Don't get me wrong. I love Kov's and the team's work on the game. They did a phenomenal job.   But, I agree with everyone. This game is not too realistic for wings at all. I think we should be allowed to have them in-game. I highly doubt Kov will add them... but, we should be able to have non-functioning wings at least.

Offline PaJayJay

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 9
  • "If I get hungry I'll just eat UR FACE."
    • View Profile
Re: Wings-the only thing I ask for
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2011, 09:22:19 pm »
I will not be pushy about this, I admire everyone on the team, I'm thankful for their making this game for us at all.
But I never played IT. So I'm not sick and tired of winged lions, I'd like to see wings personally, and maybe limited flapping, To avoid climbing map cheats. I'm not for the game going down again just because of wings. If the staff says no, they say no.