Author Topic: An AFK Status  (Read 2271 times)

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
An AFK Status
« on: September 06, 2012, 04:03:43 pm »
Well I've looked around the forum a bit and haven't seen this mentioned so sorry if I am repeating an idea that may have already been mentioned. If anyone knows where it has been mentioned before link me so I can support it. Any way here's the idea:

Wouldn't it be nice if Kovu could implement some kind of indicator in the next update that people can switch on to their character when they are afk aka "away from the keyboard" or just away from their character in general? There are many times I wish I could label my character as being away temporarily. There was a time I had my hands full and was eatting dinner but I was still looking at my FeralHeart screen and I noticed numerous people having long elaborate conversations with me thinking I was there when I wasn't. I have even seen people get mad thinking I was ignoring them. It would be cool if the indicator would show not only on the person's character but maybe even on the friendslist if we are friends with that person. There are many times I have had a friend of mine who is all the way across Fluorite and I run to them just to find out they are away... It can be pretty annoying especially if that person is going to be away for a while you wouldn't want to just stand there waiting the whole length of their absense when you could be running around doing something else in the meantime. When the person comes back they can press some kind of indicator that shows they are back.
Maybe the indicator can be a small dot by their name that glows either green when they are available or red when they are away.

Anyway I'd love to hear all your opinions on this good bad etc all is welcome :).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:11:47 pm by LordSuragaha »

Offline Zaroque

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 388
    • zaroqueart
    • View Profile
    • Zaroque's dA.
Re: An AFK Status
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 04:07:36 pm »
I remember someone posting this idea a while back, and everyone liking it.

I do think this is a good idea, because I get rather bothered when a lot of friends are 'AFK', and I want to have a conversation with them. It also helps people not to flood the Local or whisper section with 'are you there'? Which I've experienced far too often...

I think at the end of your name there should be (afk) or your name tag a different shade, perhaps grey.
~ Z A R O Q U E ~
jaaaeeger
Art || DoE

Offline starkwolf

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 05:29:26 pm »
I like your idea, but to elaborate on it further, I think that once someone is away for a certain period of time or longer, the status should automatically turn to AFK. Sometimes I get surprise phone calls and can't return to the game for a while, but I feel bad about just suddenly dropping a conversation.
Been away for a while. When I come back, I have an ambitious RP in mind. PM me if interested.

Offline Abomine

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • I'm that weird chick who's obsessed with deer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 01:08:30 am »
I would love a feature like this. More people need to see this thread!

To Isengard! To Isengard!

My deviantART

Offline Wolfie_Lover

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 01:14:27 am »
I love this idea! I was thinking about it for a while. Like, if the person is away for sometime the animal should be transparent-ish. And their name turns into-Like what Zaroque said-a different color like something that shows off quite a bit-unlike the yellow/orange tag we already have-like a grey or a slate blue. Something around those corners.

Offline Haruki

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • "Better to be carried by six than tried by twelve"
    • View Profile
    • CatalinaPacks
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 02:35:32 am »
Absolutely.

This idea would be constantly used.
Perhaps we could go further to allow a small text box to type what we are doing or our status. Like, when you click on the friend and how you might normally select "find", there would be a new button called "Status". You click it and it says something they've typed, like "Roleplaying", "Busy", "Let'sTalk" or something of the like. That way learning all sorts of different color codes isnt necessary.

The status could also be found for non-friends by them clicking on their names in general and the little box pops up with a little "status" button. Maybe to edit your status, you click on yourself and change it in the same spot. Just like with changing your bio.

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 04:47:24 am »
I've seen this in a game thta hardly anyone plays. In that game someone would type "/AFK" when they are afk or justt type "/brb" if they are on brb. These is a very nice idea and it's different from the game that i justt talked about so, i agree it to happen if it's possible but i wouldn't keep your hopes up because it seems pretty...... Hard or maybe even impossible.

Offline wolffox

• COOL MOM
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 188
  • icon by T0XIIIC, sig by Bawfle <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 04:55:02 am »
Every FH player who knows me, also knows that I would use this nonstop. xD Would definitely love to see something like this implemented in the future. I can't see it becoming a bad thing at all really... Not to mention it would help us stafferz and make our jobs easier as well, even. Well thought out idea here, floof; loving all the ideas in this thread so far. ^_^ Now the only question left is "when".... if ever.

Offline Tessel.

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 54
  • and this time, we're gonna get funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 01:13:05 am »
They really need a way to indicate that you are AFK.

I have had numorous people come talk to me, ask me to join there RP, ect. while I wasn't there. Then, they go off thinking your ignoring them.

Siggy and avi by me. PM me if you need anything, friends.

Hawkwing

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 07:47:55 pm »
Very good idea. Especially with the afk option in the friends list. It could also show up if you try to whisper someone not in your friends list so say you tried to whisper someone an error message like the 'so-and-so is offline' could come up in the chat saying 'so-and-so is on AFK mode' or something