Author Topic: Additions to the forum  (Read 5124 times)

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 152
    • View Profile
Additions to the forum
« on: August 16, 2017, 11:00:55 pm »
Additions to the forum

Add a contact form

The contact form could be an alternative to officially reach the Staff/Admins of FeralHeart. Perhaps moderators will not read or deal with contact forms, and only admins will.
It would be required to type in your Username, Email address and a Subject of the form. Players could use it if they have a suggestion or if they want to say what would they like to be changed on FeralHeart. It's just that not everyones uses the forum to share their suggestions with the community and some people may not/don't know how to contact a Staff member about private matters. The contact form could be even used for appealing bans and just feedback.

A mod to @mention members

I know that this has been brought up before but I've found a mod that I think it's compatible with our current version of the forum, because it has manual instructions on how to install it.

Quote from:
Allows members to tag others via @<username>, shows up under Profile and members can set to be notified via e-mail. Adds a new permission enabling membergroups to be granted permission to mention others. Supports active suggestions while mentioning in posts as well as quick reply.

Link to the mod: *click*
Manual Install Instructions for SMF 2.0.14: *click*

Please let me know your thoughts and comments on this. Thank you!

Signature art by Kynvuu

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
Re: Additions to the forum
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 11:03:33 pm »
I really think the mentioning thing is something that is really needed. Makes it so much easier to get in touch with certain members.

That first idea is also rather good, although as it works now, just messaging a mod with questions and concerns works well too. Would be a good addition but don't think it's actually needed.

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 12:41:35 am »
I really think the mentioning thing is something that is really needed. Makes it so much easier to get in touch with certain members.

That first idea is also rather good, although as it works now, just messaging a mod with questions and concerns works well too. Would be a good addition but don't think it's actually needed.

Thank you for sharing your opinion, Azura. It's really appreciated.

As for your assumption, I don't think it would be unnecessary. I can name a lot of sites, which have a contact form/ticket system - real people are coming to this site and they may want to contact the Staff. You need to give them the oppurtunity with a contact form. People have been making threads about their restricted access to the game for ages, maybe a contact form could lessen the count of such threads.

Signature art by Kynvuu

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 180
  • A wild floof has appeared!
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
    • VortexAlive is Rawrsome
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 01:02:01 am »
I also think the @mention feature would be a wonderful and very useful addition to the forum!  ;D

I'm unsure about the contact form though. It could be useful but would also be somewhat redundant since this can easily be done by simply PMing the staff from the staff page. :o
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.

Offline turtlies

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • loves to lurk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 01:12:52 am »
I'm completely on-board with the mentioning system. It'd make a lot of things much easier, and I think it would especially come in handy if you're crediting someone or even just trying to notify your friend of something. It could even be useful for notifying contest winners and such, there's a lot of ways it could be useful! So I completely support this.

I think the first idea could be helpful, but there's also a lot of potential for trolling and spam. It might be more helpful for asking for direct help about questions that would need to be answered by staff or people wondering about bans, and maybe it could make people a little less nervous about speaking directly to a specific staff member, but I feel many users would use it as a way to just angrily insult the staff/game or use it as a replacement for the Game Opinions and Ideas/Help boards. I might just be misunderstanding, though. :o

he/him
bro what if i put my feralheart cave next to yours.. bro what if they only had one flattened bush mesh to lay on and we had to share... haha just kidding... unless...?

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 07:33:50 am »
I also think the @mention feature would be a wonderful and very useful addition to the forum!  ;D

I'm unsure about the contact form though. It could be useful but would also be somewhat redundant since this can easily be done by simply PMing the staff from the staff page. :o

Thank you for replying, Vortex. It's highly appreciated!

Yes, I will have to agree that this could be easily done by simply sending a PM to a Staff member, but... it's just that not everyone seems to do that. Let's take FeralHeart's Official Tumblr page for example - it is basically the same but the difference would be that this contact form would be a thing on the actual site and you will be able to type in a subject/category of your message. And the messages submitted will not appear anywhere else.

Signature art by Kynvuu

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 07:40:21 am »
I'm completely on-board with the mentioning system. It'd make a lot of things much easier, and I think it would especially come in handy if you're crediting someone or even just trying to notify your friend of something. It could even be useful for notifying contest winners and such, there's a lot of ways it could be useful! So I completely support this.

I think the first idea could be helpful, but there's also a lot of potential for trolling and spam. It might be more helpful for asking for direct help about questions that would need to be answered by staff or people wondering about bans, and maybe it could make people a little less nervous about speaking directly to a specific staff member, but I feel many users would use it as a way to just angrily insult the staff/game or use it as a replacement for the Game Opinions and Ideas/Help boards. I might just be misunderstanding, though. :o

Thank you for sharing your opinion, I appreciate it!

Well, sometimes taking criticism can be a good thing (but you have to know how to handle and deal with it). Interpreting someone else's feedback is an opportunity for rational thinking - sometimes, despite a negative tone, criticism is incredibly useful. If the contact form doesn't help, it doesn't hurt either.

Signature art by Kynvuu

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 170
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 09:36:24 am »
You mentioned that having a contact form would also help people and prevent so many threads from being made in the Help Boards. However, that would deprive helpful floofs from trying to help too. And as a result of that, the Member of the Season concept would be pointless, because many users are nominated/"elected" due to the thoughts that their benevolence and helpfulness needs to be appreciated by the rest of the community, and if it's just the Staff that are being contacted with rarely any Help threads being made, that defeats the purpose of MotS altogether and people will just be nominated for being 'popular' amongst the community. Eventually, people would probably not even want to nominate anymore and it would eventually die down.
PMing Staff members on the forum is easy enough. Making a Help thread gives the users plenty of opportunity for people to get quick replies from other people that are NOT staff, and are online around the time when the thread is made, and that's especially helpful if Staff are not online during that time.

Your idea is great yes, and I especially agree with the mentions idea, but I personally don't see the need of a contact form.

© short ' cakes on Discord ♡

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 10:32:39 am »
You mentioned that having a contact form would also help people and prevent so many threads from being made in the Help Boards. However, that would deprive helpful floofs from trying to help too. And as a result of that, the Member of the Season concept would be pointless, because many users are nominated/"elected" due to the thoughts that their benevolence and helpfulness needs to be appreciated by the rest of the community, and if it's just the Staff that are being contacted with rarely any Help threads being made, that defeats the purpose of MotS altogether and people will just be nominated for being 'popular' amongst the community. Eventually, people would probably not even want to nominate anymore and it would eventually die down.
PMing Staff members on the forum is easy enough. Making a Help thread gives the users plenty of opportunity for people to get quick replies from other people that are NOT staff, and are online around the time when the thread is made, and that's especially helpful if Staff are not online during that time.

Your idea is great yes, and I especially agree with the mentions idea, but I personally don't see the need of a contact form.

Actually, I didn't say that. I said the contact form could lessen the threads about people's restricted access to the game and that it would be for giving feedback and suggesting ideas. I can see where everyone's coming from but I don't think it would hurt to have such thing on the forums. As for tagging members, this has been suggested before but it wasn't really that much discussed.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 04:16:23 pm by Valhayes »

Signature art by Kynvuu

Offline Yogurt204

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 08:45:49 pm »
Ooooh, I love the mention idea. That would make everything feel so much smoother, rather than just hoping someone you mention will see the thread/comment you want them to see before it's lost in the depths of the forum, haha.