Author Topic: Wolfspeak  (Read 8058 times)

-WhereSunRises-

Re: Wolfspeak
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 07:35:45 am »
To  be honest? I HATE IT! You can't understand what is the jerk talking about and you are like: "Man are you feeling ok?" It just buggs me hell alot -_- Most newbies come along it and end up being confused. Poor guys. It might sound uniique but It is hard to learn all the words in the world! Think about those who can't speak english very well. I know what Iam talking about. Simply said, I dislike it. Only my opinion.

Offline Hakumi

• ✩ Just A Virtuous Smol ✩
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 130
  • A Smol & Helpful Floof ~
    • leanim3fr3akzoid
    • LeAnim3Fr3akzoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 09:31:22 am »
Ah , the wolfspeak. . . .
In my opinion , I find it quite interesting to say the least even though I don't really use it. Learning all these anatomy terms and such makes it hard to follow , but I can't help but be interested to learn it ( If that makes sense ).
Whenever I do see some wolfspeak around in a roleplay or something , I like to just hang around and watch ( If they group doesn't mind it ) and learn a thing or two.

On the other hand, I can see why it would be frustrating and confusing. Learning all these words for something simple can be a bit of a headache....But hey, that's how people came about and things. Some like it this way , some like it that way and some people want to add something in their speech and such.

So to me, Wolfspeak isn't so bad , but it can be confusing as I said before.
Nice Topic Though ~

Keep on traveling across this road called 'Life.'

Discord: Haku - Haku#74O7

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 12:44:42 pm »
Well, I have a love hate relationship with wolfspeak. I'll admit, I used to be one of those people who would use it full blown. Now I kinda lessened up and I only use it here and there. You do have a valid point though, it is very confusing and for those whom don't know it or have a different vocabulary than the wolf speakers, it can be very hard to understand. Not to mention that some of the phrases or words used in wolfspeak aren't accurate when talking about certain anotomical parts. It's more of a way to sound fancy in role-play. But I got to admit it kinda does get a little cringe out of me when people just start making up words that don't even correspond to the actual body part. For example, cranium used to describe head. A cranium is a part of the skull that protects the brain, so I cringe and laugh a little when I think about someone "lifting their cranium [skull] to the sky." Like all their head is is just a skull. XD But to sum it up, I only like to use it when the terms make sense for what I'm describing. Like "limbs" for legs or "optics" for eyes.
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 03:51:29 pm »
honestly i don't care about it

it's not real words but it's interesting to read for me, and a lot of the people i've seen use it are actually nice people, and only a handful were absolute jerkwads.

what really bothers me about it is that as soon as you start using wolfspeak people will automatically turn on you and assume you're some stuck-up snobby person and judge you for it, even if they've only seen you post once.

it's mind boggling and quite insane in my opinion.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 04:11:52 pm »
Hmm. Here's my thought on the topic.

I learned about WolfSpeak way back in the Wolf Quest days and on some other wolf roleplaying sites before Feral Heart even existed. At first glance I was totally lost as to what anyone was talking about. It sounded very strange and flowery in a sense. I figured it was something the "cool" and " old" roleplayers did xD I didn't dislike it but I always preferred to roleplay with folks who I understood xD I didn't start disliking WolfSpeak up until I actually met some folks who roleplayed with it. Unfortunately most people who use it seem to be very snooty and act like you're not as fancy & skilled with roleplaying if you don't use it.

I'm not one to bash WolfSpeak in general, I mean everyone has their styles and preferences. I just don't understand it or like to use it. If you look at the literal meaning of the terms and translate WolfSpeak in that sense it does sound silly but to be honest English & languages in general are an ever shifting thing. People come up with new meanings for words all the time so in a way WolfSpeak isn't as bad as some make it seem... Neither are the people using it. Also keep in mind that some people who have never roleplayed before or are very young may find it fancy or cool and learn to roleplay that way because of it.

She only aspect I hated of WolfSpeak was that some users used it as a status thing or an "in group" thing and if you didn't get it or do it they treated you like you're inexperienced or not interesting. Technically that's the same thing people who don't WolfSpeak seem to be doing to WolfSpeakers now xD.

So overall, I don't use it or like it much but I don't really see anything wrong it in if some like roleplaying in that style. The worst thing about is really is if people use those terms the wrong way outside of roleplaying xD Cause then that's not good lol

Offline forks

• tiny silverware enthusiast
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • icon by reudiart
    • soupforks
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 04:43:18 pm »
Like Sura, I don't hate wolfspeak, but I prefer to roleplay with those who I can understand. There's no need to act pompous because you know anatomy better than some people. Everybody has their own unique and beautiful way of roleplaying and nobody is better than anybody else. At least, in my opinion.

I don't use wolfspeak, but sometimes I will throw in the occasional "cranium" or "maw", but only to make the post a pinch more interesting. However, it's not often.

So I'm pretty much a 75% dislike, 25% whatever person on the subject.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 05:02:15 pm by Echoz »

signature by g0thic_vibes1

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 05:40:16 pm »
Everybody has their own unique and beautiful way of roleplaying and nobody is better than anybody else.
^
YES <3 And that's what I value most in our community, that we are so different & can appreciate and respect those differances. Well said :3

Offline forks

• tiny silverware enthusiast
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • icon by reudiart
    • soupforks
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 06:14:16 pm »
Everybody has their own unique and beautiful way of roleplaying and nobody is better than anybody else.
^
YES <3 And that's what I value most in our community, that we are so different & can appreciate and respect those differances. Well said :3

Exactly. Sadly, some people do not respect differences. Everyone is amazing and it hurts to know that some people don't see it. Things like literacy and grammar, while do show what a person could be like, isn't the most important thing in a roleplay. It's the people - not their understanding of anatomy.

signature by g0thic_vibes1

-WhereSunRises-

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 06:55:39 pm »
^

Exactly. Sadly, some people do not respect differences. Everyone is amazing and it hurts to know that some people don't see it. Things like literacy and grammar, while do show what a person could be like, isn't the most important thing in a roleplay. It's the people - not their understanding of anatomy.
Exactly! Nery well said guys. Actually, maybe that disrecpect towards me and other players made me hate the wolfspeak. Iam really sorry for those who aren't accepted to their dream group just becouse of some literacy or wolf speak missing in their word library...

Offline Tortuga

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • Still trying to meet my pun quota.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 05:19:53 am »
I certainly don't have a problem with people having different styles; I've seen lovely plays on words inspired by Wolfspeak! However, the excessive use of Wolfspeak, from a writing perspective, is prone to being counter productive for the same reason beating a thesaurus to death to force big words into a novel is; if only "the elite" can understand your writing, your meaning and message can only reach so many people. As roleplay-style writing relies on clear communication to be effective and fun, this can be a problem, depending on your audience.

As a general rule, most writers find that common, simple words are usually more powerful than high level, rare and/or elaborate ones. For example, the phrase "burning anger" has more punch to it than "ardent anger", since many of us have more vivid associations with the word "burning". In the same sense, the word "leg" has a more vivid and direct association to the body part we mean to describe than the word "pillar" is.

But if you really think about it, as long as your partners can understand you and you aren't a snotty grouch about it, it doesn't matter either way.  ;)
This user is 90% real crab meat!