Author Topic: How to make a custom Terrain Height Map with GIMP! (w/pictures!!)  (Read 25405 times)

Offline Piebaby

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • Will work for karma! ;u;
    • View Profile
Hey guys! Piebaby here with ANOTHER tut.This time we'll be working on making custom terrain maps.This is what one looks like:

Ready?Okay then,let's begin!

1.First of all you need a program called GIMP(It also works with Photoshop,but im doing GIMP 'cause i have it.)Its free and you can googlesearch "GIMP" and go to the ofc website.When you download it,The icon should look like this:

2.Open up GIMP.You need to make the image 513 by 513 pixels.You also need to go down to "Advanced Options" and change it from RGB to Grayscale.This is what it should look like before you press "Ok":

3.Okay,now you want a nice gray color.I chose this:

4.Press "Ok" and get the fill bucket tool.Now, fill the whole canvass with the gray.

5.Here is your reference guide to the coloring that i made for you(you don't have to make one if you remember)

6.Here's the fun part 8DNow its time to make your vallies/oceans or mountains/hills! There is no wrong way to make a terrain map, so just be creative and have fun!! Here an example of what I did[And please don't copy mine i might use it later (;]

7.DON'T PRESS "SAVE AS" YET!!You need to select the "Blur" tool and blurring that map like crazy 8D

8.Now, press "File>Save As" and go to Local Disc Drive>FeralHeart>media>terrains. MAKE SURE YOU NAME IT WHATEVER YOU WANT AND AS A ".PNG" FILE!!!

9.Now open up the game,FeralHeart and go to Tools>Mapmaker.
10.Go to the "World" tab and in the selection "Terrain Height Map" type in what you saved your maps name as.(Don't forget .png!!)and press your "Enter" key.

Hope this helped!

-Piebaby

(If your game crashes, make sure you made it grayscale and saved it as .png at the end!!)

Working on:
How to make Terrain Height Maps Masks
A Guide For Lost Users
How to make Presets
How to Use The Color Scheme Correctly

Offline WolfgangtheHusky

• Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
Re: How to make a custom Terrain Height Map with GIMP! (w/pictures!!)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 08:01:43 pm »
I have followed all of these steps but for some reason when I go to load the file it shuts my game down, what to I do please?
If you wish to contact me please seek my Deviant Art account~ WolfgangtheHusky.

Offline Piebaby

• Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • Will work for karma! ;u;
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 11:23:27 pm »
I have followed all of these steps but for some reason when I go to load the file it shuts my game down, what to I do please?
Make sure you've merged the picture. And if it still doesn't work, Open the terrain, then open a new 513x513 grayscale canvas. Copy the terrain you made, then paste it onto the new canvas. Then merge, and save as a .png . Hope this helped ;D

-Piebaby

Offline mamaglider

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 04:18:00 am »
I am having trouble getting a terrain to work as well. I'm not sure if it's me or the program I am using? I created a 512x512 at first for many attempts. Then saw yours saying to use 513x513 and still the game wants to crash on me. I'm only using one layer, and using greyscale. I'm not sure if I am just using too many shades of grey, making it too advanced or what...? It's not working for me at all...it always crashes. Is this just a screw up with the latest patch, or am I doing something wrong. I am using Paint Tool SAI, but have also tried to make maps using Gimp.

Its a shame...because I'd really love to make my own terrain height maps. I have alot of neat ideas for one...If I can't make terrains I suppose I'll just have to deal with flat land for now. But I'm hoping you can help me out, or someone can.

Thanks

Offline Ingredient

• ~Dead men tell no tales~
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 366
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 12:22:33 am »
I am having trouble getting a terrain to work as well. I'm not sure if it's me or the program I am using? I created a 512x512 at first for many attempts. Then saw yours saying to use 513x513 and still the game wants to crash on me. I'm only using one layer, and using greyscale. I'm not sure if I am just using too many shades of grey, making it too advanced or what...? It's not working for me at all...it always crashes. Is this just a screw up with the latest patch, or am I doing something wrong. I am using Paint Tool SAI, but have also tried to make maps using Gimp.

Its a shame...because I'd really love to make my own terrain height maps. I have alot of neat ideas for one...If I can't make terrains I suppose I'll just have to deal with flat land for now. But I'm hoping you can help me out, or someone can.

Thanks

I suggest saving the files with Terrain.png at the end of them. Im always saving mine as that and in my map folder.
Might i add that it might be a better idea to save a map in Map Maker then save the heightmap in that folder instead of just the "Terrains" folder (It keeps it a bit less messy)
Will be inactive due to work and exams.

Offline Whitegaze

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 01:41:47 am »
I have saved the height map in both my map folder and the terrain folder and it still shuts down my game. I did put terrain.png at the end as well. I have aslo made the map 513x513.

Whitegaze
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:01:35 pm by Whitegaze »

Offline Lazerwolf0617

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 02:31:52 am »
How do i do that? i have the newist version of gimp

Offline Lazerwolf0617

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 02:33:09 am »
I still dunno how to do it

Offline Denio

• Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • Samili
    • RedsMemories
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 02:14:31 am »
What's with the MLB Background? :P.

Offline Blazefire

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 05:11:38 am »
Ty for posting this! Me and my sister have been scourging the site to find out how to do this, but I see alot of ppl saying this is not working, so if it doesn't, Ill post back and can you tell me what I did wrong? Ty so much.