Author Topic: What does it take to have an encapturing/interesting roleplay?  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Potent

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
What does it take to have an encapturing/interesting roleplay?
« on: February 17, 2016, 03:26:04 am »
I've spent weeks on my sites and plots - there's so much thought that goes into the roleplays I host. But when recruiting time comes around, I may get 20-something members - but only 2 are actually active? Am I doing something wrong?

They're always literate, every member SEEMS to be interested - but they never show up again for some reason...
It sort of brings me down, and makes my motivation way way low. Any suggestions on how to make a roleplay likable and interesting enough for people to stick around and actually have fun?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 03:43:45 am by Juxtaposed »

Offline Enoki

• Herba Chronographus
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
  • Who lives in a portabella under a tree?
    • FantasyFungus
    • EnokiTheDryphon
    • Enoki_G
    • View Profile
    • The Realms of Yugure
Re: What does it take to have an encapturing/interesting roleplay?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 03:30:31 am »
Naw, ye aren't doing anything wrong. This is actually quite normal. There are always those people that want to join a group, but don't 'ave the actual commitment to come back online. I 'ave this issue a lot, and after getting a decent grouping of members, say forty or so, only ten or less come back often. Just keep at it and do what ye do best. Ye will find that ye will 'ave y'er regulars, and the few that only come on f'er special occasions.

'Tis good to hear that ye put a lot of thought in y'er roleplays! That is the main key to keeping a good roleplay going. Just be sure to keep those plots coming and keep 'em interesting.

Tmw you planned a ten minute nap but instead took a whole year.
☙Icon by dA JRProducts; Sig by PocketMutt❧

Offline Hakumi

• ✩ Just A Virtuous Smol ✩
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 130
  • A Smol & Helpful Floof ~
    • leanim3fr3akzoid
    • LeAnim3Fr3akzoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 04:54:19 am »
Just Keep At It Mate~!
I've had the same thing happened during the past few failed attempts of having a group. As Enoki said, some floofs just don't have the actual commitment and we can't really blame them. Kinda like...a spur of the moment, y'know?
So just keep bringing something new to the table. Maybe you can ask your group members on some advice, hear them out. Let their voice be heard. Like in the newest one I made ( Fairly New ) I ask my most recent members what they like in the group and I got some pretty decent feedback, especially for the roleplaying.
So maybe that'll help them as well. . . .

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but don't give up and just keep doing what ya love ^^

Keep on traveling across this road called 'Life.'

Discord: Haku - Haku#74O7

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 170
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 09:50:56 am »
Perhaps doing events and contests might also help you encourage your members to be more active However sometimes you'll find it's not that they're never on, it might be because of the timezones- they might come on when you're not, and that can be a problem sometimes as they'll be missing out when you're online. ^^'

© short ' cakes on Discord ♡

Offline Laureneda

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • She's mad but she's magic. No lie in her fire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 10:14:09 am »
Yep. I totally agree with Shurtle.

By the time I'm free and sit down to go on FH, there are barely any people on (Like 80-160 people max). Why is this you ask? Because my timezone is completely different for most people.

I know this bugs me, so I know that it would bug you. So don't give your hopes up just yet!!

Offline Rostova

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
    • BurrBoi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 02:23:26 pm »
I agree with Shurtle and Lauren, plus they might have other chars with other groups they are loyal to. So they must keep a balance of their groups. Plus maybe they log-in when you don't and roleplay with other group members? Keep this in mind and have an eye out for them. Plus, its completely normal as Enoki said. Just every now and then get new members, and soon you'll have a strong group. Who knows? Maybe one of those "inactive" members with a different timezone might log-in when you do?

~wolfwaffles

P.S sorry if that's all one big blob, i'll fix it soon.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 02:25:29 pm by Wolfwaffles »

Lights and streetlamps flicker in the snow

Offline Edolicious

• Luck o' the Irish
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 108
  • Luck O' the Irish
    • Edolicious
    • Edolicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 02:23:50 pm »

Tips on Starting up your Roleplay

Adding this in.

Hosting movie nights via togethertube, hosting mini-plots (for example, an RP I used to be in had mini-plots such as a bear attack, though all injuries were 'approved' in secret, to avoid random dramatic deaths, fatal blows, etc.) , and having holiday parties open to everyone are not only great ways to connect with your group, but also to advertise and connect with users who might become interested in it.

Although as the leader, you're obviously going to be very busy, most members of groups do not feel motivated to RP if their leader is not. If the leader isn't having a good time, chances are the members won't either. Making sure that you have the best attitude about your roleplay is a huge part of people wanting to stick around.

Be friendly, but also enforce your rules. Don't let a friend break the rules just because they're your friend, then have a harsh talk with a newer member about the same issue. Be fair.

Include everyone in your group. Having some of your closer friends join is a great way to bring a positive atmosphere about the group, but if you're not reaching out to new members, they won't feel included, and therefore won't feel inclined to come online.

Be as active as you can be. If members don't see their leader online in a group, they feel less motivated to get/stay online.

Create different 'trials' or 'tasks' for each rank or member to do. If you send out a hunting patrol and border patrol daily, it gives members something to RP about.

Keep the random over the top dramatics to a minimum, but keep it interesting. If something dramatic, such as a character dying, is going to take place, plan everything out beforehand. Let people know someone's character is going to die, but don't give away who. This will hook users in wanting to be a part of this character's final moments, and finding out who it is.

Play with the pups/cubs of your roleplay, too. It's too often seen that the little ones in a group are ignored for one reason or another, and that never feels too nice.

Make sure everyone can be comfortable within the group's chat/RP topic. For instance, if someone is telling scary stories about spiders in front of someone who is arachnophobic, that user will probably feel uncomfortable coming online when that specific person is online, which can be a real problem if said person is very active.

Don't be someone who gives up on an RP after even one or two weeks of little to no people wanting to join. Despite what you may think, people DO recognize you as the leader of said roleplay, even if it's just from the movies you post. Canceling one roleplay and opening up another, then doing it all over again, may lead people to think that once you get bored with the RP they want to join, you'll end up closing up shop. Stick to your RP. It takes quite a long time for an RP to become big and popular, often months and months. Keep at it, you'll get there someday.

Last of all, what's most important is to make your roleplay unique. It's your roleplay, don't make it a copy of someone else's. Even just a simple wolf pack can differ from another in endless ways.

I hope I could at least provide a few good tips. Good luck with with your RP.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 03:04:21 pm by .Edolicious. »
Sig by https://twitter.com/limesquares
Avatar by https://deviantart.com/atachi00
Always do the right thing, even if no one is watching.

Offline longjump

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
    • FhNature
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 01:36:28 pm »
Going to toss in my advice as a long-term group leader~ (19 months of activity)
1 in 10 members will go inactive. That's just how it goes, in my experience. You'll get 30 people over the course of a month if recruiting is good and you might end up with 5/7 actives that stick around, IF you put in the effort in keeping them. Of course those numbers fluctuate depending on the time you spend recruiting and what kind of group you have, and FH's own activity at the time. But uh- here are my tips!

1- Have a decent website or a place for information, and make sure that this website is ORGANZIED and the font and color scheme is EASY to read! If I join an RP and find the website or place of information is hideous and all over the place, then I quit. This can simply be a group bio- but if you're aiming long-term you'll want something more.

2- Have a good staff team and base members. This can be hard, but it's even harder to start an rp all on your lonesome. Get some friends to join, friends you know are active and responsible, and have them make high ranked or interesting characters. These friends are your staff and even if you as a leader cannot be on all the time, they should be able to step in and start rp when you're not. KEEP IN MIND that the LEADER tag will ALWAYS make a bigger impact on members then a deputy, beta, etc.

3- Roleplay immediately after recruiting. Don't recruit until people are logging off- get one, two people, then go back and rp with them. People are far less likely to stay if they don't rp their first day. My technique as a WC leader was to immediately rp putting patrols together, lead by people already in the rp who knew the territory/ways around. They'd help newbies get into the swing of things, and then your members are FORCED to rp together- nobody can sit in the corner and whine that they were ignored or that their character is 'too shy' to approach others.

4- Make recruiting a group-wide thing. Encourage members to send out creative and funny ads. Get a line going, chat and be friendly to other groups. NEVER, EVER pick a fight or act salty towards another group in fluorite. They're not 'hogging' or 'stealing' members- people pick which group to join and accusing other groups of this is eXTREMELY insulting to people who joined them, at least IMHO. Use movie clips and local

5- Have a main plot in the works from the get-go. You need something, sandbox rps just dont work on FH 90% of the time. Try to avoid cliche tropes and make it something members can get inVOLVED IN. Another example from a WC rp: Plot was DF bitter cats trying to wipe out the clans. We had members apply for 'plot roles' that were a secret! We made sure they knew they might be playing bad or good guys, and asked tons of questions about their characters, and then picked the ones that best fit DF trainees. This way the entire plot was run by members and one, ONE staff leader.

6- Like I cannot stress the above enough make sure your main plot revolves around more then just one leader.

7- Like mentioned above, enforce your rules- and have good rules, please. Don't be vague, be specific. Also keep in mind that as a leader you need to be willing to take advice, but also know when advice is bad. People will whine that you don't listen to your community but if the community is arguing to allow sparkles in a completely realistic rp, you shouldn't have to bow to them.

8- Have random events all the time. Seriously. Hunting patrol? Have someone make an elk for the wolves to battle, then have a pair of hawks or a flock of crows try to steal the prey. Heck, let people apply for 'plot' crow roles they can play when leaders give them permission. Have bears attack patrols, have a rock slide bury half of camp. Let people apply for random injuries and then deal them out during patrols when nobody suspects a thing. Make a sweet character that everyone loves and then kill them brutally. (someone did that to me i stg I still hurt rip), Get people involved. IMHO, it's best to not tell people these things are happening unless it's a MAJOR event like a group v group raid. Border attacks, minor battles, and all these events are best left as surprises.

9- As mentioned above, you want surprises. You want people logging on wondering what will happen next. Don't tell everyone when something scary or dramatic is going to happen- I speak from experience when I say there WILL be a group of 3 people who ONLY show up for plot events. Only plots. They will never come on any other time and if you don't let them go to the events, and pick active members instead, they'll start spreading rumors- that's just how it is.

10- Favor new and active members. If you have a choice between a new member and an old, inactive member to put on patrol, pick the new one. In my experience people do better when inactivity is clearly not rewarded.

11- Do not recycle staff into high rank spots. Keep a rank until you find a normal member good enough to replace you, then promote them and die eventually whenever. Keep in mind that this person needs to be trustworthy ooc and IC.

12- Have an ooc presence. Enthusiastically greet people when they come online. Ask them about their day, compliment their character, ask to rp and hold a conversation. Just say things. Be a visible presence. if the leader is super active and rps a lot but doesn't chat and connect with members, they won't stay.

13- COMMUNICATE WITH STAFF. make a skype and share everything. screenshot impulsively and save it. You'll be grateful. Never answer a member unless the staff are in agreement or big boss has approved, never publicly slander your staff/leaders, it makes you and the rp look bad. never publicly slander the plot, NEVER publicly slander your rpers. In fact, don't gripe about your rp or the people in your rp ever unless in complete confidential private. If people aren't being active, pick up your plot and recruiting game. Don't make announcements about activity, inactive people don't care and it makes you look inactive to new members.

EDITED- A FEW MORE

Keep in mind that no matter how nice you are, when you have an active group with hopefully 20+ plus rpers coming on nightly, (plus the semi-actives), you can NEVER please everyone. You can try, but unfortunately when you have so many people, and when many of them are younger users, it's impossible to make everyone happy all the time. Someone will get upset over a decision and leave, especially if you enforce the rules. Someone will get upset over a name change or a color change- and that's okay, don't make exceptions for those that throw a tantrum! Just try to stay calm and keep your group calm and stuff!

Whatever your plot is, as long as you avoid cliches and directly copying from other rps, you should be fine. There have been so many FH roleplays you'll be hardpressed to find one that isn't very similar to whatever plot you go with- that's fine, One (bittersweet) aspect about FH is that so few mapped/large-grouped roleplays survive to play out a grand plot to the end. If you keep people entertained and let them be apart of it, they'll be fine with something even semi-generic. A well-plotted WC rp with the original four clans can still be active and fun, even if lots of others try to do it all the time! Same goes for wolf packs, lions, etc. Just you being you and involving members can make it way more 'fun' and 'unique' then another RP that tried the exact same plot and died in a week.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 06:22:30 pm by longjump »

'Glory drakes are radiant, friendly creatures, that sparkle in the sunlight'

Offline ritat

• Incarnated Angel
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 156
  • Will be inactive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 04:05:59 pm »
Wow so many ideas here!~ <3 I'd love to give any possible ideas, even if I don't necessarily roleplay.

1) So firstly, your roleplay does not need to be literate or non-literate to be interesting, it can be anything because what matters is the 'theme' of your roleplay, organisation, creativity and events. If you nail these things, everyone will enjoy at being in any section.  

2) Be active with everyone and treat them equally. I know with experience that if people around you aren't treated with the same respect or kindness then they will doubt you and probably dislike your personality. You might of already seen this too, but I don't really agree with it even if it makes someone feel better than the other. For instance, allow each person to participate in something that they like (not something you should force them in). As a leader, if you have a role which is empty you should be able to take what ever is given to you, not the other participating roleplayers. The more you do this, the more experience you get.

I guess these are my ideas and all the floofs here covered everything anyways. Hope this was useful and use them as you please. <3

Offline Bearnana

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Chirp chirp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 05:57:42 pm »
I know that feeling! Sometimes it stinks, but you just have to realize that this is kind of how a lot of people are on Feralheart, hehe. I even do it from time-to-time, & I don't really mean to; sometimes, roleplays just slip my mind.

What I would suggest?
-Make sure you are super friendly to your fellow group members, even if you don't know them very well. I've been in far too many groups as a newbie where they just kind of 'shunned' you & didn't make you feel very welcome.  :( Not saying you have to be everyone's best friend, but I love it when group leaders are nice & lovely, even to new members. It makes me want to get back on because hey! People are being included here!

-Be active. Ohhh, boy. I get so frustrated when I join a great roleplay, with a great group, lots of potential, & then... huh? The leader's never on?! Nothing makes me more saddened when a roleplay's potential is just wasted like that.

-Be involved! I never really like when the leader of the group seems to only be there to recruit & they never really role-play. I don't know. I just feel like since you're the leader, you should be the one MOST involved with roleplays, with ooc discussions, etc etc.

-Fellow friends? Having a few trusted friends from other role-plays has always been helpful towards me, personally. If you know someone who is trustworthy, & a good roleplayer/colleague, then why not give them a higher rank in your roleplay & have them assist you? For example, when you're not online, perhaps they are; they could moderate the group for you, & make sure things run smoothly, help you plan things for your group, etc etc. :D Possibilities are endless!

-Interesting idea. Perhaps some people are bored of the old run-of-the-mill wolf packs, lion prides, & warrior clans. Who knows? Maybe try a new idea for a group, like a medieval roleplay, or something kind of obscure along those lines! Don't be afraid to try something different. A lot of people like different.  :D

-Do NOT get into confrontations. Even if they're people outside of your group, everyone deserves to be treated with respect! If someone is harassing you or your group, bullying, etc etc, then block them & report them to a moderator. Problem solved. It will also make you look very mature, like you know how to handle yourself.

-Don't force people into roles they don't want to be in! I have this issue a lot. I'll join a roleplay, get so excited to start, &... The leader practically shoves me into a role I don't really want.  ::) It happens, & I don't complain, but I won't lie; it doesn't make me exactly 'excited' to come back online to that group if I don't even want to have that job! Asking people is one thing, but please don't guilt people into roles you're lacking. {Honestly, I would be more willing to be that role if the person simply asked instead of shoving me into it. It also makes me respect you more for having common courtesy. :D } Someone will come around for that role eventually, anywho!

You should realize though, that no matter what you do, some people are ALWAYS going to be inactive after the first day. It's just the way role-players work sometimes. I'dunno why, but it happens.
I hope I, as well as these other floofies!, helped you out here!
{P.S. if you ever want me to help you out with a role-play or anything, feel free to contact me! If you put a lot of work into something, it should be recognized.  :)}
Ingame user: Bearnana
bearnanni.deviantart.com