Author Topic: how do you feel about groups with lots of strict rules?  (Read 2712 times)

Offline papayatoot

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 23
    • papayatoot
    • papayatoot
    • View Profile
how do you feel about groups with lots of strict rules?
« on: December 08, 2017, 04:23:22 pm »
I have noticed throughout my years of playing FH that often times the most popular groups (normally packs) will have a downright absurd amount of rules. Maybe it’s just a side effect from staying an active group for so long and experiencing players that do things that require more rules to be put in place. However, a lot of times i find myself wondering how practical the rules really are. It feels like some groups lose the sense of creativity and spontaneity that comes with roleplay by imposing strict rules on ranks, ranking up, activity levels, sparring, aging up, size and color restrictions, blah blah blah. What do you guys think?

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • I gave up on this FH since I was let down...
    • View Profile
Re: how do you feel about groups with lots of strict rules?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 04:33:28 pm »
For me it depends on what the rules are and what type of group it is. Most people don't realized that some groups need to be a bit strict to stay true to their lore and everything. Also some people may hate rules for one reason or another but in the end the rules were not that hard to follow, so then it would become that person's problem since they can't follow rules, not the group's fault. Typically I draw the line where it becomes ridiculous and it makes no sense for the rule to exist, like for a quick example think about a ranked pack rp group now typically wolves don't even have pack ranks, but if you are playing with ranks there can be two betas in the pack, a male and a female, some people will say there is only one beta in a pack, that would typically be where I draw the line at for it being dumb since that is simply not true and it is kind of unfair.

So truthfully it depend on how it matches up with the rules and the group itself. But sadly some people like to debate everything and can not follow a simple rule because they don't like it and then they try arguing at why they are right and the group owner is wrong. I guess you kind of have to be a group owner from some game or social media site to understand this really and to be able to get how frustrating and stressful it can be when players can not follow simple rules just for the time being. It is just really annoying to be 100% honest and truthfully those people are immature if they want to argue about rules instead of just giving the group a try before they pass judgement. That is how I feel about groups with a lot of rules.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:40:46 pm by ShadowMT13 »

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 05:04:07 pm »
I myself like groups with some rules. It keeps everything sorted out and neat and that sorta soothes my OCD with such things. However if they get a bit too strict to the point they will kick you just for disrupting one little rule (intentional or not) it's a little harsh. And some rules really don't make sense at times or are generally just not needed. And I usually would want no part of something like that.

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 05:57:03 pm »
Most of them make no sense and are probably invented by control freaks.  Don't see the point of micromanaging every little thing myself.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 09:21:52 pm »
I myself like groups with some rules. It keeps everything sorted out and neat and that sorta soothes my OCD with such things. However if they get a bit too strict to the point they will kick you just for disrupting one little rule (intentional or not) it's a little harsh. And some rules really don't make sense at times or are generally just not needed. And I usually would want no part of something like that.
I can relate, I have OCD a bit too so a group that is not moderated right and does not have rules, does not really appeal to me.

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 09:22:49 pm »
Most of them make no sense and are probably invented by control freaks.  Don't see the point of micromanaging every little thing myself.
Welp please try to understand certain groups need rules and most of us are not just being control freaks by having a lot of rules, please realize this.

Offline turtlies

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • loves to lurk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 10:03:24 pm »
Personally, I like groups with stricter rules, though I perfectly understand why someone wouldn't. I guess it depends what the rules are---I'm not really a fan of extremely strict character creation rules that end up with every character looking alike, but when it comes to rules that help with keeping the peace and sticking to the lore of the group---yeah, that's cool with me. If the rules are just unnecessary or rude to people for no reason... then I don't waste my time with it.

I've had a lot of experiences in the past where I'll think, "oh, no need to make this a rule, I feel like its just common sense not to do that" and... tada, someone does it immediately. Whenever I have to make rules for something, they can sometimes end up being a bit lengthy, but I feel its better to prevent problems before they start.

he/him
bro what if i put my feralheart cave next to yours.. bro what if they only had one flattened bush mesh to lay on and we had to share... haha just kidding... unless...?

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 11:21:45 pm »
I agree with Torskite. I like strict rules when they're necessary, but what I hate the most is when groups have a strict literate rule. Posting in verbose paragraphs both in and out of character is tiring and time consuming. Kicking someone just because they make a mistake in their spelling or grammar isn't good group management. I hate to go this way but it's kinda discriminatory too. Not everyone is a conventional English native speaker.
I don't like character design rules ether. I understand the line between realistic and unrealistic but only allowing one type of marking or color takes out the fun of roleplaying, being creative.

Offline Hooli

• Used Napkin
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 67
  • uwu
    • hooiigans
    • xmanicz
    • k_tlyn99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 11:32:41 pm »
As someone who usually has a pretty long list of rules for role plays, I think that having strict rules isn't always a bad thing. As a lot of people said here, it keeps order and helps keep the RP stay true to itself. Without rules there would be some pretty messy groups..  Like Torskite said, a lot of times when you feel you won't need rules because it's common sense, someone will go and do the one thing you thought they wouldn't need a rule for.

I don't get why people think that RPs with strict rules are a bad thing, as really in my experience they're only strict because they want everyone to have a safe, friendly and good experience in the group.

in-game: hooli

Lucius

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 12:42:01 am »
Personally, I don't really care for groups with a lot of rules. I understand why some group administrators would want to implement them, but I rarely will ever join a group that has a whole list of strict rules to abide by. I think that it just makes the whole roleplay process so much more tedious than it has to be. Not to mention that I love to have my freedom in these things, so I naturally shy away from strict groups.

I think the only time I'd ever join a group with a list of strict rules would be if they were in place to maintain the lore of the universe that the roleplay is taking in. Otherwise, count me out.