Author Topic: Having Trouble Adding Item(s)  (Read 843 times)

Offline okuajub

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • I'm dad
    • HoneyBeeDrone
    • @Wherewolfolf
    • @Wherewolfwolf
    • View Profile
Having Trouble Adding Item(s)
« on: September 01, 2018, 02:40:57 am »
Hello! I'm a FH modding noob, and I was attempting to download a pack of Homestuck Horns to my items, but I can't seem to get them to appear. I've messed around in the Object maker, I've changed the CFG, I even created file folders for the items, but can't get them to show up in my items list with things like the antlers, twig, etc.

I have preset sync, if that changes anything. I also have the horns saved as objects.
Do you think you can help me? I'm using these horns: https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=21786.0
this is what is in the CFG: https://imgur.com/a/xUiQucZ
and this is what it looks like in the item folders I created: https://imgur.com/a/WDow7ea

I've scoured for tutorials that apply to my situation, but I can't find one in particular. This is kind of a last resort, but I'd rather like to have these!
|He/Him|Furry|Male|

"The single most important thing is to look yourself in the mirror, remind yourself of your infinite worth, and go out and make a fool of yourself." - Thomas Brush

Flurr

Re: Having Trouble Adding Item(s)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 12:28:38 pm »
Hi Sodefax!

Sometimes if the items do not appear, it's searching for a file that does not exist, or it is not in the right folder. There is no need for the object maker. The cfg file should stay how it is with the download. I would not think the preset sync would cause a problem, even know it's a pretty big file in FeralHeart. ^^ The horns should not go in the objects folder, they should go in the items folder along with your cfg. I cannot really try these out this moment, since I'm on a phone and I'm heading out soon. About the images, I'm not really sure, but I would think they are right. I think all you need to do is put the item in C: > FeralHeart > media > items. And put your cfg in there too! You can always show me the tutorial that you looked at, so I can make sure you did everything right :)

Hope this helps you! :D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 12:30:16 pm by Flurr »

Offline okuajub

• Forum Newcomer
  • I'm dad
    • HoneyBeeDrone
    • @Wherewolfolf
    • @Wherewolfwolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 03:02:19 pm »
Ah! I suppose I forgot the CFG. Are you saying that I should place the items cfg in the items folder ?
There was a tutorial in the .zip, but I followed it to pretty much a T and still it refused to work. As I am also not using a computer, I can't give you the exact way I was told, but I can give you the gist.

Copy+paste the meshes, textures, and material file in the .zip into the items folder(they didn't have folders when I pasted them in, so I created them later After my previous attemps)

Use notepad (i used notepad++) to change the cfg with the copyied text in the readme(provided in the .zip)

After I followed those instructions I still couldn't get them to work. So I guess I started to waste my time getting them to show up in the object maker. But I fooled around for more than an hour trying to get em' to work, unfortunately.

When I downloaded and unpacked their .zip the horns's textures and related items were all in a huge lump, not in seperating folders. Maybe I messed them up somehow by putting them in the folders later ? I'm pretty sure they're older items as well. So maybe the way feral heart's item system changed since the tutorial in the readme.

Haha, sorry for the huge blocks of text! I can also provide you the tutorial later when it's available.
|He/Him|Furry|Male|

"The single most important thing is to look yourself in the mirror, remind yourself of your infinite worth, and go out and make a fool of yourself." - Thomas Brush

Lucius

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 03:25:27 pm »
You shouldn't have to create a new items folder, the game should already have it by default. The path for it is: C:\FeralHeart\media\items.

The folder path in your screenshot looks okay. You mentioned having the antlers, twig, and other items showing in the game, but I don't see their respective folders in the screenshot. Where are the folders for those items located? As far as I'm aware, they should be in the C:\FeralHeart\media\items folder.

If you want to create folders for organization, you create them inside of the C:\FeralHeart\media\items folder, otherwise it won't work.

Edit: And no, the items.CFG stays in the C:\FeralHeart folder, don't move it anywhere else.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 03:31:26 pm by Lucius »

Offline okuajub

• Forum Newcomer
  • I'm dad
    • HoneyBeeDrone
    • @Wherewolfolf
    • @Wherewolfwolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 04:52:55 pm »
@ Lucius The folders for the pre-downloaded items are in the items folder. I probably should have clarified that I merely created folders for the horns, and placed them in the items folder that came with the game! Here's a screenshot of the items folder: https://i.imgur.com/sL7At8b.png
Thanks for clarifying about the cfg. by the way!

@ Flurr here's the tutorial in the readme:

Now if you wanna use them, follow the steps below:

1- Copy all meshes, .png textures, and the item materials.notepad file to FeralHeart/Media/Items.
If it asks to replace, click YES, or it won't work. >:I

2-Done that? Mmk. Now go to the main FeralHeart folder and find 'Items.cfg'. it's a notepad file.
Open it, scroll to the bottom and copy/paste the following:

[HomestuckHorns]
mesh=xaphhorns.mesh
material=homestuckhorns
bone=forehead
offset_f=0 2.2 1.5
rotation_f=230 0 0
offset_c=0 1.5 2
rotation_c=260 0 0

[HomestuckHorns2]
mesh=horns.mesh
material=homestuckhorns2
bone=forehead
offset_f=0 0.3 1.5
rotation_f=-5 0 0
offset_c=0 0.3 1.5
rotation_c=0 0 0

[HomestuckHorns3]
mesh=horns2.mesh
material=homestuckhorns3
bone=forehead
offset_f=0 0.2 -0.85
rotation_f=-5 180 0
offset_c=-0 1.2 -2.0
rotation_c=-30 180 0

[HomestuckHorns4]
mesh=ramhorns.mesh
material=homestuckhorns4
bone=forehead
offset_f=0 2.3 .5
rotation_f=180 180 0
offset_c=0 2.3 0
rotation_c=180 180 0

3- Save it, then go onto the game.

As I did say it seems this is an older item, and it just might not work as well as it used to :? I'm not sure, haha. Maybe I should just do a clean re-install and try again?

edit: here's what comes with the items when you download it: https://i.imgur.com/61sT3Os.png
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 05:00:07 pm by Sodefax »
|He/Him|Furry|Male|

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 05:18:14 pm »
You needn't create new folders for the items themselves, items go in as they are (texture, material, mesh). So, delete those new folders you created and re-install the items. ^_^
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 05:20:33 pm by Wolvie »
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline okuajub

• Forum Newcomer
  • I'm dad
    • HoneyBeeDrone
    • @Wherewolfolf
    • @Wherewolfwolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 05:29:35 pm »
Wow, I finally got it to work!
Turns out my need for neatness borked me in the end. Because of an extra empty line I put in the cfg. it was causing it to not read for the new items. A mod can go ahead and close the thread now.
At the very least I know how to install items now! Neat. Thanks for helping me Wolvie, Lucius, and Flurr!
|He/Him|Furry|Male|

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 07:14:21 pm »
For what it's worth.. You can edit the resources file to find the items subfolders, but most people don't bother.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"