Author Topic: Dodgy Ads  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Oddonelynx

• Tuesday is applesauce day, but I am also a Jovial Bobcat!(Not lynx)
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 110
  • Hyenas deserve less hate.
    • BOTOFan
    • channel/UC5lDa5s7GLRWQHoH70ne34Q
    • View Profile
Dodgy Ads
« on: May 14, 2020, 02:41:07 am »

On the front page, there's some dodgy ads..  :-\
Such as the "Robux Free" and if you're on mobile, you get a popup ad that covers your whole screen until you X out of it.  So what is up with these dodgy ads?

Art by QuietMacaroni

Offline sanrio

• Grumpy Overlord
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 108
    • kiyatii
    • View Profile
Re: Dodgy Ads
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 02:56:09 am »
I'm pretty sure this is the only way FeralHeart gets money since they don't want to take donations and stuff like that...? (Could be wrong on that part, but it's not like most members have any idea how the inside of FeralHeart works)
Sadly I don't think Raz or any staff have a say in what gets advertised.

Avatar by byambyy | Signature by rykerclawss

SpicyDirt

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 03:45:57 am »
As Dehvina said, the ads to provide the revenue needed to keep the servers up and running. There could even be a chance that they help to keep the website up too!

As for what gets advertised - often times it depends on what people search/do on their computer. I often times get advertisements for iRobot Kitty Litter Robots since I have done a lot of googling of those (I have a cat and she is a bit stinky!). If you play Roblox, that could be the reason on why you get ads for free robux and things like that. It is all done through Google AdSense where it takes your interests and gives you ads based on those so you're more likely to click on them! You can actually disable the "targeted ads" if you go into your browser settings, but who knows what you'd get then!

Offline Dark_heart

• Professional Razmirz's Cheese Stealer
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 83
  • -- Moving account --
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 05:48:49 am »
I agree with you - but I think there should be fewer of them. Ads are always annoying. It's not so bad on my computer because it works well and the ads don't appear on every new tab. But when I'm on the tablet, it's just a massacre. The ads are pouring out of the page, and there is one more factor that annoys me - my tablet is too slow to get what application I'm using (especially it crashes when someone writes to me). Anyway, I think that reducing the amount of ads everyone would like.
On new account Aiiokia

Offline Dentrimental

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 21
  • "Promise me we'll always be there for eachother."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 07:16:17 am »
The thing about ads is i always get these wierd farming or zoo games that i absolutely hate and never played before lmao
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Thank you for gracing me with your presence!

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 180
  • A wild floof has appeared!
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
    • VortexAlive is Rawrsome
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 07:36:23 pm »
From my knowledge of them, Ads work in a few ways. One way is targeted advertising where an ad service searches through your history and browsing habits and makes recommendations from that. Another way is if there's no history, to just serve totally random Ads. It's mostly up to the Ad provider's themselves what gets shown, unless it's really bad Ads.
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.