Author Topic: I need Critism? UPDATED  (Read 1638 times)

Offline cozyyote

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 19
  • owo what's this?
    • cozyyote
    • cozyyote
    • @cozyyote
    • View Profile
    • Telegram Art Channel
I need Critism? UPDATED
« on: October 18, 2015, 04:56:42 pm »

I just got a new graphics pad so I am trying to draw. x'D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DONE IN SAI

Aiko No.2

How is this? Every time I attempt shading all hell breaks loose so I just did a cartoony version of her.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 11:46:20 pm by Gwynneth »

Offline Neowulf

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Somewhere, in an alternate universe...
    • View Profile
Re: I need Critism?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 05:44:08 pm »
First thing, if you're using Gimp, for outlines I'd recommend turning on Smooth Stroke and use sizes in a range of 1.0 - 5.0. Second thing, if you aren't, turn on layers. It gets a whole lot easier if you use them.

As for anatomy, it's pretty good. The snout to forehead transition isn't amazing if you're going for realism, but if you're pursuing your own style then that's fine. The position of the ears and mane is kind of odd and the mane itself is pretty off itself, so I recommend trying to fix that a bit.

To help you more, I'll need some information on what you currently use n' stuff, because I'm going off the background as indication of "it's probably gimp."
I hope this helped.

Art gallery
[Find me in-game as Neowulf]

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 07:27:41 pm »
-cracks knuckles-

hmmm, first of all, the pen you used for the outline is too small. i'd recommend a size 2-3 pen for outlining; depending on the canvas size. the outline doesn't match the coloring ether. i'd refrain from using a completely black pen unless your character is black. i'd recommend coloring the outline a darker color than the base.

your anatomy is ok for a first try. the only thing that bothers me is the forehead; it is too big. a forehead on a fox is pretty high, but it's more of a circular shape. the rest is fine; i can see it's a fox. although, the ears are too small and the fur is too spiky + goes too much in one direction.

the coloring has some issues. the way you tried to add white to the character is flawed. never use a big blend brush for coloring, it has more of a use for making gradients. use small brushes for coloring the subject. how you tried to add detail to the fur is questionable. fur is never one or two colors. you used pure white on a red base too, which is too much of a distance in the color wheel. try to make colors match in a painting if you want to make detail. if realistic fur detail isn't your thing, you can try cell shading or soft shading.

i could also mention coloring without going over the lines. in your drawing, you seem to have colored over the lines. there is a way to help you not do that in an art program, but i only know how to do it in paint tool SAI, so i don't know if the method i use is compatible with other programs (though it should be similar). but just for convenience, the method is explained on this website under the coloring section. http://www.silver-islands.com/saitutorial

the very important priority of improvement is to practice, practice, practice!! practicing, studying anatomy, and never giving up will make your art much better. i would give examples using my art, but my old computer (where my old art is in) is being stubborn so i might show some later!

if you want some more tutorials, or want me to get more into detail on the things i went over, don't be afraid to ask me!

Offline shayy

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 73
  • World Class Shawty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 07:46:04 pm »
Well the first thing I notice is that what seems to be your fur texture, is a little to rough. I can tell you don't have any pen pressure with what you are using. Try finding an art program that works with your computer and drawing tablet so you can have pressure, it makes a HUGE difference in your drawing ability. Personally, I really like how this turned out. Your eyes are really nice and it shows that you have/are developing a style. Also your highlights are ver  nice and compliment your style.
pm for free art i need practice

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 08:45:06 pm »
OH SPEAKING OF PEN PRESSURE...

it does look like you have no pen pressure on your pen. it looks like you used GIMP, which im pretty sure supports pen pressure. you have to download the tablet driver to obtain pen pressure. if you are using a bamboo brand (most likely you are), you can go here to install the driver. http://www.wacom.com/en-us/support/product-support/drivers

Offline cozyyote

• Experienced Traveler
  • owo what's this?
    • cozyyote
    • cozyyote
    • @cozyyote
    • View Profile
    • Telegram Art Channel
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 10:46:36 pm »
I'm actually using SAI. And I just realized this is the one I did with the average mouse. I'm going to draw the same character and background with my graphics pad now, and I'll show you all that. :)

Offline cozyyote

• Experienced Traveler
  • owo what's this?
    • cozyyote
    • cozyyote
    • @cozyyote
    • View Profile
    • Telegram Art Channel
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 10:47:29 pm »
Also, SAI paint won't do pen pressure with my Huion Graphics Pad for some reason. xc