Author Topic: Real Feline Species Archive  (Read 6961 times)

SnapBanditWolf

Real Feline Species Archive
« on: December 07, 2011, 07:46:18 pm »
INTRODUCTION

Hello, my name is Snap and I'm an aspiring Zoologist (apparently?)
So not everyone can reach into their creativity box and produce a fire-breathing, six-winged demon-sheep character.
No worries, realistic animal characters are just as crazy and interesting as a rhinestone-coated marshmallow ferret.
I'm not sure where I'm getting these freaky animals from.
Anyway, welcome to the RFSA! Here to educate you! Because that's exactly what you want to do on the official website for a game!
I'm making it my mission to list as many real feline species and freaky (but real) hybrids as possible.

Hopefully you'll get some good character ideas, especially for more realistic roleplays!

If you have anything to add, or any questions, comment or send a message! I'm sorry but this will take a while to develop! >.<
I aim to add something new every week or so.

Code: [Select]
[b](Species name)[/b]
[i](latin name)[/i]
[IMG]Picture[/IMG]
[b]Description:[/b]
[b]Distinctive characteristics:[/b]
[b]Diet:[/b]
[b]Range and habitat:[/b]
[b]Behaviour:[/b]
[b]Reproduction:[/b]
[b]Interesting facts:[/b]
[b]See also:[/b]

Index
-A-W of cats
-Hybrids
-Coat variations, mutations, etc
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:24:18 pm by SnapBanditWolf »

SnapBanditWolf

Re: Real Feline Species Archive
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 06:56:57 pm »
A

African Lion
Note: There is no definitive African lion. There are several subspecies of lion in Africa. I'm lumping them all into one to keep it simple. Some subspecies
have stronger links with the Asiatic lion than other African lions. However it's easier to distinguish between African and Asiatic, so I'm doing it that way.

Panthera Leo

Conservation status:
Description: Their coats are usually gold, tawny or brown. Cubs have faint spots and these can sometimes be seen on adults. The eyes are golden. The male's mane
can range from blonde to black. It usually darkens with age (like their nose leather by the way, from pink to black) and is a sign of higher testosterone.
Distinctive characteristics: Mane and tufted tail are unique to lions. They are the tallest cat species, and the second biggest cat species.
Diet: Hunt mostly large ungulates (hoofed mammals), apex predators but not averse to scavenging.
Range and habitat: Open woodland, grassy plains, deserts. Found in southern and central Africa.
Behaviour: The only cat to live in social groups (prides). Groups are made up of up to three adult males, a dozen or so females, and their offspring.
Lionesses usually stay with their family for life, young males generally leave to establish or take over a pride for themselves (or some risk being a loner-Very dangerous!).
The females hunt while the males patrol and guard the territory. Lions, particularly females, enjoy bonding sessions by mutual grooming, rubbing and headbutting each other.
Lionesses share rearing and feeding the cubs. They will happily feed another's cub. The entire pride roars at night to warn off intruders.
Reproduction and life-cycle: Lions are capable hunters by two years, and most females will have had cubs by the time they are four.
 Lions can mate any time of the year. The female goes into heat for a few days, often closely guarded by the dominant male as they mate frequently while she is in heat
(although it's easily possible for the lioness to mate with more than one male during her season). Gestation lasts 110 days, the female will leave the pride
to find a safe den to give birth. The cubs are brought back to the pride at around six to eight weeks. Lions are fully mature at five years and may live to fifteen years.
Females generally live longer they have more support in the pride. Males often die younger from injuries inflicted in fights for dominance.
Interesting facts:
-White lions are not albinos, they are white with blue eyes. They have the leucistic or chinchilla gene, like a white tiger.
-There is a debateable number of subspecies: One of the more notable; Barbary Lion (P.l.leo), the largest subspecies of lion, extinct in the wild.
-Lions are capable of purring. They have a different structure in the back of their, it has stiffer cartilage than a domestic cat's in order to produce a roar, so their
'purr' sounds more like a cough.
Lions never roar in anger. They roar to mark their territory and warn off challenging males at night. An angry lion coughs loudly before he attacks.
See also: Asiatic Lion, Liger, Tigon, Leopon
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:29:21 pm by SnapBanditWolf »

SnapBanditWolf

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 06:57:04 pm »
B
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:16:43 pm by SnapBanditWolf »

SnapBanditWolf

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 06:58:25 pm »
C
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:16:29 pm by SnapBanditWolf »