Author Topic: Be right back!  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Warrior4ever

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • Muffins. Oh yes... I went there.
    • View Profile
Be right back!
« on: August 01, 2013, 04:20:00 am »
Recently it seems as though no matter what map or situation I'm in, be it a literate RolePlay or just hanging around an advertisement spot, the abbreviation 'Brb,' or ' Be right back' is now used as an action. I've seen countless members referring to an absent play like this;
"They're on brb." (They're be right back?)
"He/she's brb." (He/she's be right back?)
"They/he/she just went brb." (They/he/she just went be right back?)
And so on and so forth. It just annoys me often, how loosely the word is thrown about, and other words too. I'll admit that I've used it in such a way myself, before I actually stopped to think on the matter. So what are your opinions? Does it bother you at all, or do you do it yourself?

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
Re: Be right back!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 09:12:30 am »
It doesn't annoy me particularly. I use 'brb' when I tell the people I'm chilling with that I need to leave the computer for a minute or two. And simply typing 'brb' is much easier than typing the proper sentence 'be right back'. Sure it's not that much more effort, but it saves precious time, especially if you need to go and do something important.
However, I would be annoyed if someone used it in a roleplay, especially a literate one where you actually take the time to write out proper full sentences and not use abbreviations such as 'brb', 'g2g' or 'lol;.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline Warrior4ever

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • Muffins. Oh yes... I went there.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 02:00:11 pm »
I'm not saying that using the abreviation 'brb' is what annoys me, but the fact that most people then use it incorrectly to describe a member. Such as "They are 'be right back," now who would say that? Murh, this was just a small idea that popped into my head ::) ~end rant~

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 02:11:42 pm »
Oh! xD Sorry, I misunderstood. Yeah, it doesn't really make sense to say someone is "be right back". Grammatically, it makes no sense at all xD. It still doesn't annoy me that much...but now that I'm thinking about it does get on my nerves a little bit.  :D

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 02:33:25 pm »
What annoys me more really is when I see people come in game and immediately go on brb or afk... I admit I get annoyed when some of my friends here sign on to Skype and leave their characters afk the whole time... I think to myself why sign on to the first place? :P

But yeah as for the grammar and how people say that someone is on brb etc doesn't bother me much either.

Offline peete

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Pineapples...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 02:37:21 pm »
I have no problem with it either, but I guess it doesn't really make sense to say "He/she went brb." Like this whole time I never really understood the difference between AFK and BRB (Is there a difference? o.o) If someone is afk/brb, what would you tell the other person wondering where they are? "They had to go for a bit." I think it's just a way of players saying things in a quicker way and yet still make sense.
And I'm sure all of us are smart enough to not say, "They went be right back." in a full sentence XD

INACTIVE BECAUSE OF INTERNET ISSUES...

Offline Star12

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 02:53:54 pm »
I don't mind people saying 'They're on brb' or something like that. I guess I've just gotten used to it over time but I have never actually used it. When you think about it like that, you're right. It doesn't make sense. But I think most people say it without thinking about it, or out of force of habit. What really annoys me is when some people say something like 'iwbrbiarm' and you have no idea what it means, you ask them and they say something like 'I will be right back in a rolly mo', and everyone's like:

PS- Sorry if I went a bit off-topic there xD

Amazing art by JimMoriarty! Thank you so much! <3

SoulRevenge

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 03:01:02 pm »
I don't mind people using brb, even if it's done incorrectly. Like if they're on the game but using skype, their character being afk the entire time. Just means they want to communicate through a different, perhaps slightly more private chat that doesn't hold so much to me.

But the whole 'brb' when taken into grammatical consideration doesn't make sense. Now if you said 'They're afk' (away from keyboard) maybe that'd make more sense, but people saying 'They're be right back' doesn't bother me. Simply because 'brb' is a commonly used internet term for short-termed or long-termed (even if 'be right back' doesn't exactly mean a long absence) and a lot of people use it. It's grammatically incorrect, but it's easy to understand, you know?

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 03:10:31 pm »
I have no problem with it either, but I guess it doesn't really make sense to say "He/she went brb." Like this whole time I never really understood the difference between AFK and BRB (Is there a difference? o.o) If someone is afk/brb, what would you tell the other person wondering where they are? "They had to go for a bit." I think it's just a way of players saying things in a quicker way and yet still make sense.
And I'm sure all of us are smart enough to not say, "They went be right back." in a full sentence XD

What I would say is AFK is away from the keyboard, and brb is the same group afk is in only you still are on the computer, such as on the internet and stuff.

So anyway, I get your point actually. But what would be better is saying "They're on brb (they're on be right back)" as something better to describe their absences for a few minutes. (Is that the right word, absences?)
I'm pretty sure people know "they are brb" is not the right term most of the time.
Otherwise, I really don't know. At least I think that's your point, but it's not really that bothers me too much most of the time.
At least you can understand the person too, really.

Offline FlewToTheCity

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
  • Mother Wolf
    • FlewToTheCity2
    • comandoness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 08:22:14 am »
It doesn't particularly hate the shorting of words like 'Afk' and 'Brb' for example. Just when you put it in that way it sounds ridiculous. But when it comes to the 'text talk' its really, really annoying to me. I personally 'Hate' Text talking. But getting back on the subject it doesn't annoy me at all :3 Just how you put it. If somebody said .' Sorry, There Brb (Or AFK) at the moment.' That sounds alright cause it explain's there away or doing there own personal stuff for a bit before getting back to the game. But when they say it all like.' Sorry, There Be Right Back (Or Away From Keyboard) at the moment' That sounds weirded. Anyways, Thats all I have to say.

Avatar by Atrociious | Signature by Scottishy