Author Topic: A slight surge in evil and 'Bad guy' RolePlay?  (Read 3965 times)

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
Re: A slight surge in evil and 'Bad guy' RolePlay?
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 02:34:40 am »
I have notice that as well, but I believe it is just a phase.

A while ago, I noticed that pokemon where very common. And before that I noticed that it was warrior cats. Everything is popular at one point, then it dies down. It works this way in the real world, too.

I, myself, tend to prefer "darker" roleplays. Although they are hard to pull off, as mentioned before, they can be interesting and can have many different ending because the characters do not have a stable mind.

Why people are attracted to such an odd thing? I guess we will never know for sure, but we can guess.

In the real world, most people are good. We do exciting things in ours lives, but can only express our feeling to a certain degree.  We cannot commit these actions such as sacrifice, torture and so forth, without ruining the rest of our life. So, by writing about them, people can express their feelings without any harm done. You see?

I guess it could be just a break from the norm, and people could be realizing that there are many topics to roleplay about rather than just your average hero.
It could also simply be that people are copying others to fit in. But, alas, we will never truly know why there is such a sudden increase.

If people are planning to create darker roleplays, there is not much we can do about it, except educate them on the proper ways to go about doing so. (i.e not just about gore)

Does anyone else notice that it tends to be the younger players who are creating more of the "darker" roleplays?

If its the younger players doing it, I'm surprised. I think they need to get their definitions of what dark, aggressive, and evil mean straight.  Its pretty apparent that a lot of players, even some older ones, don't know the subtle differences between these things and consequently their "aggressive" characters become too over the top or their "evil" characters aren't really evil and just flat out suck.

I recall RPing with someone who when my character (who I've had in the past run into evil characters who were MUCH more intimidating) happened upon them, got frustrated with me because my character wouldn't cower in fear of them and refused to take them seriously. Then they proceeded to tell me how ruthlessly their character killed rabbits and-.....Back up a minute there. If you have to go OOC to tell me WHY your character is evil/scarey...you're probably doing it wrong. And bunnies? BUNNIES? Oh /please/.

I had a very dark RP with a number of evil characters  that was loosely based on a story I'm writing just to see if people liked the idea of it. I kept it among just a few close friends but they ended up liking the concept and it lasted about a year and it only ended because it actually got finished. (The RP in the Bridgeston City maps) So as others have said, if you can do it right and you can do it fair, it can add a great deal of interest.

But if you try to RP an evil character and you don't think you can make him seem threatening without winning all of the time, or you have to ASK someone to make their character frightened of yours...You're better off not RPing one at all.

Offline longjump

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
    • FhNature
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 02:44:14 am »
I don't play evil characters. I can't pull off scary. I'm not one of those people that can have a frightening character. I've met people In game who can RP an evil/insane character well enough I get CHILLS down my spine, and I REALLY wish I could do the same; but nah, I'll stick with my snarky character who calls everyone out on their cliche RP personalities and such.

'Glory drakes are radiant, friendly creatures, that sparkle in the sunlight'

Offline Warrior4ever

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • Muffins. Oh yes... I went there.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 03:47:53 am »

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 06:31:34 pm »
I recall RPing with someone who when my character (who I've had in the past run into evil characters who were MUCH more intimidating) happened upon them, got frustrated with me because my character wouldn't cower in fear of them and refused to take them seriously. Then they proceeded to tell me how ruthlessly their character killed rabbits and-.....Back up a minute there. If you have to go OOC to tell me WHY your character is evil/scarey...you're probably doing it wrong. And bunnies? BUNNIES? Oh /please/.

I nearly fell out of my chair laughing at that XD But yes, if pulled of correctly, Darker Rps will work, but most aren't pulled off right, and just plain flop around aimlessly :P

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline BlackLuna06

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 10:03:00 am »
What I've observed is that evil Rps are just that much more fun to do, if done well. There are opportunities for brawls, hunts, attacks, wars and torturing that do not come up in the usual ones as they are viewed as 'not-noble/brave/kind/selfless' (which some are, and irl I'm not actually going to come after someone with a sword, don't worry XD).

I find it slightly insulting that evil RPs have been given the lable 'filled with powerplayers' because this isn't true... I mean don't get me wrong they ARE out there and they ARE annoying as hell, but not ALL people are. I just... geez.

I know of evil Rps that will whisper the leader of a group to make sure they want to be 'attacked' and the 'evil' players will whisper others to ask if they can 'wound' or 'kill' the opposing 'good' side. It's not really a bad thing that evil RPs are on the rise, in my personal opinion, because they add to the IC drama, and make a night on FH more interesting. There is only so much you can do before you are longing for bad to come creeping in to make things interesting (unless really well plotted/variety of characters).

The only problem I can see is if there are more evil RPs than anything else, because then everything is the same and it's boring.