Author Topic: Adfly and why it's bad  (Read 6733 times)

Offline MissSugarPink

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • endlessly falling
    • View Profile
Adfly and why it's bad
« on: March 30, 2015, 06:48:17 pm »
yoo. so. I'm a returning member here for FH and I was about to download the game when the 'ADFLY' page popped up. I've seen only two threads discussing this and how it's safe, but it's really not. It has malicious malware set into some of the ads and popups, download links to bad viruses will come up even with Ad Blocker. Please help, I would like to enjoy the game again without getting malware and destroying my computer. Better yet, please change this, I understand Adfly gives money to those GM's at FH, but it's not worth giving people viruses. I already had a computer wrecked by Cryptolocker which was you guessed it, obtained by that site.

So I began to think, if people were rain I was a drizzle and she was a hurricane

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Adfly and why it's bad
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 07:04:06 pm »
I do feel adfly's a bit so-so in terms of security-- but a fair source of revenue for server costs. It's a bit worrying how many malicious adverts get through; most I've seen during my accidental clicks were explicit or a bit dubious in nature. Then again, the worst malware I've received was from deviantART; all sites have the potential to throw up dangerous advertisements, no matter how reputable they are! It's just the nature of the 'net.

It's definitely a legit site that's frequently used across many, many forums-- but it undeniably does have the potential to pose some security risks; it's very easy for something malicious to sneak by. Clicking on one of the adverts pretty much guarantees your computer's demise (or a link to a very dodgy survey), too! I'd rather there was a donation button, but that's just me!

I'd suggest either avoiding the links, or using some from of anti-script browser addon (I use ScriptSafe for Chrome) in conjunction with AdBlock when it's necessary to click on one. It's a frequently, oft-used war to generate money, but similar to all sites, not all advertisements are safe.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 07:08:31 pm by Crookfish~ »

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 07:05:29 pm »
Things like this won't harm your computer if you don't click on them. They also don't automatically appear on your computer without clicking on the so said possible virus. If you wait until the 'Skip Ad' button appears in the top right of the screen, then you won't have to worry about a thing. You can also try removing the characters in the URL bar before "http://" as that is what leads the to adfly itself. The URL after the adfly URL leads directly to where you want or need to go.

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline MissSugarPink

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • endlessly falling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 07:11:51 pm »
Ahhhh. Alright. Thank you!!

Also I tried to use Scriptsafe a long time ago, and that ended up crashing my browser. I fully agree with deviantart though, but thankfully they do not generate too many harmful 'download now' ads such as Adfly. As said previously, Cryptolocker is the worst thing you can get and it seems some ads or surveys forced onto you through this website will be coded into the HTML. Would you mind perhaps linking the end of the url for the direct download? I tried to copy the link and just remove the adfly part but it didn't seem to work for me. Thank you once again. I just wanted to bring this to the attention of the users and admins, although I do understand why it is being used it is very very dangerous, similar to that of playing Russian Roulette but with your computer.

So I began to think, if people were rain I was a drizzle and she was a hurricane

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 07:16:27 pm »
You can always download and install uTorrent then get the provided Torrent download in the Download section of the forum. This doesn't lead to any direct link, or adfly, but has the FHsetup ready for you for an instant and safer download.

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 07:22:55 pm »
adfly.com is a terrible website i know. all the ads are downloads to crapware or malicious software. i don't like it but it's the way it is. if you don't click on anything except for "skip ad" you won't get infected.

i think avast online security blocks the ad from showing so maybe you can try that.