Author Topic: Yet another height map problem. [Solved, grayscale issue.]  (Read 1087 times)

Offline EWSpirit

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • EWSpirit
    • EWSpirit
    • View Profile
Yet another height map problem. [Solved, grayscale issue.]
« on: July 04, 2016, 01:10:29 am »
I have posted a topic like this almost every time I have made a map. Anyways, I am trying to make a map, and after I finish my height map I go into map maker and it crashes. Here is what I have done:

-Made map in Paint Tool SAI and moved to to paint.net to make it greyscale.
-Turned it greyscale and made it a .png, also made sure it was 513x513. Image was also flattened.
-Saved it it Feralheart/Media/Terrains as HF2terrain.png
-Opened map maker, typed in the name and it crashes with the evil 'Feralheart.exe has stopped working' message.
-Renamed it to HFterrain.png
-Crashed again, and again, and again.

I should also add I have successfully made another map with SAI+Paint.net like this one, so I'm quite confused. 

I don't have GIMP. Any help is appreciated!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 03:12:13 am by EWSpirit »

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Yet another height map problem.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 02:05:29 am »
Have you tried removing the Alpha Channel Lock when creating the heightmap image?

Another thing I would suggest is to use Gimp, instead of SAI. It's important that the coloring is not just Grayscale, but the actual format is also in Grayscale. Some users have had issues with their heightmaps when creating them in SAI because there are some tools that SAI does not have (that can be essential for the heightmap) that Gimp does have.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 02:08:17 am by Warriorstrike »

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline EWSpirit

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • EWSpirit
    • EWSpirit
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another height map problem.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 03:11:52 am »
It turns out the file, like you said, was not in grayscale even though I had it set to that. Eh, it's fixed now. Thanks! :)

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Yet another height map problem. [Solved, grayscale issue.]
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 03:15:12 am »
No problem, I'm glad to hear that it was fixed. I'll lock this on up for you. c:

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.