Author Topic: Having a helpful Profile Description  (Read 2324 times)

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
Having a helpful Profile Description
« on: March 11, 2017, 02:30:04 pm »
Having a helpful Profile Description

I decided to place this here in the Imputbox as I best feel it fits here, as it holds a somewhat close enough suggestion to a personal/profile related change on the forum. I wasn't sure where to place this, as it is a topic related to the Froum, but is not quite designed as a discussion. I considered Miscellaneous tutorials, but this is not best fit as a tutorial either. I also did not feel it would fit in the Off Topic board or discussion, as that area is purely based on non-related FH subjects. However, with there being no suitable place/home for this thread, I hope it is welcomed here nevertheless for what it is.

!! Disclaimer !! In no way am I stating/saying that users should have/must have/must require this in their forum profile desriptions. Nor is this an imput of possible future change regarding the FeralHeart forum itself. This topic is purely a suggestion for those, and only those, who wish to use/place this (or something relatively similar) in their profile descriptions.

What is this thread about?

Some people may have done this already, and I'm aware and have seen this type of thing in use before. However, I am here to provide a much simpler and more "get to the point" alternative of helping new users that just might stumble across your profile. This might come in handy use to those who do a lot of handy/helpful work around the forum.

I have basically added this to my own profile as I have become vastly active around here again these past few days. I mainly have it there so users can read quickly and try to find something that will match their learning technique. For example; a user needs help making a map, but doesn't know where to go so they stumble on your profile for assistance. But wait, there's information on your profile that can help them already. Even better, this user has now found a whole huge handful of tutorials on various map making/map related tutorials that have inspired them to do greater things with their maps.

Free-to-use Example/Template.

Before you ask for help, please consider these Tutorials as they might contain just what you're looking for; Mapping Tutorials, Preset & Marking Tutorials, Modding & Meshing Tutorials, Miscellaneous. You might even find a few problems or questions that have already been answered in the Game & Forum Help boards. Need help finding your way around the FeralHeart v1.15 Maps? Take a look at this detailed Quick Map Finding Guide. However, if you have any further questions, or if you just want private help, you are welcome to send a Private Message. Don't hesitate to drop a Private Message/Inbox my way and greet me, or get to know me a little better. I'm happy to reply to all and any Messages.

If you need help with understanding the game and/or forum rules, or just wish to report something, you will only get an accurate responce from an active Member of Staff.

Please note/other Info.

The above template/example is what is currently in my Profile Desctription, but you are welcome to use and/or modify it however you want. It includes the key links on how to help a user in general. I am NOT saying that they are the only links you should post, but these are pretty much key links. I haven't added a link to the Staff Page, other than the once in the red text below the description. I personally didn't feel the need to link it up anywhere else, as the staff link is very obvious enough on the navigation bar ontop of the FeralHeart site, and has all the information in terms of Staff in there anyhow. As I said before, this is plainly a "get to the point" detail. I didn't want users to feel that they had to hold your hand or anything.

You may have noticed that I added a piece of red text at the end of my description. Reason being, Staff really do only have the accurate answers in terms of helping users understand the Game and Forum Rules, as well as accurate responces to reports. This is placed here purely because if a none-staff member were to provide the wrong information regarding efforts in helping a user understand the rules, it could effect that user's future in a not so pleasant way, so to speak. Providing the wrong information can have a heavy impact.

Anyhow, I hope this is helpful to you in anyway, feedback is welcomed. If you decide to create your own, let me know. I'd love to check it out on your profile.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:35:45 pm by Bawfle »

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
Re: Having a helpful Profile Description
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 03:18:38 pm »
First off, I agree with you on your placement of this thread.

I have seen several users with helpful resources in their profiles and have been meaning to get to doing it myself on my own profile. I think it's a fantastic, fast and simple way to direct some users to useful information they might not know about if they don't use the forums very much. It could also function as a way for users to familiarize themselves with the boards and what they should be posting where.

This gets me thinking of what links/boards I should have in my profile. Excellent topic!
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline Astraea

• ❤ Positivity ❤
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 186
  • previously esarosa
    • Esar0sa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 04:03:29 pm »
Oooo, great topic indeed! I think some users would find this very beneficial so they can grab easy links to tutorials.<3
Thanks fer creating this topic, I just might have to add some myself!
Thanks again! <3
not active here anymore ♡

Amara

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 09:40:20 pm »
Thank you so much for making this Buffy! It's so helpful and I'm sure many people will find it as such! ^^

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 01:37:19 pm »
I'm glad to see this is approved of. I'm sure it will come to use for those who want to give that little bit extra.

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone