Author Topic: Help: Crashes & Fixes  (Read 2598 times)

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 180
  • A wild floof has appeared!
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
    • VortexAlive is Rawrsome
Help: Crashes & Fixes
« on: July 12, 2017, 01:55:52 am »
I know there's a manual and a lot of documentation already and a lot of scattered threads that have solutions to crashes all over the place... but that's... all over the place! What if all these crashes and fixes were documented together into one thread in a sub-board of the help section as "Crashes & Fixes"?
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
Re: Help: Crashes & Fixes
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 04:08:16 pm »
I'm glad you mention this Vortex :)!

It's something we've known and discussed for a while but we never seem to get around to doing it given how busy we are with regular site/game events, patch stuff, etc.

Certain aspects of the manual we are waiting to update after we finish most patch work and we are also still waiting on some further site updates and maintainence before adding in a new manual.

I do think it's a good time for us to start outlining what we might want on the manual though. You and anyone else is free to leave suggestions for what you'd like to see in the future manual! :)

Thanks for your feedback. In due time we'll get to completing this project!

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 07:42:41 pm »
Thanks, Sura! It's good to know this is being thought of, I think it can help a lot of floofs in the long run. Good luck on the updates, events and planning, it is much appreciated!
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 152
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 07:49:17 pm »
I'm glad you mention this Vortex :)!

It's something we've known and discussed for a while but we never seem to get around to doing it given how busy we are with regular site/game events, patch stuff, etc.

Certain aspects of the manual we are waiting to update after we finish most patch work and we are also still waiting on some further site updates and maintainence before adding in a new manual.

I do think it's a good time for us to start outlining what we might want on the manual though. You and anyone else is free to leave suggestions for what you'd like to see in the future manual! :)

Thanks for your feedback. In due time we'll get to completing this project!

What I'd like to see in the future manual:
  • Change the outdated images with updated ones
  • Fixing any errors
  • Remove the "There are no translations available" note at the top of the pages
  • Add images/screenshots in the "Character Creator" pages
  • Add information/hyperlinks on how to make scrolling presets, etc in the "Preset Extra Info" page
  • Translation of the manual in other languages

Thanks for bringing up this topic, Vortex.
As for the "Crashes & Fixes" thread, I think it would be really useful to have one around - maybe even a FAQ thread.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:53:02 am by Valhayes »

Signature art by Kynvuu

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 01:34:02 am »
I've been meaning to comment on this for a couple days,
I think you're on the right track! We do need more organized documentation that's easy to browse through, easy to find and easy to link. Something that would help users find a thorough list of solutions for almost all of the common problems within the game.

However, rather than a child-board or sub board addition, which, in my opinion, would seem out of place in our current Help Boards, we should create a sticky thread in the Game Help board with a list of the different common crashes and fixes for those crashes. That or we could put the "Crashes and Fixes" thread directly in the Help Board where our BIG Help Thread is currently located. Either way, the crashes thread would be a replacement or expansion of this portion of the BIG Help Thread and could include different post replies for different types of graphical issues and their multiple different solutions for organized, clean separation of individual problems/issues.

There have been a few users, over the course of time after the 1.15 patch that have suggested an update to the Manual. As Sura mentioned, that is definitely something we are looking into updating. This might eliminate the need for any threads if we end up updating the manual. But, that isn't to say that we won't keep the current stickied help threads, much like the Big Help Thread or some other Help: Crashes and Fixes thread. It might be best to keep them along with an update to the manual for easy location for users who are familiar with looking in the Help board for solutions to their problems. A manual update and forum thread versions of the manual update sections for these fixes would be the most beneficial.

What I'd like to see in the future manual:
  • Change the outdated images with updated ones
  • Fixing any errors
  • Remove the "There are no translations available" note at the top of the page
  • Add images/screenshots in the "Character Creator" pages
  • Add information/hyperlinks on how to make scrolling presets, etc in the "Preset Extra Info" page
  • Translation of the manual in other languages
Thank you very much for the input, Valhayes. We will be sure to remember these.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:58:07 am by Morgra »
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 152
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 11:53:47 am »
I am glad to hear that, Morgra. Thanks for the response. +floof

Signature art by Kynvuu

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 06:58:45 pm »
Thanks for the input Valhayes, those all sound like great ideas!

Thanks for the response Morgra, been meaning to reply! Aye, That section of the manual was part of why I brought this up. I agree with you now that I think about it, that it would seem out of place the way I worded it and I think having a stickied thread that users can easily access alongside the manual would help a lot! I was thinking of something up front that floofs could look at to see if their problem happened before and could easily find the answer that fixed it.

As for an FAQ, I remember a thread about that a while back:
-I think that should be in a place where /new/ users who are just joining can easily find it, if I try to think like someone just joining, they'd see the home page, registration and installation pages first, sometimes not even going to the forum.
-I think it should outline the issues people most often run into when they first join, such as marshmallows and the void when updating.
-I don't think it needs to be so big that it could end up overwhelming and confusing instead.
-I think it should point out where to find key helpful threads, events and updates.

^^ Just adding to my input. :D