Author Topic: What is your "character making" level?  (Read 7121 times)

Offline angelre0702

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
  • Been here a while.
    • killingcve
    • View Profile
What is your "character making" level?
« on: October 22, 2014, 10:55:20 pm »
Alright, this is more of a self-based question. How high are your character making skills? Are they
the "prettiest" in the group, or do you really not care and they turn out looking like some wolfaboo.
This isn't to be rude, everyone's skills are different - But this isn't about the personality, more of
the F-H appearance.

The n00b(1)                              Somewhat effort(2)                              "I tried"(3)

You really don't give a              You half-heartedly work on your            Generally, you do care
paw about how your char.        character for a period of about             about how you and your
looks, and needless to              15 minutes, adding stray things           character looks but not
say it always turns out              that don't exactly picture what             enough to spend your
looking like a disfigured             you had in mind. Oh well, to Lag-         precious laptop seconds
monkey. You skim through         fire, let's go let's go!                            on it. You show up with
the body expansions and                                                                       your friends but don't
the other options, lazily                                                                          exactly.. Ah, "fit the
adding markings and colors                                                                    image". You casually add random
that do not go with                                                                                details, hoping
name or, at least, how you                                                                    you'll be good enough to
thought it would turn out.                                                                      do the job.

Average(4)                                                               Advanced(5)                                   

You are the one that                                                  Ha, these other ranks mean nothing         
does care about your                                                 to you! You're the one your friends       
character's image, and                                               are jeaous of- I mean, you actually       
you take a few minutes                                              spend hours on your character's           
to plan out the color                                                   appearance and base it's color scheme     
scheme. However, it's                                                on its personality, and you throw in       
appearance isn't all                                                    some MM3 to enhance the detail and       
that well-proportioned                                               to show of your amazing character           
and it doesn't fit in                                                     making skills. It takes time for you               
with the group. You're                                                to think up a fair character; you don't     
constantly making changes                                         just create it on the brink of discovery! 
to your character, giving                                                 
it adjustments and quickly                                               
changing the markings and                                               
even lightening the colors                                               
sometimes when it's in need.

Master (6)

Unlike the others, you have
and portray examplory effort
on your character, adding in
some professional looks and
holding in an amazing scheme.
The eyes seem to pop and give
it that look people don't seem
to find very often, and the
markings definitely make people
stare at your character for a
moment. They're very well planned
out and you always seem to have
that "extra" thing people are
silently looking for. People tend
to compliment your characters, as
even you think they're truly
amazing. You sometimes add in a
few items to enhance the character,
only in a witty way, of course.

These ratings weren't meant to be negative in any way. c: If you're a 1, it doesn't mean you're ignorant for your character, just need a lil' practice! (( I chose myself to be a 5. ))

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
Re: What is your "character making" level?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:38:36 pm »
I'm honestly not sure, but I guess I'd give myself a 4.5 to 5 rating. I have received multiple compliments about my characters, and I am quite satisfied with Turtle's design along with my other characters.

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 11:40:33 pm »
...I think I'm actually 4 or 5 in my opinion, since I have been complimented before on my characters. I guess I'd mainly leave the decision up to people who have seen my characters, though. ^_^ But I do know for sure I'm always picky about what he/she looks in-game, whether or not the image is completely different from the appearance online.

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 03:30:37 am »
Hm, interesting thing to think about. It's pretty different for all my characters; most are at an "advanced" level but I might have had one or two in the past at a "master" level
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Vask

• #2FAB4U
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
  • Chaotic Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 03:36:49 am »
Hmm very interesting topic here ^.^
I personally think I'd give myself a 4-5, maybe. When I first started I have to say my character design was horrendous. I had some lessons though from a certain floof. That of course really helped me have better design ideas. xP
Usually I think of a character days or maybe even weeks before I actually make it in Feral Heart. I'll spend some time going over their looks and color scheme to match their personalities or species. Probably sketch them a few times. I never really just randomly decide to make a character. I wouldn't really call myself 'advanced' or really super 'original'. I mostly keep my characters simple and what fits them. Of course I have my own rules I go by when I make a character. Just picky little things because I usually like it just right. Most of my characters are probably around 4.5 (give or take). And like many others I do have a few very special characters that personally I adore and would give them 5-5.5s. Of course the real rating would depend on those who have seen some of my other characters.

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 09:24:26 am »
Methinks I settle right there between 5-6.
Most of my characters, all except Creedance, have a semi-detailed preset I either commissioned someone to make or who someone made me as a gift (when I say someone, it's actually Wander-Bird via deviantART). I never really liked makin' my characters "mainstream" or like most other individual's character(s). I always thrive for a design that's relatively simple but hasn't been used before as far as I know. A majority of my characters are not even mortal, either bein' a custom-made species, like the Kruziik Nahlrii or Lutphen, or a creature who possesses immortal traits like The Puppeteer who's a poltergeist of sorts or Rauven who's older than sin itself but he still sports a young body. Really the only "normal" character I have is Creedance, but even his appearance is one-of-a-kind when it comes to the simple character creator and mass markings.
I will admit, I'm nitpicky as heck when it comes to a character's appearance. Granted I like leanin' towards the general semi-realistic scale, at times I'll spend 30 minutes to an hour tryin' to configure a character. Another thing to take note is none of my characters look the same and they all have different personalities to keep their company interestin'. In a way, I pour my heart into my characters once I make them original and decide to keep them. I scarcely just throw a character away less I have a reason to do so.

But keep in mind that every character is beautiful in the eyes of their creator. Some may praise their creations more highly than others but that never means their character(s) are better. While I personally give myself a 5-6 ratin', I'm sure I'll come across someone who may find my characters not as impressive as I perceive them or vice versa.
gone

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 06:11:39 pm »
I personally think I'd be either a very high 4 or a low 5. Depends on the character. I am extremely OCD about my charries, and lately I've been updating my Nevica preset like crazy.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Berrymutt

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • Huge Critical Role nerd
    • Berrymutt
    • berrymuttbb
    • Berrymutt
    • NickBerrymutt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 06:30:13 pm »
I honestly don't know what level I am on. I usually spend weeks making characters perfect and stuff. I usually get told how beautiful my characters are even tho I may not think so myself. Depending on the body I usually like a fairy slim and skinny character. I hate using the ''Wolf Tail'' and ''Wolf Ears'' for canines, they just look....too noobish and too triangular and big for me? I use ''Sharp Ears'' and either ''Thin Tail'' or ''Sickle Tail'' depending on the Character itself. I like fine nose lines on my Characters so I will adjust the nose bridge on my Characters. For Canines the cheeks need to be slim, but not too slim to notice there is no cheek bone what so ever. For Felines the chin needs to be the smallest possible. I know most ''Lions'' have a bit of a chin but in Feral Heart it seems very weird. Colors and Markings also depends on the Character Design I am going for.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:27:58 pm by Berrymutt »

Avatar made by Ziboe. Signature Made By DOG-BOWL On DeviantArt.
Discord: Berrymutt#0225
Twitch: Berrymutt
Download My Presets

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 09:38:14 pm »
Well, due to my recent FH character designs'n colors I've been thinkin' 'bout I would give myself a 5 out of 6. Most of my characters, nowadays, are quite complexed(excluding Wolfie, even though she's not a new addition). I've been sketching out ideas for several of my characters which will later(hopefully) become presets.
But, I know not if I will ever have the pleasure of a personal computer'n internet again. :c
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 10:57:04 pm »
A four or a five.

Why?

Because I don't really spend much time on making them and planning them out.

The max I've spent is.... Uhhh.... Forty minutes to an hour?

And the detail really varies, so most are more 'rushed'.

And I believe only one person has actually directly complimented a character of mine, so I hardly think people would be jealous of what little skill I have.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972