Author Topic: The 'Karma' Feature  (Read 9953 times)

CloudFish

Re: The 'Karma' Feature
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 03:24:14 am »
The problem with this suggestion that it's not possible to set up due to limited customization. Either it's opt in, or out for everyone.

And yet it is for Tigg? I don't think so necessarily. I can /see/ the karma option, but it seems to have stayed at a constant rate throughout the times she's been back. Always 0.

I think this may be like it is on other forums, where staff are allowed to alter the karma of users, and perhaps there's an 0 stuck in there that's meant to stay. So, maybe it is possible to alter, but with the amount of users, could be troublesome to do so?

Regardless of what's causing it, it seems possible based on this user's karma count. How is another thing.

And I somewhat agree on purpose by sock. Ego stroking. I think that's a good definition. Of course, it /could/ represent how helpful a user is and the like, how they're viewed, but likewise, has its negatives. Because the karma option can be used more for just biting people over things such as bad statements or opinions people don't agree on. It could be completely biased based on previous induced statements, or an opinion of a person.

Think there could be some other kind of system on a user's "helpfulness" but I've no suggestions to what it could be.

Regardless, I don't really care if it stays or goes.

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 06:53:31 am »
It doesn't change it being only an opt in or out option for the forum cloud. The reason I think why Tigg has 0 in karma is because they've "somewhat" glitched the karma counter by using administrative powers, so even if someone bites or nuzzles no changes will show. This is something done on their profile though and not really an option as any user can use nor something that can be done on everyone that wants it this way.

Also it's no wonder that if someone comes on the forum and point out how stupid all game rules are as they write rude posts and get back on the negative, and then want their karma reset/glitched. Though if someone would show clear signs on getting their karma abused even though they actually behave well and follow the rules, then of course we would try anything to sort this out for them. But these cases are nothing that show up too often.

If ego stroking is the case it honestly seems like it's the word itself "Karma" that is getting over peoples head. And in that case it should be changed to something else with less importance, and it's leaning towards that at this moment.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Toxikk

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
  • HoNk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 12:05:51 am »
Honestly, karma numbers shouldn't be taken personally unless you've done something rude, mocked someone, behaved inappropriately, or you were just plain mean.

Especially not if you feel like someone is purposely hitting bite.

It may be an old enemy, or someone that is jealous of you having so much karma. If it really begins to bother you and you are constantly being bitten for no reason, then you should contact a staff member. I highly recommend it, and I'm sure they will find out who does it and solve the problem for you. :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:08:41 am by Coony! »

Offline Abomine

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • I'm that weird chick who's obsessed with deer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 10:41:15 pm »
I rarely pay attention to the Karma Meter. I may give somebody a Nuzzle if I feel like they did something especially nice or helpful, but otherwise I don't even look at it.

I wouldn't really feel like my world was shattered if Karma stayed the same or was taken away, but I like Red's suggestion of simply changing the name. The word 'Karma' sounds way too serious for a trivial little feature on a game's forum website, and I can see why such a name would cause some problems.

@Coony!: You have Jungle Emperor Leo as your avatar! That alone deserves a Nuzzle. :3
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:44:36 pm by Abomine »

To Isengard! To Isengard!

My deviantART

Offline RawSyndicate

• Bagged Milk
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 57
  • OG Floofins
    • View Profile
    • DA: RawSyndicate
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 11:13:55 pm »
Hmm another suggestion that i may put out there is maybe if you absolutely had to "bite" someones karma, each time you do, a box pops up asking you why you did. Some people in the forums may not like that person because of very stupid and immature ways, so they bite them, which is pretty unacceptable. So this idea may minimize how much biting is going around. Although, for nuzzling, there will be no box that pops up.

Each time your submit the reason you "bit" the person, it would go to your inbox, from there, if it is a very stupid reason you could screenie it, and report it. This is only a suggestion, and it may cause many arguments between which ideas are stupid. This idea does take a lot of work also. Only a suggestion for you guyz.

(lol did you know that my last post got me a bite? <.< page 1. What did i do? nothing :3)
~Rawy

Offline Toxikk

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
  • HoNk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 02:37:33 am »
Nice idea, Raw. ^^
It just may work.
Yes, Abomine, yes I do.

SoulRevenge

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 11:58:24 pm »
Wow, so many replies, I thought this thread was done for after Red posted!
I'm also rather happy that the word 'Karma' has been changed to 'Floof-o-Meter'.
It's much cuter~</3 and it somewhat partially solves this problem!

@Raw
Your idea is brilliant! Though it may not be possible, due to customization options, which also prevents us from the whole 'One doesn't want it, doesn't get it. One wants it, gets it' idea.

(Weird title there Soul O3O)

Windpaw11121

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 09:47:15 pm »
I don't like the karma count that much, here's the reason; people abuse and randomly click bite to lower your karma on purpose. That's what pisses me off. I rather choose to remove the karma count so nobody can't get attacked.

Offline wolffox

• COOL MOM
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 188
  • icon by T0XIIIC, sig by Bawfle <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 11:35:45 pm »
Old and irrelevant post is old and irrelevant now that we have teh Floof-O-Meter. Lockingz.