Author Topic: Rant: Requests & Ungrateful People  (Read 11397 times)

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
Rant: Requests & Ungrateful People
« on: January 28, 2013, 05:52:02 pm »
I don't usually do alot of ranting or complaining in general but this month I've had enough. Several times between Nov of last year to this month I've had preset requests coming into my inbox. I don't mind preset requests at all because I love making presets especially for other users but what I do mind is unappreciative people asking me for a preset. What do I mean by this? I mean the kind of people that come to me and give me screenshots of a beautiful preset someone already made of their character and tell me to redo it because they hate it. This has happened to me a total of 5 times within just 3 months... and each time I have denied the individual. Often these individuals excuse for not using the other persons preset is something stupid like I don't like how the nose looks, or the pelt is to dark now and I decided I want it lighter, or it's my fursona and this preset looks nothing like it (mean while I look at her fursona reference and the preset and they look exactly alike). Each time the preset that was already made for the person is incredibly beautiful and full of detail and exactly matches their reference... so what's going on here?

My reason for getting upset over this is because these individuals will refuse to use an entire preset over one tiny invisible "flaw". These presets are literally small works of art that each preset maker puts their own time & effort into making just to make them happy and they're just going to waste it. Then these people have the nerve to ask me to redo the preset... why so you can ditch my design to maybe? Worst thing is that this doesn't just happen with presets around here it even happens with art requests... Just a few weeks ago I looked at the art request section and noticed a particular individual asking for a certain picture to be made for use as a signature... The artist returned them with a lovely copy of the reference and what did the person do? They never thanked the artist nor did they use the artist's picture in their signature but instead went on requesting the same picture be redone by someone else. -face paw- I mean REALLY! People how could you be so down right rude and ungrateful? Well it didn't end there the second person made this idividual their art and yet again the person didn't use that picture either and instead went to DA and created a post that explained how no one has made this picture as beautiful as they imagined so please make it for them. So they want a masterpiece made out of a really terrible reference? I'll be blunt but that person is lucky they got any kind of art for what they were giving people as a reference. If they want something better then they should do it themself. Same said for presets.
- Alot of artist charge money for things like this. Be grateful that someone is doing it for you for FREE!
- These things take time to make. (time that alot of us could be using doing better things...trust me)

~Done ranting

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Rant: Requests & Ungrateful People
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 06:24:37 pm »
I completely understand your pain; I've had similar issues with presets! It's very difficult to get things exact, and one often has to take minor artistic liberties to make the design work. If people are desperately after a preset and have a perfect vision of exactly what they want, they should perhaps consider learning how to create it themselves- as opposed to making someone work needlessly on a piece that'll inevitably be thrown aside. Appreciation and usage of artwork/presets is often all the artist asks for in thanks; it's beyond the boundaries of rude to even decline that gesture and haggle someone else to redo it! If they're a paying commissioner, it's a different story entirely, but freebies?

I've started to only accept complex requests from friends- people I know who will appreciate the preset and use it for many, many months; there's no point in putting 5+ hours of work into something that'd be brushed off in an instant by a randomer who, knowingly or unknowingly, stomps all over an artist's feelings with their blatant dismissal of other's work. It's selfish- and extremely rude; presets often take just as long- or longer- than a painting. :(

I can understand wanting a change after many, many months- but declining a piece entirely because of a minor flaw-...? I sincerely hope they don't say it flat-out to the artist's face.

/rant

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 07:37:18 pm »
I don't mind preset requests at all because I love making presets especially for other users but what I do mind is unappreciative people asking me for a preset. What do I mean by this? I mean the kind of people that come to me and give me screenshots of a beautiful preset someone already made of their character and tell me to redo it because they hate it.

This is just down right disgusting! It is selfish, deceitful and just plain rude! I can't believe people have actually done this. Actually I can. There are some nasty people out there. I just don't get why a person would do that. You've asked for someone to do something for you, a kind and generous person has taken up the offer and you reward them by going behind their back to someone else saying you hate what they've done? Their work that they put their own time and effort into? Absolutely sickening!

Want something doing? You know what, do it yourself! That way it is only you that can be blamed for disappointment and not a kind and honest soul that works hard on presets and art.

I have taken preset requests for people before, and now I'm paranoid that these people have gone behind my back to another preset maker saying stuff like "Oh she didn't do this right," or "I hate how she did this bit." It makes me kinda sad and, for me anyway, damages one's pride - I wouldn't want to do anything like this for anyone again if I knew this had happened to me.

People, it really does not take much to say 'thank you', or to be honest with someone and tell them politely that you didn't like their approach on the subject matter. Seriously, it won't kill you! That way you don't hurt anybody's feelings, and perhaps you and the person making your preset/art would be able to fix whatever isn't quite right. Communication is key in this matter, and a bit of decency.

God... -_-

Okay, that's my rant over too xD

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 10:34:46 pm »
Poor Sura :(

This is one of the reasons I NEVER take requests, whether it be for a preset, map, or something else. Another reason is because... well you're right... it takes up alot of the artist's time. And time is something I really don't have much of. I do agree, preset making isn't an easy job. It wasn't easy for me making my first preset. In fact, it took me several tries and touch-ups to get it right.

I like how you do preset requests for those who don't have access to the right software, or don't have the skills to make one. I DON'T like it when people take advantage of those who do the work, or are ungrateful for the hard work the artist does.
Inactive

Offline katyekitty

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • The Savvy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 10:45:36 pm »
You make an excellant point, Lord Sura!!!! Hopefully one of these inappreciative individuals will read this post and realize what they're doing really isn't cool.

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 11:18:02 pm »
Well, unlike some others... I am very appreciative of other's hard work... Even though I don't ask for people to make me stuff, I still understand that it took a lot of work to make it. Even if they didn't work that hard, I am still very glad about it. ^^
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline Slydragon99

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 30
  • am dead
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 11:26:06 pm »
I have had to deal with certain things like this. I have seen people who bug for the presets like "When is it going to be done? It's taking forever!" and "I am requesting this preset because I have asked a number of people and they are just taking forever." I think that if the preset maker actually took the time to even CONSIDER making your preset, you need to be grateful. I know what it is like to have many preset requests, and it is just not fair that people complain about how long they are taking.

Good rant Sura. This might get through to some people, making a difference.

art by dearhunters on da

Offline Kastilla

• Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 11:28:49 pm »
Maybe this could be stickied? 

Just a thought...

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 09:36:14 pm »
Maybe this could be stickied? 

Just a thought...

I don't think they'd make this sticky, it's not really something that's desperately important.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline Kastilla

• Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 10:02:32 pm »
Oh, well there's my idea out the window.