Author Topic: Is "Literate" the right term to use? [Just an OPINION, open minds appreciated]  (Read 8109 times)

Offline LogicalNonsense101

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Join the force O.O
    • View Profile
QUOTE(s) OF THE WEEK:
-Dear Math, please grow up and solve your own problems I'm tired of solving them for you.
~ Anonymous

- The broccoli says 'I look like a small tree', the mushroom says 'I look like an umbrella', the walnut says 'I look like a brain', and the banana says 'Can we please change the subject?'
~ Anonymous

Offline Skaara

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
I can see where your coming from and to be honest I agree with you that the terms used in RP ad's should be different, though what would be better I honestly can't say.

When I first joined up and heard the terms literate and illiterate being used I was more that a little confused, after all how could an illiterate person RP at all if they can't read or write? And on that note, it makes all of us literate even if we RP with chat speak or U instead of you. I also find it confusing to figure out what 'literacy' I fall under and I'm sure other people have the same trouble.

From what I can figure out this is what people generally mean with their ads, feel free to correct me on these:

Literate: Anything from three whole sentences up, it can also mean that they use 'wolfspeak' (which I find even more confusing >.<)

Semi-Literate seems to be anytime from whole, proper sentences to things like -eats zebra-

Illiterate I don't understand at all as I've never been apart of a group labeled as such, I image they use text/chat speak or one to two word replies without proper sentences.

I seem to flounder between Semi-literate and literate but when joining a group its pretty hit and miss since everyone's definitions vary so greatly. Some better thought out terms could give potential role-players a better idea of what the group is like and could lead to less miss-labeling of groups in advertisements but the bottom line is would new terms even catch on at this stage?

• Curious Wanderer
  • Join the force O.O
    • View Profile
First off: I can agree with your statement of the ongoing confusion many online users have with the perplexing question of 'where do they fall under literacy terms and such...' It can ultimately end as the cause to hurt some innocent user's esteem if they join a group that can be a little overwhelming in vocabulary around a 10th grade level!

Secondly: Overall, people can sometimes not make themselves clear on what they are looking for when searching for members, another reason why I secludedly favor "RP Samples" so they can know before the act on who is trying to join the group, it keeps feelings from getting hurt by those who find it fun to bully someone and judge them by there amount of education. After all, they most likely do not know the user's grade level in school.

Third: Yes, you did get the basic definition of the "Latter of Literacy" as I like to call it. X3

And furthermore: I must agree with you 100% on the many varieties of descriptions on how literacy should be, trust me. People at colleage levels can stake the bar at a somewhat Shakespearean level of grammar, which most to none of the players online can achieve, unless you happen to want near perfection. :I By the way, thank you for commenting. I value your opinion greatly! :)
QUOTE(s) OF THE WEEK:
-Dear Math, please grow up and solve your own problems I'm tired of solving them for you.
~ Anonymous

- The broccoli says 'I look like a small tree', the mushroom says 'I look like an umbrella', the walnut says 'I look like a brain', and the banana says 'Can we please change the subject?'
~ Anonymous

Offline Killian

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Something smart and mysterious.
    • View Profile
I think these terms have really drawn a line between players, literates can sometimes be snobby and look down their nose at players that aren't as skilled as them. But then illiterates tend to be more open and will role play with any one.

But there aren't just two kinds of players in FH, what about the people like me who are in the middle? I can spell but I'm not a great role player? I have been removed from groups for not doing as well as the others.

I don't like these terms, because they don't mean what they actually mean when used in role play advertisements.

People can have whoever they want in their groups, they don't HAVE to give people a chance if they want someone better in their role plays, they just don't need to be snobs about it.

Offline DawnOfAscension

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
You know, I agree with you. I mean, the naming of the people literate, semi-literate, and illiterate is quite kiddish. I know I used to be highly "illiterate", and, when I went to join other groups and stuff that were literate, they wouldn't let me join. I understand that you may want someone more literate to join, but, maybe some illiterate people should join, so they can become better roleplayers and make the world of FH better.

And, I think, instead of calling it literate, semi-literate, and illiterate.. Why don't we go by advanced..? I mean, some of the more advanced RPers tend to be what one would call.. Literate, but, it only makes sense to go by something else. Advanced roleplayers can be the ones who have RPed for longer, and, have more experience than others. Semi-advanced roleplayers can be the ones who have some experience in RPing, and then.. You can have your unadvanced RPers, being the ones who have the lesser experience, but, that doesn't put them out from the rest.

And, if you were kind enough to, you could always help people become more advanced in their RP skills. I mean, that's half of the problem. No one is helping our 'illiterate' Rpers, and, that's why many of the RPs are discriminating against them. I say, we help them out. Let a few into a higher RP and help them out. That's what someone who was kind enough did for me, and it ended up helping my RP skills a bunch.

I just tossed out ideas, and went of topic, in a way.. But, we should probably get rid of the terms 'literate' and 'semi-literate' and then 'illiterate'. I mean, if we're RPers, we obviously know how to read and write.. Okay, maybe type, but, you get the point. We need a different term for this, because it's pretty bogus that we're using a incorrect term for something.

Just my opinion!

Offline Ex0rcist

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
  • Slow Ex0 is slow
    • View Profile
Good for you for standing up for yourself as well as for the others. c: I agree with you 100% with your reasonings. I even dealt with the situation a few days ago where my friend was asking me, "Have you ever thought what literacy actually means in Feralheart?" It took a while for me, but my parents said that there was only one true definition to it, and that is what you have showed us Logical.

I have an understanding that most users who use the term "literate" or "illiterate" think that they mean something truly different when in-game. Such as:

Literate: Being able to use correct grammar as well as using para-style roleplaying. Lacks using incorrect terms as well as false spelling, and always posting in 3rd Person Limited.

Semi-Literate: Being able to use grammar, may have some mistakes. Para-style roleplaying gets cut down, and partially sleazy in structure.

Illiterate: Always using wrong terms and false spelling, making posts that don't make sense often. Uses partial txt speak, as well as an abundance of action symbols (*), (-),(~).

This is how I picture their definition in-game, as well as others perhaps. But reading the opinions listed before me made me realize that maybe it would be time to use a different term, as to not offend fellow floofs. As what Skaara has said, everyone in the game has some sense of literacy, whether it be using txt speak all the time, or wolf speak. Not everyone is perfect, so cut them some slack by cutting loose the term "literacy".

When I first joined Feralheart a year ago, I was one of those who roleplayers using the action (-) symbols as well as one sentenced posts... I checked up with a group I wanted to join, and they asked me for an RP sample, so I gave them one. A few minutes later, they said that until I know how to roleplay the correct way, I will not be accepted. They also said that when I learn how to post, I could ask to join again.

I can tell you how depressed I got, or embarrassed for my actions. I didn't even respond to them. See what things like that can do? I'd hate for the same to happen to fellow floofs, to be turned down from a group and being called an "illiterate".

At least players are putting an effort into what they post, and that is good enough ey? Why not help them become the better RPers you want them to be? I think it is time for a new word... Words or phrases such as:

To replace the term Literate:

Grammatically correct
ie. [insert RPG name here], a long term, mapless, grammatically correct styled group open and accepting.
Advanced
ie. [insert RPG name here], a long term, sited, and mapless group using advanced styled roleplaying, open and accepting.

To replace the term Semi-Literate:

Neutral
ie. [insert RPG name here], a long term, mapless, soon-to-be-sited, neutral styled group open and accepting.
Loose
ie. [insert RPG name here], a long term, mapped, sited group accepting loose styled roleplaying.

To replace the term Illiterate:

Grammatically Incorrect
ie. He / She is being grammatically incorrect when typing.

That is all I have to offer. I know there may be more words or phrases to use to replace "literate" and "illiterate". But these are my only thoughts as of now. Great work for starting a discussion about this, LogicalNonsense. I know you could make a difference for the well-being of fellow floofs who have the trouble being called "illiterates". c:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 01:47:33 pm by .exe »

In-Game User: ex0rcist

Offline Warrior4ever

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • Muffins. Oh yes... I went there.
    • View Profile
It's an easier word to describe a RolePlay style, simple as that. Except that most styles are different from the actual definition of Literate, so it can get pretty confusing. Especially now with the removal of general chat, it takes quite a bit of chat to actually describe a group's RP style, such as 'Grammatically correct and literate RP posts, without text speak.' All of that could just be placed as Literate in an advertisement, and better explained to group members once they join/whisper/or confront the group.

• Curious Wanderer
  • Join the force O.O
    • View Profile
Again, thank you all for you opinions on this advancing problem, and for you .exe for your dedication to conjure up more appropriate terms. I at first thought I was the only one who believed this was wrong, thank you all for providing your bold opinions.

Sorry this is so short, I just generally want to appreciate all of your responses. :)
QUOTE(s) OF THE WEEK:
~ Anonymous

~ Anonymous

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
In my opinion, I do not like to use the term "literate" to describe an role-play style, person, or group. Technically, if you can read, write, and know what is coming out of your mouth or put on paper, then, literacy is yours. I role-play out of Feral Heart as well, and if I went around on other platforms advertising a "literate role-play only," people would most likely look at me like an idiot.

And I agree with Exe to use "advanced, neutral," I believe that is far better to say than "literate" or "illiterate." Also, in a way, I think it's rude to call someone "illiterate" or judge them based on the terminology they may use. Though some people may have a high vocabulary, it gives no right for insulting another person for their intelligence. More likely, this would be a factor of why some people portray advanced role-players as such. Instead, why not give constructive criticism and allow the person a chance to improve, if they like.

Referring to Nathan, you seem to be right. Most advanced people can be skeptical and it shouldn't be that way. It leaves a closed atmosphere and in a sense, isolates the advanced players from the new and current players. We are all here to rp with one another, learn, create, and meet new friends. Above all, have fun.

Why not share the fun while helping each other along?

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:38:10 pm by FoxPhilosopher »
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
You want honesty? Well honestly... I agree with what you're thinking here. Here's what I think. It's hard for me to decide whether the term "literate" is the right word to describe the way someone types out a roleplay post. After reading those definitions, I can see where people come up with labling others as being "literate" or "illiterate". As I've always said before, illiterate people wouldn't even be playing this game, since illiteracy has to do with people not being able to read, write, or type. But often times people use those terms to describe a person's style of roleplaying, as the others above said. I DON'T like to lable people as being "literate" or "illiterate" really. As long as I can understand what they are typing, I won't turn them down in a roleplay.

What I often times don't understand is how people would lable someone illiterate for posting such short roleplay posts. They call them illiterate even if the person used proper punctuations, grammar, spelling, etc. That's when I think the term "illiterate" is being misused and abused.
Inactive