Author Topic: Removing the shoutbox  (Read 9320 times)

Offline partyboy

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Removing the shoutbox
« on: July 04, 2011, 05:42:43 am »
To some, the shoutbox is a useful tool to ask for help....but it clearly says you cant ask for help on it so y do people always continue to ask for help? Maybe to solve that problem the Feral Heart admins and moderators should take the shoutbox off of the home page and instead of the shoutbox being there they could replace it with more useful information like thoughts for the next big patch, or maybe a notification box on really important items like when they are going to take down the game or servers for maintenance....but that is just my opinion on the matter.  Please tell me your opinions or thoughts on the matter but please keep language down to a pg-13 level so we dont anger the admins and mods of the site and game.

Thank you and have a nice day,
partyboy
~Live each day to its fullest...for you never know when your last moment on this world will be...~

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
Re: Removing the shoutbox
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 06:52:57 am »
There has actually already been thoughts about removing the shoutbox completely already.

The reason why the text was added telling people not to ask for help, is because it's a part of the site that's hard to keep track on, new users is constantly asking for help there since it's the first thing they see and don't want to look further, but usually never get any help at all. We do have a forum help section for a reason.

The reason why the shoutbox is still there is so people can use it to be social and actually give out shoutouts. If people don't even want to have a shoutbox there I think we'd be able to remove it without any bigger problems.

Not too sure we'd need a notification box or similar on the main page though since we already have a row ontop of the forum index.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Toxikk

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
  • HoNk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 03:23:53 am »
Honestly, I never use it..
So I wouldn't mind it there or not.

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 03:49:40 am »
  I have used it before but as I can't use the box to log in anymore I can't, but I don't think it should be removed just because people ask for help there.

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

-Chase-

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 02:16:56 pm »
I know Im not well known here and such so my opinion doesnt mean as much as it could XD

But.... ya now when stuff happens... like big stuff... example: the plains crashing. People dont want to "waste" time making a topic, so they just go to the shoutbox and ask if anyone else is having the problem.. and its a nice place to chat when the servers are down 8D but I do have to tell people allllll the time not to use it for help... even though it says DO NOT USE SHOUTBOX FOR HELP in all caps... bold.. red letters... -_-

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 02:34:31 pm »
 I actually don't remember those big red letters being there the last time I was there at the chatbox... Must have been a more recent addition... Or I'm blind... Which I am so it could actually just be that XD

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 10:17:01 pm »
It was in fact added just around a week ago tops, so I'm happy to tell you aren't blind.

The main reason why the text is there is because members/new members of this community that hasn't even played the game yet ask for help there since it's pretty much the first thing you see. It can be anything from how to get the game, how to fix graphic errors, how to make maps or presets etc. All sorts of things.

The shoutbox part of the forum is something that's rather difficult to moderate 24/7, doesn't really matter who's on. Not even the regulars of the site check there all too often. I have tried to check up on that place fairly often, and even if I just go there to aid someone, or when I start the web browser, I always see people in need of help, And 8 out of 10 cases, they never get any.

This is why the big text has been added next to the shoutbox so people "should" see where to go with their problems regarding the game. The main reason isn't really because people can spam easy and almost obvious questions for some of us, it's actually so we will be able to see that they need help and they will get replies regarding whatever issue they might be having by re-directing them to the help part of the forum.

Even if mods aren't around, some in the community here gladly answers some help threads every now and then.

The shoutbox is more like a problembox. xd
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Toxikk

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
  • HoNk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 06:17:48 pm »
If it's such a big issue, I wouldn't mind the removal of it.

Offline Frostpaw860

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • Professional Dork
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 05:47:36 pm »
I barely ever use it, so I wouldn't mind if it was removed.

.|.For The Team.|.
.::Only active on the Forums::.

Offline wolffox

• COOL MOM
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 188
  • icon by T0XIIIC, sig by Bawfle <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 06:14:21 pm »
I think the shoutbox is useful for the newest members of our community to get to know other members, and be directed to the proper places, especially if they don't understand how to use the forum just yet. I vote that it stays, though maybe a small list of "Shoutbox Rules" next to it wouldn't be a bad idea. Whenever I have the time I do go and redirect users to the Help Section of the forum, so honestly I think the Shoutbox is useful. :3