Author Topic: GIMP Help  (Read 2840 times)

allielllow

GIMP Help
« on: August 06, 2012, 08:14:03 pm »
I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I desperately need help with making maps using GIMP. I just downloaded GIMP today and have followed all of the instructions for it. I have a Mac computer version 10.8.6 so I got xQuartz version 2.7.2 like it said to do. But whenever I try to open GIMP, it still won't load no matter how long I wait. I've had it loading for an hour and it's still not working. Please help! I've done everything I know of and have ran out of ideas.

Offline littlepinksprite

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
    • View Profile
Re: GIMP Help
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 09:35:20 pm »
I can't give a solution to this, but I do have something on the subject. First of all, if your assumption was that you can only create heightmaps in gimp, this is not true. You can use greyscale in average old Microsoft paint, but what you can not do is blur colours for smooth transitions. Gimp for me usually comes up slowly and says "not responding" before it finally realizes it is actually functional, and comes up fine. Your computer may just not be able to run it. Can you say at what point of the loading it freezes? Have you tried re-installing it?

allielllow

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 09:37:37 pm »
I'm not exactly sure when it freezes and I've tried reinstalling it millions of times. And Microsoft Paint isn't working either which really stinks.

Offline littlepinksprite

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 09:42:46 pm »
Does Microsoft paint not even open for you? If it is a more specific problem I can help you identify the issue. Because you have a mac though, you might want to try out other programs you might have on your computer. Do you have paintbrush?

allielllow

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 10:15:47 pm »
I just downloaded paintbrush and it seems to be working :)

Offline littlepinksprite

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 10:44:40 pm »
Good. But because I haven't used it myself, I can't tel you how to change dimensions/colour settings. I hope you are able to figure those out well enough on your own.

allielllow

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 10:49:08 pm »
It's pretty simple. And thanks for your help!

allielllow

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 12:10:53 am »
Now I have another issue. When I try to load my terrain, FeralHeart freezes.

Offline Cecilia~

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 20
  • wwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 12:13:51 am »
Is the picture set to grayscale, not RGB?
i dont know anything ever at any time

Offline littlepinksprite

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 12:17:07 am »
It will have frozen for one of these three reasons: itsn't grayscale, the dimensions are incorrect, or the alpha channel is on.

I don't think it will freeze, but it might not accept your entry if: it isn't case sensitive, you included spaces, you left out or included the file extension.