Author Topic: How to change your ear feather colour. (UPDATED)  (Read 4862 times)

Offline Phatom

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • Dorian the personal floof.
    • View Profile
    • Zinci on deviantART.
How to change your ear feather colour. (UPDATED)
« on: August 13, 2013, 02:37:04 pm »
Hey floofs! :D

I was wondering through the FeralHeart forums and I found my old 'How to change your ear feather colour'. I have to admit, it was pretty useless and.. Terrible with giving instructions so. I'm going to show you an updated version of it, it's going to have screenies so it'll be easier for you to understand. If you have any questions about it, feel free to PM me about it and I'll help you out as much as possible. For this tutorial you'll need Ringo and Delay's Item Pack, you can find it here:
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Ringo-and-Delay-s-Item-Pack-285841199
Although you will be the only person who'll be able to see the colours of your feathers unless you upload screenshots and show people!

1. Ok, now to start off! Go to your item folder which you can find by going to your Local disk, then click onto the FeralHeart folder then go into Media and then you can find items. Open the items folder and find the image file 'Feather_03':

2. Secondly, open that image into any program you wish to use. I use FireAlpaca but I've been able to do this on Gimp and Photoshop. If anyone can do this on any other program, you may note it below into the comments! So right this is what it should look like:

3. Now! Getting to the main point, create another layer. Name this layer 'Color/Colour' so you don't get confused which layer you may be going over your feather, make sure this layer is above the image layer. Set this layer to 'Overlay' you can do this by going to the drop down menu above your layers, click on it then click on overlay:

4. Now for the fun bit! Pick any colour you want, I'm going for a light pale blue so it goes with my fursona Dorian's eye colour. You can have the feathers two different colours, just colour over the separate feathers with two different colours. Now, colour over it, it doesn't matter if you go over. I think on Gimp it doesn't let you go over:

5. Ok, now for one of the last things to do! Get your magic wand tool, click on the paint around the feather. Then press delete, then it shall disappear! If you have Gimp and there's no paint around it, it's fine!

6. Now for the last bit! Time to save it and replace it. Click on 'Save as' and go back to your item folder which you can find by going to your Local disk, then click onto the FeralHeart folder then go into Media and then you can find items. Click save, it will then say "Feather_03.png already exists. Do you want to replace it?" Click yes, then tah-dah! Open up your FH, go to your character and there! You should have a different coloured feather. Below there's a picture of Dorian with an old set of colours I did, if you wish to change your colours. Keep the original 'Feather_03' file and colour it then replace it!

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and I hope it's better than my last derpy one. I'd appreciate some feedback if possible, somewhat like a critique but any comment is fine! I just hope this is useful for people and they enjoy their new coloured feathers. You can even post screenshots of your feathers being different colours, enjoy floofs!
 ;D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 05:59:58 pm by Phatom »

Image by cakeindafridge on dA.
My dA - http://zinci.deviantart.com/

Offline meeeea

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
    • View Profile
Re: How to change your ear feather colour. (UPDATED)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 03:56:21 pm »
Finally! Yes, someone uploaded this! I already made my ear-feathers blue with the lasso and colorize tool in GIMP hehe. Great job on the tutorial, tho! +Floof.

Offline Phatom

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • Dorian the personal floof.
    • View Profile
    • Zinci on deviantART.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 04:01:55 pm »
Finally! Yes, someone uploaded this! I already made my ear-feathers blue with the lasso and colorize tool in GIMP hehe. Great job on the tutorial, tho! +Floof.
Thank you floof! I just needed to update it, because it was like six sentences and wasn't very helpful whatsoever. I love changing my ear feather colours, I even had the privilege of teaching my best friend. Just wanted to help others! :3

Image by cakeindafridge on dA.
My dA - http://zinci.deviantart.com/

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 01:38:12 pm »
Loverly tutorial there c:

I'll be using this. This tutorial is also very helpful for users who want to change the color of items in general.

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.