Author Topic: A slight surge in evil and 'Bad guy' RolePlay?  (Read 3994 times)

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
A slight surge in evil and 'Bad guy' RolePlay?
« on: November 13, 2013, 05:36:36 pm »
As the Title states above, I have noticed that there a few more, 'Evil' RolePlays.
In WC and other things, and it disturbs me slightly.
Okay, I Am distopian by Nature, But its starting to bother and also annoy m when ever I see these come up, they are almost all, well, Darker, than I think may be needed.
I know I know, its a creative type of thing, but still.
And they always have seemed to be wining, and I am appalled by how many are 'Joining' ranks with them, like the WC world of Rp, TUR and SC, and IL too.  I know they are kind of breaking canon by accepting wolves, but to me, it just seems like a message that say, 'HEY! YOU! Go away!  We're stronger, faster, bigger, and have very hungry friends!  We will kill you all unless you leave NOW!' <--- Not the best Ex but you get my drift I hope.
Why is everyone just abandoning ship and joining the 'Winning' end of this equation? (Yes, I know that the 'Good' guys were   'Defeated' and would 'cause' people to join the winning side, but It strikes me as, Despicable, Awful, and Immoral.)

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Heren

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
Re: A slight surge in evil and 'Bad guy' RolePlay?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 06:17:06 pm »
From my experiences, it may be because the evil sides are more skilled in combat RP and tactics. From many battles I've been in, the evil side even outnumbered, we have won simply from more complex strategies and techniques- not saying that the "good" side didn't have skilled members themselves though. Really, groups like SC and even TUR could be taken down with the right set of ideas. Like TUR had defeated SC once, for example, if I remembered correctly.

As far as the wolves go in TUR. That was simply because many who wanted to join mostly played as wolves, and I wouldn't force them to play a cat. It wasn't with thoughts of advantage, though I will admit they helped in many battles. The clans could do the same if they really wanted too.

I do know that IL and TUR are neutral as far as morals. My character Ivy, former leader of TUR, has only killed 2 or 3 cats for the whole time I've been playing her for she tries to show mercy.

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 11:30:23 pm »
From my experiences, it may be because the evil sides are more skilled in combat RP and tactics. From many battles I've been in, the evil side even outnumbered, we have won simply from more complex strategies and techniques- not saying that the "good" side didn't have skilled members themselves though.

.... if you count powerplaying as a skill in combat.
I'm not saying that all the roleplayers who are part of these "evil" clans are powerplayers, it's just that whenever I watch them battle another clan there is an awful lot of powerplaying. And when I say powerplaying, I'm not talking about someone from the "evil" side saying, "The tom charged up to the warrior and swiped his head off." No, I'm talking about dodging attacks, claiming that they feel no pain, don't get tired, and recieve no injuries. In fact, some of the warriors in the "evil" clan don't respond to the attacks made by someone of the opposing team. They don't even say as much as an "Ouch!" Why is it that some of these fighters of the "evil" clan don't show any signs of getting tired, growing weaker, or sustaining injuries in a battle with another clan? It doesn't seem fair in my book.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen a few skilled roleplayers in these clans you speak of. But there are some that don't like to play fairly and claim themselves as unstoppable and all powerful. It gets a little frustrating, especially if there are some people who don't even want to participate in a battle.

I have nothing against these antagonistic clans, or any villian characters at all. Having antagonists in a roleplay builds more conflict and more plot to a story and can probably improve the story. I don't like it when there is excessive powerplaying or unfair play.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:33:04 pm by Lady_Alizarin »
Inactive

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:42:47 pm »
A former SC Apprentice named, oh what was it . . oh yes, 'RavenPaw', tried to kill FrostStar and my whole clan by herself, and Power played the whole dang thing.

And I agree Lady, Antagonists in Rps can make pretty neat plots, but to a point.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Heren

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 12:05:12 am »
Oh yes. I have noticed the "I can't feel pain" people. It becomes less RP for them and into something they have to win. But I had meant that mostly, or at least from what I've seen, the powerful "evil" groups are more likely to have members who know how a battle runs  and is set up- though now that I think about it, I do agree many still power-play. Besides in massive battles that often start in the WC world, there is bound to be power-play. I just wish all groups could have their leaders go over what is and not PP before battles, but that would never happen.

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 12:14:35 am »
Oh yes. I have noticed the "I can't feel pain" people. It becomes less RP for them and into something they have to win. But I had meant that mostly, or at least from what I've seen, the powerful "evil" groups are more likely to have members who know how a battle runs  and is set up- though now that I think about it, I do agree many still power-play. Besides in massive battles that often start in the WC world, there is bound to be power-play. I just wish all groups could have their leaders go over what is and not PP before battles, but that would never happen.

It would also be better if some of these roleplayers weren't so focused on their characters winning battles all the time. Often times these roleplayers think that if they lose a battle, others will think their character is weak and a push-over. Winning isn't everything and you can't win them all. Even my protagonist characters have lost battles and squables  before. It doesn't make them weak, it just makes them more real and normal.
Inactive

Offline Heren

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 01:59:01 am »
That is very true. Also, some players don't believe in retreating and will fight until their character is dead- opposed to backing off and being called a coward.

Offline Transatlantic

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • Friendly Neighbourhood Blue Dog Thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 12:36:14 pm »
I feel like shadier groups are harder to pull off well, but they're usually more fun to roleplay in. Dark roleplays attract people. No idea why, they just do. A lot of people take making a dark roleplay, though, for making an ultra-cliched, cannibalistic, roguish, grimdark evil group. Which is always a very boring group to be in, unless you're a miracle worker, or unless you work  towards developing the pack into that instead of starting off as it.

I've always noticed it revolves heavily around battling, though? Which makes sense, but it seems like a waste of possible fun to me. When I had a mapless pack, we got approached one time by a much larger group, who gave us promptly no warning before trying to roleplay ruthlessly slaughtering our pack (which had just started that day.) That's kind of ridiculous. And incredibly rude. They seeemed annoyed that we wouldn't roleplay with them, even though they didn't really ask at all.

It just isn't fun to me when you make the whole thing about bloodshed. It isn't that realistic, and it won't keep interest for that long. I do love the idea of somebody making a "good" pack with full intentions to develop it the opposite direction. Development is fun. Constantly being in a slaughterfest is not.

ZombieKitteh

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 07:12:32 pm »
Are we referring to Warrior cat roleplays completely or-? Because my post-apocalyptic roleplay Pandemonium Plague is 'darker' themed. Sort of unavoidable since it is post-apocalyptic. It's a very detailed, well thought out roleplay with tons of history, lore and plots. There is a 'evil' group in the roleplay called the Caedis. The group revolves around insanity and honestly I wont deny it gets very dark at some points. Cannibalism is a thing, death, torture, sacrificial offerings. I feel though if managed and developed well darker roleplays and groups can be good. As long as they have their own inner interesting plots and stories rather then constant bloodshed.

For example the Caedis is made up of creatures infected by the virus of my roleplay. They're insanity is linked to that, but over time the tibe and 'infecteds' has developed over time. They went from beasts mindlessly killing, to focusing and strategizing abit more. Over generations the virus has dulled down quite a bit in a way and at the same time become potent. They're minds are no longer weak and they can hold onto sanity. They have thought processes and create plans and ploys. Though torture and gore is still a big part of the roleplay the main goal of the leader currently is to infect the world so everyone will be equal and the virus will become a part of normal life.

So yes anyways, I feel if a 'evil' group is done correctly and has potential to develop over just constant gore it can be good.

Offline liontamer1

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • I wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 02:01:10 am »
I have notice that as well, but I believe it is just a phase.

A while ago, I noticed that pokemon where very common. And before that I noticed that it was warrior cats. Everything is popular at one point, then it dies down. It works this way in the real world, too.

I, myself, tend to prefer "darker" roleplays. Although they are hard to pull off, as mentioned before, they can be interesting and can have many different ending because the characters do not have a stable mind.

Why people are attracted to such an odd thing? I guess we will never know for sure, but we can guess.

In the real world, most people are good. We do exciting things in ours lives, but can only express our feeling to a certain degree.  We cannot commit these actions such as sacrifice, torture and so forth, without ruining the rest of our life. So, by writing about them, people can express their feelings without any harm done. You see?

I guess it could be just a break from the norm, and people could be realizing that there are many topics to roleplay about rather than just your average hero.
It could also simply be that people are copying others to fit in. But, alas, we will never truly know why there is such a sudden increase.

If people are planning to create darker roleplays, there is not much we can do about it, except educate them on the proper ways to go about doing so. (i.e not just about gore)

Does anyone else notice that it tends to be the younger players who are creating more of the "darker" roleplays?

\
Take me, I am not afraid