Author Topic: A small rant  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Yognaught

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • ??
    • View Profile
A small rant
« on: May 15, 2015, 04:20:59 pm »
This has been getting on my nerves for a couple days, and I really need to get this out or else I actually wont let it go.

People who mention 'Irish' in their username.

Okay, don't get me wrong, I love seeing fellow Irish people on Feral-Heart but it comes to a point wear some people wear it as some kind of badge?? It's like:

oh yeah im irish so unique

No, sorry, you're not a special snowflake because of your nationality. I don't see too many Americans (or any other country for that matter and this is just from my experience) parading their nationality around like it's their A+ art project. Literally, do you think that other countries think that we don't have tech, and plug our phones into potatoes and own farms? No. We are the exact same as any other country. You're not some big-foot sighting that everbody has to fawn over because you're Irish.

Sorry, just a little pet peeves of mine that I needed to share.

Find me in-game as: mushyroom

Offline xXQueenXx

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • Sippin tea
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/
    • View Profile
Re: A small rant
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 05:14:53 pm »
I love it when I find someone who came from the same place as I did.
I think it's interesting to hear about the small differences in everyday culture and what-not but I agree with you. Some people are just proud, I suppose.
I don't usually go tell everyone where i'm from but when I do, I always expect a few questions. But that doesn't bother me.
You'd be surprised as to how little some people know about other countries. To some, other places seem like different planets because where they are is all they've ever known.
Anyway, even if you come from somewhere you may not particularly like, I think you should always keep your head high about it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 10:03:57 pm by Escalade- »

Offline Owly

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 9
    • Kryvul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 10:00:13 pm »
I'm surprised it's not an American this time [Okay yes this is 100% a joke, since I'm also American]

However, there's a line between being proud, and boasting. I'm proud to be Cuban American, my father being native to Cuba. In fact, I like to see people who take pride in telling others where they're from. It's rather interesting to learn, and to see people who care that much to say it to complete strangers.

But the line draws when they flaunt it, yes. When they say, or imply that their country is better than others, or has something better than others, etc. That's not right. Since, they are opinions, and as we know those tend to get out of hand in game.

Offline Hooli

• Used Napkin
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 67
  • uwu
    • hooiigans
    • xmanicz
    • k_tlyn99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:20:35 pm »
IMO Putting it in their username isn't /too/ bad but if they go around saying, "I'm so-and-so so I'm better than you!" or, "I'm so-and-so aren't I awesome?" then they should just stop right there 'cause it's downright annoying.

in-game: hooli

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 07:43:35 pm »
I think it's good to be proud of your country and where you come from. Some people I know attempt to actually hide their nationality and pretend they live somewhere else. (Like America, for instance.)

But yes, I think when pride turns to boasting, they need to dial down their excitement. I did have a person speak to me, and after every single sentence he wrote, "-says in an Irish accent-." I couldn't avoid it until I asked him if he lived in Ireland.

I'm not complaining, though. That person turned out to be a good friend of mine, and it didn't really bother me all that much.

But as long as they're being respectful and kind, I think they're ok.

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 11:31:41 pm »
This is a rather petty thing to get ticked off by tbh.

Offline magicfairy

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 55
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 11:48:29 pm »
I'm okay with it in their username honestly, my ancestors were Irish by the way. Some people are just proud of their nationality, I'm pretty proud of my nationality but understand the annoyance I could make putting American in my username.
vanitas · he/they/it/fae

Offline Dawnwings

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 04:24:33 am »
I can understand that completely. Although I am half Irish, I would get quite annoyed if they had it in their name/ bragged about it in every sentence.

Offline KatanaWolf

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • Delete this account.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 08:13:24 pm »
I don't really mind people stating where they come from as long as their aren't flaunting it, and saying their better then everyone else who doesn't share the same nationality. Their is nothing wrong with being proud of your country it's just when the boasting starts that it should stop.
Account no longer in use.