Author Topic: A Guide to Making Realistic Dragons!  (Read 11502 times)

Offline Wolflover224

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
  • Im an IRL dolphin; On hiatus
    • the-sketchy-orca
    • View Profile
A Guide to Making Realistic Dragons!
« on: June 20, 2015, 11:56:19 pm »
Ok, so I have seen that most people are having trouble making realistic dragons, and they usually end up with something like this

Or like this.

First thing you notice is that they have bright colors, right? We must abide by one of the laws of nature while making one, or making anything that is realistic, which is "nothing is pure white, pure black, or neon". First off, think about the habitat your dragon will thrive in. Is it snowy? If so, make it white (but not pure white!). Is it in a forest? Make the colors grey, brown, green (not neon or bright green!), or black (but not pure black!).

Think realistically here. What would happen if you placed a bright white and blue dragon in the middle of a forest? The chances are is that it will either die from predation or starvation. What would happen if you placed a dark colored dragon in the middle of a snowy habitat such as a tundra? It would also suffer the same consequences as the white and blue dragon.

Now, I know it can be hard making a dragon in the aquatic class, but you must think about the surroundings aswell. This means no bright colors! First of all, think about how shallow the water in the habitat is. Is the habitat a shallow pond? Then I would recommend making the dragon a sand color to blend in with the bottom, or an algae color to blend in with the top or the banks. Is the habitat an ocean? If so, make it a light, sunny blue (not bright neon light blue!) at the bottom, and a darker blue at the top.

Now, there is one question that some people are probably asking: What about the fire? Fire is only available to those who have the ability of flight. The secret to a dragon's flight is not their wings, but their lungs. Dragons with the ability to fly have two lungs and a special bacteria in their stomachs that causes them to produce hydrogen (a gas that is highly flammable and lighter than air), that then flows into their second pair of lungs. What about the fire? I'm just getting to that part.
All dragons have molars, whether they are carnivores or not. However, the molars in flying dragons are larger, stronger, harder, and can easily crush stone; specifically platinum. Why platinum? Because when struck together, platinum creates a spark. Flying dragons with the ability to breathe fire have special cheek pouches made to hold this rare earth metal. When these cheek pouches are moved in a special way, it causes the platinum to create a spark. The dragon, before doing this, will breathe out the hydrogen in its lungs, and then will ignite it, thus creating the illusion of breathing fire. Dragons with this ability have a flap in the back of their throats to prevent backfires, similar to that of an alligator's or a crocodile's, which is used to prevent water from draining into their throats when submerged. This flap is found in the throats of sea dragons, which is used for the same purpose as the ones found on crocodiles and alligators. However, the more hydrogen a dragon breathes out, the more it will lower in altitude due to being unable to lift its weight.

Now for the classes. Dragon species and subspecies are categorized into different groups, known as classes. Dragons have various classes, just like they have various species.

Insectoid
Insectoid dragons have the appearance (or parts) of insects, arachnids, invertebrate, or any other arthropod. These dragons are usually characterized by having multiple eyes that make up one large eye, having exoskeletons aswell as skeletons, jointed appendages, and/or lacey insectlike wings.

Mammalian
Mammalian dragons have lots of fur covering most places, visible genitals, warm blood, and have the appearance (or parts) of mammals. Even though reptilian dragons can have fur, mammalian dragons have more fur than any other dragon.

Reptilian
Reptilian dragons are mostly covered in scales, have cold blood, and will molt and shed their skin as they grow larger. Reptilian dragons can grow fur, but they do not have as much as mammalian dragons do. These dragons are most common amongst stories and folklore.

Amphibious
Amphibious dragons, as their name suggests, spend part of their lives in the water and the other part on land. Their young are called nymphs, and when born may not have fully developed lungs, and must stay in the water until their lungs do develop fully. Amphibious dragons cannot spend their entire lives out of water, and if they try to, their skin will become dehydrated and they will die. Amphibious dragons may have very soft scales, or even no scales at all.

Aquatic
Aquatic dragons spend most of their lives in the water, and can have lungs, gills, or even both. Most aquatic dragons are incapable of flight, and use their "wings" as an extra pair of fins, which they use to glide through the water. They, like crocodiles and alligators, have the flap in the backs of their throats used for the same purpose. Their hands and/or feet are usually webbed, similar to a duck's feet or a fish's fins.

Hope this helped! If you have any questions, please message me or say so in the comments.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 12:15:47 am by Ashyak »

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: A Guide to Making Realistic Dragons!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 03:29:52 am »
Moving this to the "Character and Roleplay Tutorials" section inside the "Member Made Tutorials" Board, since your topic is a guide for helping other users.

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline Whisperingwaves

• #2FAB4U
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 135
  • #SlainyTheBattleTurkey
    • Whisperingwaves
    • @slainytbm
    • View Profile
    • Kiros
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 05:46:04 am »
Very nice tutorial, many dragon rpers will find this handy c: Would like to see more tutorials from you in the future ^^

~ Whisper

Avatar by Chezdip on Lioden || Signature by Jackdaw ♥
In-Game As Whisperingwaves

Echoing harmony

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 02:49:47 pm »
Very nice, Ashyak. Thanks for sharing, I sure alot of players will find this handy.

Offline Hooli

• Used Napkin
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 67
  • uwu
    • hooiigans
    • xmanicz
    • k_tlyn99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 04:14:17 pm »
This is a really helpful tutorial! I'm sure a lot of people will really find this useful, thanks for sharing!

in-game: hooli

Offline ritat

• Incarnated Angel
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 156
  • Will be inactive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 04:47:30 pm »
Although I don't do dragons, or fancy them, this is very helpful! <3 Thank you very much for this and other people can actually know what color match with what dragon they do.

Offline Azonia

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • We only regret the choices we didn't take.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 08:39:26 am »
Even though I don't really use objects such as horns, wings ect. on my character, I really needed a tutorial on how to make realistic dragons but I couldn't find them anywhere! I'm trying to make a dragon just for fun to start out with and this has helped me loads! Thanks!

Offline Wolflover224

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
  • Im an IRL dolphin; On hiatus
    • the-sketchy-orca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 09:40:33 pm »
Oh my gosh, so much love ;?; You're welcome!

Offline Shamouseyxx

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Boy Meets World trashcan
    • 5secondsofcataclysm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 08:30:06 pm »
As much as I genuinely love dragons, I don't roleplay with them but this is very helpful and cool. Thank you.
Hello, darlings! My name is Taylor!
If you ever need any help or just want to chat, feel free to PM me!
In-game name: shamouseyxx
--WON'T BE IN-GAME UNTIL MY LAPTOP IS FIXED. I USE MY PHONE--

Offline AbyssalRadiance

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 04:38:12 am »
This is very informative and well-detailed, but I must say I feel there's some issues here...We all understand dragons are mythical; anyone can make their own species of anything, including dragons...so those two examples you showed can be perfectly reasonable and players shouldn't feel limited in their imaginations.

I myself have a special space, or astral dragon. It has spiritual origins but I made a character from my experiences.
Granted, FH is limited in what it can do but it has one of the better character creators, so this is the best I could do in making her:

Is this "unrealistic" or "wrong"? If so....does that mean I should feel bad?

Obviously your info is talking dragons based on real animals, but again..players shouldn't be discouraged from creativity or gut feelings. Besides all that, this is a really nice and unique post.
(And please for the love of whatever deity you believe in, do not think I'm trying to be rude or anything, because I promise I'm not ;o; )
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 04:44:43 am by AbyssalRadiance »