Author Topic: "Evil" characters and groups  (Read 2201 times)

Offline unnbrellas

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
"Evil" characters and groups
« on: June 29, 2015, 03:12:22 am »
Okay, so one of my bigger "pet peeves" is the aforementioned "evil" characters and groups. Sorry if I offend anyone, you're of course able to disagree, these are just my thoughts. Anyways.....

I've always hated them. I kinda can accept it from small groups with animal effort but in, but when you have huge roleplays with gorgeous maps and all this work and effort, it's just sad.

Why bother with all that work if you don't even bother to give your character/group a decent motive? Come on people! Okay, so a rival pack is invading your territory. Why? How about instead of them just being "evil" they are starving to death. Or maybe something chased them out. Give everything a reason beyond "because they're evil". It can add so much more to a roleplay, and it really opens new doors for character development.

It's one thing to have a character be in the wrong, but allow me to quote Tom Hiddleston here when I say that "Every Villain is a hero in his own mind". Let your characters learn from they're mistakes, or make tough moral choices. Blur the lines a little bit!

So, what do you all think? Are flat out "evil" characters okay sometimes, but maybe not all the time? Am I way to harsh about these characters? (Probably lol)

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??

Offline alexterri

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • We are One
    • View Profile
Re: "Evil" characters and groups
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 04:44:48 am »

Offline xXQueenXx

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • Sippin tea
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 11:52:23 am »
I've been apart of a couple "evil" roleplay groups myself.
It was a small group at first and we were all pretty experienced when it came to RPing and our plot had been written and planned out prior. 
But as our story grew, so did our group numbers.
We all had some kind of backstory from each of our own characters we were using and had a reason for creating the group because it strung in well with our RP.
What I mean is we didn't just all meet up one day and say "hey, lets make an evil group lol"
But I understand what you are talking about.
It's definitely a pet peeve of mine too -- the way people choose to have those pitch black coloured characters and give the typical "my parents died and i am evil" bio.
Because it is their choice and they are choosing to be commonly boring. (Was that too harsh?)

Offline Panzram

• Reject false icons
  • Floof-O-Meter: 95
  • Chai tea addict
    • Koicrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 02:19:28 pm »
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 02:22:00 pm by Panzram »

In-game user: Panzramic

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 05:14:44 pm »
I agree with this entirely.
I feel that people are being evil just for the sake of going on killing sprees, or just for plot. Very few have a true reason for their crusades. Those groups that do have a reason for being "evil," however, actually do very well in progressing the plot or changing things around with a powerful twist.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 05:41:16 pm »
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 05:44:10 pm by wolfie. »
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline geofox80191

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 07:28:27 pm »
Again with the evil characters. It really annoys me when I'm in an Rp and some evil characters come up. They just want attention, and honestly, it's really annoying. I was rping in a WC rp when some evil cats with weapons came up and attacked us. It was really annoying and it made me disband the group.

Back to the topic. I don't mind it when people have an evil character, but when they start saying that their parents died or that their parents beat them or abandoned them, it starts to get out of hand. Maybe they are just doing it because they feel as if 'good characters' are boring, or they just want attention. If they want to have some insane character, they should make their own Rp about evil characters, or join one that's already been made, but don't bug people by being evil when it's a out of control.

Offline unnbrellas

• Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 07:31:23 pm »

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??

ThrillexForLife

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 04:38:07 pm »
I honestly can't stand groups and evil character's together. In order for the group - plus the evil characters, to work together, you would need a plot that stands out a reason why you character is evil. Most evil rps today are jus same all. Then again, it just depends. Evil characters however can be annoying.

Offline jay warfang

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 04:26:14 am »