Author Topic: Can anybody help?  (Read 2914 times)

Offline moonshimmer100

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
Can anybody help?
« on: May 04, 2013, 10:17:11 pm »
I am posting this because I need a bit of help. I know FeralHeart is not a good place to ask this but I figured there are a lot of animal lovers on here so maybe someone can help. I have two female hooded rats, Lily and Kira. They are not from the same litter or anything I got them at different pet stores. When I got Lily she was the only female in a cage full of males. I had her for about a week before I went to another pet store to buy a friend for her, Kira was in a litter of all females. They never fought they took to eachother from the start since they're both quite young. Lately though Lily has been acting quite different. She is eating a lot more then usual like I mean a LOT. The food in thier food dish has been disappearing a lot faster then usual. today i was playing with both my rats and I was giving them peas as a treat. Lily was being a huge pig she ate so many peas I could hardly believe it and Kira was enjoying them too , but Lily ate 4 times as much peas as Kira. Also Lily has been getting fatter, Her and Kira are the same size except Lily's stomach is fatter. Lily is also lazier then normal she sl;eeps most of the ady wich is unusual for her, and sometimes when I go to bed it sounds like her and Kira are fighting and when I turn the lights on to check them it appears that they were fighting or something. They've never fought before. I am thinking lily might be pregnant because as I said before she was the only female in a cage full of males when I got her and I read somewhere that rats can reproduce at a young age, and it appears that it's Lily's lower stomach that's getting fat and it feels pretty firm and she doesn't like being picked up around her stomach anymore, around her chest is not so fat like she is like egg shaped or something. Does anybody know if she is pregnant or if something is wrong with her? Please help I have never had rats before i've had Lily for 28 days.
Hello random person! ^_^

BouncyLion101

Re: Can anybody help?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 01:15:33 am »
I think she is pregnant, if you notice her making a nest in her cage then you should expect some little rat babies.

Offline moonshimmer100

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 01:31:13 am »
I think she is pregnant, if you notice her making a nest in her cage then you should expect some little rat babies.

Thank you! Do you know what I should do for her?
Hello random person! ^_^

BouncyLion101

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 02:21:36 am »
I'm no pet rat expert..but I think you should tell your parents about this, ask what them what they think you should do with the babies and your pet rat. Rats usually have like 7 babies, so I suggest you sell them if you can't take care of that many all at once.

Also might want to check out this website, it tells you how to take care of the babies when they are born.

Offline moonshimmer100

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 02:25:38 am »
Ok thank you :) I have talked to my parents about it they didn't really state thier opinion on the matter.
Hello random person! ^_^

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 03:34:20 am »
Yeah it definately sounds like she is pregnant. I've had rats before as pets and usually when they start doing things like that and showing all the signs it's because they are pregnant. Like Bouncy said I'd suggest that you give her some soft and squishy material that she can easily tear up with her teeth to use as a nest. (Stuff like tissue or soft paper towls, sponges, cotton etc) You can even give her a little box to nest in inside her cage so that she'll feel more secure. Also make sure that the enclosure that you have her and her friend in is big enough for the two of them so that Lily doesn't get to pushy when her babies come. Make sure you give her nice soft bedding like pine chips, keep it clean, and keep feeding her good healthy food since she is now eatting for her babies too. Goodluck and enjoy the experience :3

Offline moonshimmer100

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 04:00:16 pm »
Thank you guys for the help! it turns out i may have overeacted a bit she is just getting fat and lazy and she likes to dominate Kira sincec I had her first. Sorry for the inconveniance i was just convinced that she could be. She can be a silly unusal rat sometimes :3
Hello random person! ^_^

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 195
  • Where is the Walrus Species?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 04:52:37 pm »
A sudden increase in appetite usually means she's pregnant. As this is common trait for most "Mothers to be" they increase there eating to also feed them and there litter they are carrying. Looks like someone os going to be a grandma. Anyway, like mentioned above already leave necessary items for her to make a proper nest for herself, if not something suitable to be one such as a hand made next. Here ill also provide a link of more information on this so it would give you a better idea:
http://voices.yahoo.com/caring-pregnant-rat-newborn-babies-10869149.html

But something like this shouldn't be quiet, I would tell your parents about this and what actions should be taken. Taking care of a mama rat and her babies isn't really a walk in the park. Ovcorse they can naturally take care of themselves but without proper monitoring over the babies and if she does give birth to a male, then there might be more babies you got on your hands. Perhaps get your rats neutered to prevent more babies.
I Stalk from time to time...I have moved on to other things but do miss this place. Good times
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358

Offline moonshimmer100

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 02:08:45 am »
A sudden increase in appetite usually means she's pregnant. As this is common trait for most "Mothers to be" they increase there eating to also feed them and there litter they are carrying. Looks like someone os going to be a grandma. Anyway, like mentioned above already leave necessary items for her to make a proper nest for herself, if not something suitable to be one such as a hand made next. Here ill also provide a link of more information on this so it would give you a better idea:
http://voices.yahoo.com/caring-pregnant-rat-newborn-babies-10869149.html

But something like this shouldn't be quiet, I would tell your parents about this and what actions should be taken. Taking care of a mama rat and her babies isn't really a walk in the park. Ovcorse they can naturally take care of themselves but without proper monitoring over the babies and if she does give birth to a male, then there might be more babies you got on your hands. Perhaps get your rats neutered to prevent more babies.
Thank you! but it turns out Lily is not pregnant, id she was it would be the longest rat pregnancy ever! she appears to have lost a bit of weight and gotten back to normal, eating normal. She had been building a pretty hidden nest before but she stopped that when she got back to normal. Maybe she was pregnant and the babies died? I have no clue. She isn't showing any signs anymore. Maybe she was just getting fat and lazy, no clue.
Hello random person! ^_^