Author Topic: Characters: Do you Prefer Realistic, Semi-Realistic, or Unrealistic?  (Read 8722 times)

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
Realistic, Unrealistic, or Somewhere In Between?

When it comes to designing a character, what kind of characters do you like to make the most?

Examples:

Realistic
Realistic characters look exactly like the animals of the real world, with realistic fur colors, patterns, behaviors, etc. Are you the kind of person that likes to make animal characters that are very realistic in fur color and fur patterns? Are you the kind of person that likes to participate in realistic roleplays?

Semi-Realistic
Semi-Realistic characters have some realistic fur colors and fur patterns to them, but have a hint of unnatural characteristics, such as unnatural eye colors, tufts of hair, etc. Some people design their characters like this to give them a more cartoonish look or just a hint of uniqueness. Are you the kind of person that likes making a realistic character with a hint of unnatural colors and characteristics?

Unrealistic
These are the characters with unnatural fur colors and patterns; reds, pinks, greens, blues, neon colors, florescent colors, ultra violets, royal marine, etc. They are designed with any colors, patterns, accessories, the creator wishes them to have. Some people would consider these characters as "sparkle dogs" or "sparkle cats". Are you a fan of making these kind of characters?
[/color]

I myself, personally like making characters that are in the middle of realistic and unrealistic.... semi-realistic is what I like to call it. I like making characters with natural fur colors/patterns but give them unrealistic eye colors. I like to give them that cartoony kind of look, because to me it adds a little more character to them.
How about you? What is your character fancy?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:10:21 am by LadyAlizarin »
Inactive

NietKo

Re: Characters: Do you Prefer Realistic, Semi-Realistic, or Unrealistic?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 11:53:56 pm »
I mostly prefer Semi-Realistic, and Realistic.

Then again, I do like to experiment with bright against dark colors. XD

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 12:38:54 am »
Nearly all of my characters are realistic, or try to be as near to it as possible on FeralHeart. I've downloaded mods for realistic fur textures, mask, and even realistic roars and howls. XD Love me realism, I do.
It's mainly the serious RP characters that are really realistic; the ones that I just sometimes derp about on are more semi-realistic. I have to look up the species of my character on google or something when I'm in the process of making it, just so it looks as realistic as it can.
I can't think of a good reason why I don't like unrealistic characters...I just don't. I think it's may because it sends out the message (to me at least) that the person didn't really put much thought or effort into making their character and just threw some bright colours together. But I'm not totally sure; must just be one of those things that gets to me.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 12:58:15 am »
I'm fine with whatever others make- providing it's not too sore on the eyes. Sometimes, that luminious green and pink monstrosity isn't such a great idea; they're occasionally physically painful to look at- which makes roleplaying with such characters a difficult feat (unless you're equipped with sunglasses...)!

In terms of character design, I tend to keep my own realistic- though I've two with unrealistic (though very muted) colouration. Even then, I've no preference as to whether the roleplay's an unrealistic fantasy or a realistic pack- I just prefer natural colours on my own characters. :D

Nearly all of my characters are realistic, or try to be as near to it as possible on FeralHeart. I've downloaded mods for realistic fur textures, mask, and even realistic roars and howls. XD Love me realism, I do.
It's mainly the serious RP characters that are really realistic; the ones that I just sometimes derp about on are more semi-realistic. I have to look up the species of my character on google or something when I'm in the process of making it, just so it looks as realistic as it can.
I can't think of a good reason why I don't like unrealistic characters...I just don't. I think it's may because it sends out the message (to me at least) that the person didn't really put much thought or effort into making their character and just threw some bright colours together. But I'm not totally sure; must just be one of those things that gets to me.

My unrealistic characters (one's in a serious, long-term roleplay!) often take longer to make than my realistic characters- mainly since I attempt to make them look like a plausible creature, as opposed to a spontaneously throwing together a mishmash of neon purples and blacks. Not all of them are lazy; even realistic characters can easily be made with a haphazard mixture of muted brows and greys with ease! :P

I do understand your point though; everyone has their own personal tastes! Just had to ramble a little, apologies!

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 01:08:12 am »
My unrealistic characters (one's in a serious, long-term roleplay!) often take longer to make than my realistic characters- mainly since I attempt to make them look like a plausible creature, as opposed to a spontaneously throwing together a mishmash of neon purples and blacks. Not all of them are lazy; even realistic characters can easily be made with a haphazard mixture of muted brows and greys with ease! :P

I do understand your point though; everyone has their own personal tastes! Just had to ramble a little, apologies!

I think was I was referring to was a bit on the extreme side. The characters that people make with neon colours to troll other people with suit the description of mixing random colours together much more than a unrealistic roleplay character for...I don't know...fantasy roleplay perhaps. I don't really know much of this subject since I haven't really been involved in unrealstic roleplays.
God, I'm so picky...  :D

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline Azorukon

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 19
  • YEET YEET
    • Azorukonn
    • View Profile
    • FA
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 02:11:44 am »
i guess for me it really doesnt matter, i guess for rping i prefer semi it really depends on what creature I' rping as, if its a dragon then unrealistic, wolf rp i think it would be okay to be semi or realistic as a lion well i never roleplay as lions or anything xD

BouncyLion101

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 06:00:21 am »
For me it depends on the species of the character.
If it's a lion I usually make it realistic or semi realistic.
My wolf characters are mostly unrealistic, in fact I don't think I've ever had a realistic wolf character, ever.

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 195
  • Where is the Walrus Species?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 06:25:01 am »
Actually I have two characters that represent me..Baku MTEC, and Feareh. Now you've seen Baku before XD he's nowhere close to realistic. Reason why is cause I like keeping to my love of creative creature design. And Feareh (in my signature) is just a realistic Jaguar. So a little of both I would have to say I like
I Stalk from time to time...I have moved on to other things but do miss this place. Good times
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358

Offline Raxoremys

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 09:47:29 am »
My characters usually fall within the bounds of realistic to semi-realistic. At the moment, I think I have...two unrealistic characters(one isn't actually a working character at all, just my map tester).
Being an artist, I tend to obsess over all the colours until they look natural and perfect. So bright sparklewolves very rarely grace my character list with their presence XD

Celticin

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 10:48:08 am »
I like realistic colouring but with different patterns than the real animal, just to add a bit of uniqueness to it. I definitely don't like the neons that run around and make me what to get sunglasses, I think that's a little extreme. Rarely ever is there an unrealistic character that I play as