Author Topic: Item creations and retexturation  (Read 812 times)

Offline Alhiano

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
Item creations and retexturation
« on: January 04, 2018, 05:07:30 pm »
Hello / Good evening !
If I created this topic, it's because a certain question has just appeared in my head. How do we create items to add on FH?
Many people showed how the texture changed, or how to add packs of items. But that's not the answer to my question. Because you see I would like to create my own items but I do not know how to do it, nor how to add them to the game afterwards. Thank you for taking the time to respond ! ^^
-KeishaWolf

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 170
    • View Profile
Re: Item creations and retexturation
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 05:12:42 pm »
You need to know how to 3D model if you want to make items. I would recommend using a program called Blender, it's free :) You can download it at www.blender.org

Before going straight into item making, I would recommend getting familiar with the program. There are plenty of tutorials available on the internet. 3D modeling is not easy and takes some time to get used to.

Once you're confident with 3D modeling, if you want, I can give you some links and pointers on the process of item making.

There is a tutorial for making items for Impressive Title models here. You may find this helpful also but it uses an older version of Blender (2.49b).

Good luck!

For items I tend to use Blender 2.49b as it has an ogre importing/exporting addon already installed.

This is the one I use: http://www.mediafire.com/download/jk7dnpj65khlj43/Blender+Foundation.zip

To allow Blender to export/import .mesh files you'll need to install Python version 2.6.6 (hopefully it should be included with the link above)

You'll need to Ogre CommandLineTools which convert .xml to .mesh visa versa. You can find the link here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ogre/files/ogre-tools/1.6.0/OgreCommandLineTools_1.6.0.msi/download

To start importing, copy and paste one of the Feralheart models (Feralheart >> Media >> Models) such as cbody1.mesh and paste it in the same folder as the CommandLineTools. From there drag the file into the OgreXmlConverter file and you should have an .xml file.

Open Blender and go File > Import and find the .xml file and hopefully the canine model should appear without any trouble. From there I would recommend the tutorial found on KITO... there's actually two but one is unfinished. You only need to follow up to texturing before exporting, no need to worry about item rigging, that's all Impressive Title stuff ^^

http://www.kitopen.com/t199-the-original-how-to-make-items-in-blender
http://www.kitopen.com/t2127-sombra-s-re-made-item-mesher-tutorial-currently-no-rigging-tutorial

Hope that all makes sense :)

Hopefully this will be able to answer your question as well as give you a few pointers as to what you need to know/should be doing before you import your own items into the game. It's a good idea to get a good grip on modeling first!

© short ' cakes on Discord ♡

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 05:35:14 pm »
I noticed that a retextured item mesh needs the material file within it changed or others may see it as a white object.  I haven't mastered this myself..  but yeah, something to watch out for.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline Alhiano

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 01:12:48 pm »
Thanks !