Author Topic: Powerplaying?  (Read 7269 times)

Offline TheApplePie

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 32
  • I breathe dan howell
    • View Profile
Re: Powerplaying?
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 10:20:02 pm »
I agree there.

let's be emo in a gerard way

http://fiixl.deviantart.com/

Offline Turtl

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Smallest profile picture to date.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 07:40:48 pm »
"Quiet people have the loudest minds."
- Stephen Hawking

Offline TheApplePie

• Finest Floof
  • I breathe dan howell
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 07:46:19 pm »
For the very start, powerplaying is quite the same as god modding and if it is only used a little, it's not powerplaying.
The whole meaning of powerplaying is that you 'over power' yourself.

Thank you anyway. c:

Offline Turtl

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 08:44:41 pm »
It is where I personally draw the line with my experiences, ofcourse the 2 are almost to close to seperate, for some atleast. Where you put the line at when its powerplay is also a completely personal experience  I would call it powerplay even if its 'a little' others might not.
- Stephen Hawking

Offline Nevercanth

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Do you have preparedness to tell a lie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 10:26:56 pm »

The pic hasn't happened yet, thank goodness, but I'm still worried it will eventually.
Thank you OP for bringing this up so that people can learn that shows of strength, deadliness, and brutality =/= character development.

??? ???? ?? ??? ???????? "??????"

??? ?? ???

Offline TheApplePie

• Finest Floof
  • I breathe dan howell
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 11:12:37 pm »
*slaps stamp of approval all over picture* with that one I agree limitlessly.

Offline Nevercanth

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Do you have preparedness to tell a lie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 11:28:43 pm »
Hahah, thanks. I usually have more artistic talent to lend, bu I lazy'd that one out.

??? ???? ?? ??? ???????? "??????"

??? ?? ???

S. Italy/Romano

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 06:59:11 pm »
Well, I don't necessarily agree with powerplayers, but I can see where they come from. With all of these action movies and animes portraying characters (especially main ones) as being larger that life, it's normal for younger audiences to be influenced by these portrayals, especially if they haven't seen anything else.

What movies are the most exiting? The ones where the hero gets almost killed and then rises right back up and the cycle repeats. But for that, you need someone who can make it look exiting, if I was batman... the entire franchise would quickly get duller than a rock. Look at batman running away from the bad guys, look at him trip and fall on even ground, watch as he stumbles and gets ridiculed.

No one wants to be that guy, people want heroic characters, strong, flawless heroes to be idolized and respected. Of course someone who's never been in any lethal danger will not actually be able to handle a life and death situation mostly because of fear and in the eyes of many people, that's a flaw, so there's one less motivation to make a regular character.

People don't realize that fear may be a good thing, a quality that lets you decide when too much is too much. So they make fearless characters, powerful destructive machines because that's how they're shown on TV.

Of course there are epic characters that aren't perfect and have flaws, but most people only see the positives and do not pay attention to the flaws, so then they do the same with their characters.

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 10:09:33 pm »
Well, I don't necessarily agree with powerplayers, but I can see where they come from. With all of these action movies and animes portraying characters (especially main ones) as being larger that life, it's normal for younger audiences to be influenced by these portrayals, especially if they haven't seen anything else.

What movies are the most exiting? The ones where the hero gets almost killed and then rises right back up and the cycle repeats. But for that, you need someone who can make it look exiting, if I was batman... the entire franchise would quickly get duller than a rock. Look at batman running away from the bad guys, look at him trip and fall on even ground, watch as he stumbles and gets ridiculed.

No one wants to be that guy, people want heroic characters, strong, flawless heroes to be idolized and respected. Of course someone who's never been in any lethal danger will not actually be able to handle a life and death situation mostly because of fear and in the eyes of many people, that's a flaw, so there's one less motivation to make a regular character.

I agree with this 100%

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Turtl

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 05:42:23 pm »

People don't realize that fear may be a good thing, a quality that lets you decide when too much is too much. So they make fearless characters, powerful destructive machines because that's how they're shown on TV.

Of course there are epic characters that aren't perfect and have flaws, but most people only see the positives and do not pay attention to the flaws, so then they do the same with their characters.
This, well said.

The endless scare for fail, the not willing of failing, It doesn't just happen in movies but everwhere around the entire world, humans are afraid of doing something wrong and thus this behavior carries over onto the roleplay world where godmodders emerge because they don't want to fail with their character either, this sadly is perfectly normal human behaviour and one has to learn first that others are not amused by their perfect character and that 'kills no miss' defies all roleplay ethics.
- Stephen Hawking