Author Topic: FeralHeart and GPU usage  (Read 1400 times)

Offline yourlocalcrow

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 43
  • they/them
    • View Profile
    • my deviantArt
FeralHeart and GPU usage
« on: July 10, 2019, 03:34:48 am »
Hi! I know I'm not a very active member of this community, but I had a thought after my computer bluescreened while FH was open: how resource-heavy is FH as an application? So I pulled up FH next to my task manager and made a character. Here's what I found:
> While simply loading the game and sitting on the title screen, the FH used up about 70% of my computer's GPU.
> While in the character creation and selection screens, FH used between 50-60% of my computer's GPU.
> While sitting in Lonely Cave, FH used anywhere from 40-60% of my computer's GPU.
> When I tabbed out of the game, it hovered around 15-30% GPU.

What's all that mean? If you're like me and had no idea what a GPU or a CPU was until about 15 minutes ago, here's a quote from an article I found:
Architecturally, the CPU is composed of just few cores with lots of cache memory that can handle a few software threads at a time. In contrast, a GPU is composed of hundreds of cores that can handle thousands of threads simultaneously. The ability of a GPU with 100+ cores to process thousands of threads can accelerate some software by 100x over a CPU alone. What’s more, the GPU achieves this acceleration while being more power- and cost-efficient than a CPU.

Your CPU, or central processing unit, does the basic things of your computer. Your GPU, or graphics processing unit, does the same things as your CPU but many times faster and can do a lot more of it at once. So if your GPU is being used up heavily, the application your running is pretty insane.

Out of my own curiosity, I made this survey that shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes. It asks about your setup, how often you usually lag and crash, in addition to asking about your GPU. I apologize if the wording is confusing, I tried my best. I'll leave it open for responses until next week (week of July 15), or until I'm happy with the amount of responses I've gotten, and then update this thread with the results.

If you don't know how to open task manager, here's how:
> WINDOWS COMPUTERS: press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC, and it will pop up.
> MAC COMPUTERS: Press COMMAND + SPACE to bring up Spotlight search field, and search for Activity Monitor, then open it. (I don't have a Mac myself, so I'm not sure what this will show you.)

I'm honestly not sure what I hope comes of this information, other than all of us being a little more informed of FH's impact on our computers.

Offline zRichtofen

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 19
  • yeen here
    • View Profile
Re: FeralHeart and GPU usage
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 03:48:53 am »
I believe the game uses more CPU than GPU, especially since most of the community is probably running on Intel based laptops.
My CPU is a Intel i7-6700 and my GPU is a Radeon RX 480 8GB. Should be plenty to handle this game like this, but i'm not sure if it's optimization or what that that sometimes makes the game itself lag. (but not my computer lag)

this is a double bass not a cello
feral neighborhood discord mod

Offline yourlocalcrow

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 43
  • they/them
    • View Profile
    • my deviantArt
Re: FeralHeart and GPU usage
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 03:52:32 am »
I believe the game uses more CPU than GPU, especially since most of the community is probably running on Intel based laptops.
My CPU is a Intel i7-6700 and my GPU is a Radeon RX 480 8GB. Should be plenty to handle this game like this, but i'm not sure if it's optimization or what that that sometimes makes the game itself lag. (but not my computer lag)

I made the survey based on my own quick look at my task manager and saw that GPU was being used the most heavily. I will add a section about CPU as well, though. Thank you!